Girls and Electronic Music....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Girls and Electronic Music....

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:37 pm

taximouse wrote:this is perhaps relevant....speaking as a female with an actual career in music...you should know that there is an astonishing amount of pressure to be perfect in every way...in addition to being attractive/hot/perpetually young & not-overly-self-promoting. it does feel like females in the biz, no matter what level, have to continually prove themselves and get very little respect for having technical knowledge ..
On the subject of "hotness" I think the bias is actually in the opposite direction. I think everyone appreciates a weird-looking performer much more than a 'good looking' performer.

This is for both male and female musicians, because if musicians are too sexy there is an implication that they aren't musically very good. The odds seem against being both talented and good looking. It seems more likely they used their looks to get ahead.
Of course, in the pop world it helps to be 'beautiful' looking, but it's still the funny looking ones who are assumed to have "natural talent", anyone sexy is usually assumed to be a dimwit with the larynx of a bull seal.
This is also the case in stand-up comedy & acting. Beautiful is usually equated with shallowness.

Suggestion to any beautiful musicians out there: Get uglier if you want to imply talent and depth.

Does this guy look like the next Leonard Cohen or Aphex Twin to you?
prejudice exists for all of us.
even us beautiful people

*sniff*

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Kodama wrote:You don't know me at all, yet you assume to write my story from 6 words. I was replying to other people's assertions and the previous statements made in this thread that female musicians can not be these things.
You're right Kodama, as I said I didn't quote your name, because I was just irritated by this sentence and all kind of similar shit I read in this topic. I absolutely didn't mean to adress you in person, and I'm not the kind of proud and fierce guy able to categorize someone just with one of his sentences or opinions.

Totally sorry if I offended you, I absolutely respect everyone here.
Why not attack all of the blatant, actually sexist comments here?
this is what I aimed at with my post, taking your sentence as a representative quote.

Sorry mate, but saying "I know some brilliant intelligent girls" (making music or not), is for me an acceptance that it is a kind of exception...

again, sorry if I offended you, really didn't meant to.

cheers

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Angstrom wrote: prejudice exists for all of us.
even us beautiful people

*sniff*
for that I give you 3 lolz: :lol: :lol: :lol:

@DJ Shiva - good to see you, long time no post! ..... Shiva is my god of choice too...

You could sort out everyone of these fuckers single handedly, so what's the hold up?!
:lol:

I see it more in these terms: I heard recently some native american dude talking about the pursuit of knowledge, shamanism, peyote etc etc and he was saying how they see it that Women are already close to spirit so it's the men who have to actively seek...... Because the universe is female.....or at least that's how native american dudes justify their drug taking to their women :lol:

We men (especially of the 21st C) have to deal with the harsh fact that we are rapidly becoming biologically unnecessary, and thus ultimately more useless than we have ever been.

So yall can let us have our illusions of power and prestige in the material plane, because ultimately we all know woman is in charge, and as soon as the rest of womankind figures out how to overcome the animal illusion of need for man, it won't be long before we are weeded out, and a creature of legend.

[little julianne talking to her mother October 12th, 2305]: so these "men" why did they die out? And what is that little extra finger they have between the legs, what is that for?
[mother]: men used to use that little extra finger to do the job of turkey basters, until we cracked the genome and figured out how to synthetically create sperm made of dna with all the flaws of man eradicated. These "men" were totally unable to read our minds, and women even used to have to ask to have the toilet seat left down!!! Can you believe that???"

[little julianne looks out of the window]:

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:23 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
Sorry mate, but saying "I know some brilliant intelligent girls" (making music or not), is for me an acceptance that it is a kind of exception...

again, sorry if I offended you, really didn't meant to.

cheers
No worries. I did not mean it as an exception any more than it is an exception for male musicians. I meant it as saying that these people do exist and they maybe just don't feel comfortable always being hit on or judged as female. I guess everything on the interwebs is curt and easy to be taken the wrong way. One reason I am vegan (vs just veg) is that I feel female animals suffer even more and longer than male ones.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:18 am

Kodama wrote: One reason I am vegan (vs just veg) is that I feel female animals suffer even more and longer than male ones.
Dunno about that, male cows for instance are usually used for veal, doesn't get much worse than that.
(Vegan as well BTW)

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:37 am

alex.the.forge wrote: We men (especially of the 21st C) have to deal with the harsh fact that we are rapidly becoming biologically unnecessary, and thus ultimately more useless than we have ever been.

So yall can let us have our illusions of power and prestige in the material plane, because ultimately we all know woman is in charge, and as soon as the rest of womankind figures out how to overcome the animal illusion of need for man, it won't be long before we are weeded out, and a creature of legend.

[little julianne talking to her mother October 12th, 2305]: so these "men" why did they die out? And what is that little extra finger they have between the legs, what is that for?
[mother]: men used to use that little extra finger to do the job of turkey basters, until we cracked the genome and figured out how to synthetically create sperm made of dna with all the flaws of man eradicated. These "men" were totally unable to read our minds, and women even used to have to ask to have the toilet seat left down!!! Can you believe that???"

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:52 am

All I can say is "WOW". Maybe some of you havent slept in awhile? Maybe hit the funny dust a little too hard not that long ago?

unworthy vessel

Post by unworthy vessel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 am

I am surprised that after 6 pages of this thread no one mentioned Shikhee/Android Lust. She is a one-woman powerhouse of composition, production and performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6fVhYTRVp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nIvGEq-vg

I want to hear more great music no matter who creates it.
stumbling along down the path of dark emptiness

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

ThrowAway wrote:All I can say is "WOW". Maybe some of you havent slept in awhile? Maybe hit the funny dust a little too hard not that long ago?

No shit, huh? I love this place. I see unicorns in all of you.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Lets all be honest now. When I hear of a new chick electronic performer (or any genre, really) I'm first and formost interested in whether or not they are hot.

Let's review:

Krause: Kinda cute. Sorta. Not really. Maybe after a few pints.
Andrea Parker: Way cute.
Kristina Childs: meh.
Zoe Keating: Unbelievably hot. Like, MODEL hot.

After the physical inspection, I'm ready to examine the music.

So, you know. If we can all just stop being pampered white liberal sensitive douchebags for 2 seconds and just admit we are MEN, that would be a step in the right direction for this thread.

:P
I can't tell if you are being facetious, or just an asshole.

If you really honestly care first and foremost about what a woman musician looks like, then you seriously need to reassess what the fuck your interest in music really is. 'Cause that's as shallow as a fucking ashtray.

If you really were being facetious, then...oh well. It wouldn't be the first time I come charging in like a bull moose to make a point. LOL

For the record, I am a female DJ/producer who happens to be queer, and I still care more about talent than T&A.
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25