Tutorial Videos: Sound Design with Analog - Available Now!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Android Bishop

Re: Tutorial Videos: Sound Design with Analog - Available Now!

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
NeoMetric wrote:ya but... why pay money for this? what's it got that's worth any cash whatsoever? i don't get how anyone thinks an 'ad' for information that's free all over youtube and everywhere is par for this forum. what am i missing?
Where is all of this information available on "Youtube and everywhere?" I haven't been able to find it, and what has turned up has varied greatly in quality. Meanwhile, lots of time and energy (months of working 10 hour days) have gone into writing, rewriting, creating sounds, and editing these videos into an order and format that will take someone with a widely variable knowledge of subtractive synthesis and Analog through a very deep exploration of some complex sounds, all described step-by-step in great detail. In addition to this, I'm very active in talking to my customers about what they've seen after they finish the series, so the support is ongoing in that sense.

Whether you see any value in this is up to you, but thankfully lots of people have tried it out and seem to be happy they did.

dont feed the trolls

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Android Bishop wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote:
NeoMetric wrote:ya but... why pay money for this? what's it got that's worth any cash whatsoever? i don't get how anyone thinks an 'ad' for information that's free all over youtube and everywhere is par for this forum. what am i missing?
Where is all of this information available on "Youtube and everywhere?" I haven't been able to find it, and what has turned up has varied greatly in quality. Meanwhile, lots of time and energy (months of working 10 hour days) have gone into writing, rewriting, creating sounds, and editing these videos into an order and format that will take someone with a widely variable knowledge of subtractive synthesis and Analog through a very deep exploration of some complex sounds, all described step-by-step in great detail. In addition to this, I'm very active in talking to my customers about what they've seen after they finish the series, so the support is ongoing in that sense.

Whether you see any value in this is up to you, but thankfully lots of people have tried it out and seem to be happy they did.

dont feed the trolls
Good point, I'm done with justifying what I do.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:37 pm

anybody who's got the cult following you do is probably doing SOMETHING right

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:04 am

@NeoMetric
...and why should anyone pay for your work - a work every idiot can do?

necho

Post by necho » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
Well - you make a living out of it right? That speaks for itself! :D
_________
sigs suck.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:13 pm

necho wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote:
Nah, just enough to pay the bills that I rack up while creating the tutorials. This is definitely no way to get rich :lol:

necho

Post by necho » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
necho wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote:
Nah, just enough to pay the bills that I rack up while creating the tutorials. This is definitely no way to get rich :lol:
Well - it generates income... good enough!

I wish I could figure out some way of getting a return on all the time and effort I've invested over the years...
_________
sigs suck.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:47 am

I bought some of the other tutorials and thought it was money well spent. Good productions that do way more than just scratch the surface. And I'm sure I'm going to get this one as well. Now for two quick points:

1. If you do a tutorial on Absynth or Alchemy I am sure to part with more of my money.

2. Ignore the troll(s). IMO, the quality of material covered in your videos more than outweighs the cost and thus the products defend themselves.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:05 pm

UncleAge wrote:I bought some of the other tutorials and thought it was money well spent. Good productions that do way more than just scratch the surface. And I'm sure I'm going to get this one as well. Now for two quick points:

1. If you do a tutorial on Absynth or Alchemy I am sure to part with more of my money.

2. Ignore the troll(s). IMO, the quality of material covered in your videos more than outweighs the cost and thus the products defend themselves.
There have been a lot of votes coming in for both Absynth and Alchemy lately from the mailing list as well, so adding that to the rest of the Ableton devices there seem to be plenty of options for the next series. Once I get my tutorial energy back I'll get started again. Thanks for the feedback!

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:23 am

As I continue to peep these, I'm finding uses I didn't even think of before! Just like your slicing and sound design vids, this series is helping breathe new life (inspirationally speaking) into Live for me! Nice!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 pm

+1 for Absynth

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 pm

Rahlo wrote:As I continue to peep these, I'm finding uses I didn't even think of before! Just like your slicing and sound design vids, this series is helping breathe new life (inspirationally speaking) into Live for me! Nice!
Awesome, I'm always psyched to hear this :)

jsn

Post by jsn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

I've finished viewing the this Analog sound design tutorial earlier today. There is Much included here, not only about Analog's features, but general sound design with subtractive synthesis and how to look at designing a sound based on a timeline and manipulation of envelopes so that they 'work' together during the evolution of a sound. There's much more than this even. I enjoyed this immensely. Nick has a focused professional, yet easy-to-follow way of approaching video tutorials. Highly recommended for someone wanting to REALLY get heavy into sound designing with Ableton's Analog instrument.

jsn

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm myself only an 'Operator' guy, and already have those (and others of your) tutorials. i will still buy the analog ones. i think those tutorials are great if they're for devices you don't know. i don't want to spend months exploring every corner of analog, i'm more productive in operator myself. thanks to your tutorials i will see very deep what i can do in analog, so i know quickly when it will be worth to explore analog for me.

and your tutorials (which i show some friends, too) are great just to gather random knowledge, even while one doesn't even use anything similar. it shows ways to approach ideas, finding solutions, etc. and you're nice to listen to, which is a big +.

so you'll soon see some money from my side shifting to yours again :)

but first i have to plug in my lemur now, just got it, can't wait :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

jsn

Post by jsn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:54 pm

davepermen wrote:I'm myself only an 'Operator' guy, and already have those (and others of your) tutorials. i will still buy the analog ones.
Dave, I thought VERY similar to you going into the decision. I own Suite and I never really spent much time with Analog before, because of Operator...BUT Nick points out some fantastic points about the instrument that are not at first obvious and make it a whole new animal compared to Operator. DO check it out in that case. There is also good info about mapping macro knobs and much more.