APC 40 Pricing EU Vs US > WTF!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Re: APC 40 Pricing EU Vs US > WTF!?

Post by djsynchro » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:39 am

EU rules: Every item you can think of has got a TARIC code now (Google that there is a website) it gets really trippy, there are hundreds of categories. But computer stuff (except LCDs I think) is 0% so a for example UAD card, but IMO also an APC-40 (which is like a fancy keyboard, buttons, USB interface but doesn't actually make sound, so not a musical instrument)

You DO pay VAT over the price paid PLUS the cost of shipping (this is a service you bought so you also pay VAT on it).
It still ends up cheaper even with the VAT, calculate it well before you order though.

I have bought small electronic kits from small places and they (often) come in without paying anything, the more expensive stuff comes with the couriers like FedEx and UPS and they declare everything with customs so you'll always get done for the VAT.
Last edited by djsynchro on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bossyandrew

Post by bossyandrew » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:26 am

It was crazy???

Why they are differnent????

acidman

Post by acidman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 pm

very intresing:

Novation LAUNCHPAD US $199 / EU 149 eur excl. vat

now it should be 100% clear whats going on with akai.... :wink: such suckers!

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:12 pm

pwned :!:

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 am

I bought APC40 with Ableton Live 8 for 560€ in UK but im from germany. No duty or higher shipping costs. In germany its 700€ for both.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am

Pretty shitty on Akai's part, remember comparing them back when this was announced. An MPD32 cost around the same in the US as EU and the APC40 had a huge varation in price, components wise the controllers aren't a lot different, taxes and duty costs would be roughly equal. I believe someone from Akai at the time said the difference was due to currency fluctuations but we all know that was utter BS. It didn't add up at the time and it still doesn't.

Decided not to buy an APC40 out of principle and v. glad I made that decision now as I picked up a Launchpad at a reasonable price. Was dissapointed that Ableton didn't exercise some control at the time but Akai probably wanted to milk it while they were the only player in the game and still announce a great US$399 price in their press releases. Bet their EU sales have bottomed out since the launch of the Launchpad

Vote with your wallets and never buy an Akai product again. That includes that APC20 abomination. I certianly won't, and I wish Ableton wasn't involved with such a company at all, it does them no favours. This sort of profiteering should be illegal, unfortunately it's not, yet!

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm

personally i feel that akai are charging european customers more because they think they can, and we will just pay.
ye can put it down to import taxes, silly laws as europe is different countries compared to the big US of A, and sales taxes within different countries. 21% here in ireland.
that does NOT justify charging almost double
now i know some ye are saying, if its too rich for your blood dont buy it, but hell i want an apd40 i dont want to be bent over twice for it.
and for those argueing about regions, and the fact they can dump more out to USA markets, there are 300million people in america, and 731million in europe.. more then twice the potential market..

im not buying an apc product again, and its a pity ableton may recieve a tarnished reputation because of this
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Just get a Launchpad.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:51 pm

I've written this before but it remains ironic: I would've bought an APC-40 but I couldn't get one anywhere so I bought something else because the money was burning a hole in my pocket and then the Launchpad was announced and all I ever wanted was the button grid anyway. Guess what I bought? :mrgreen:

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:59 pm

beatpoet wrote:Just get a Launchpad.

great suggestion but doesnt fix akais money hungry issues and the inequality here.
plus if i really want an apc40 im forced to bend over for them

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm

get a Launchpad, see if you like the mixer and user modes for controlling stuff (It's insane fast to work with I love it) then get another Launchpad, or a Nocturn.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Bagle wrote:

great suggestion but doesnt fix akais money hungry issues and the inequality here.
Don't bend over, they had a choice and they've proved themselves to be scum, scum like that will always be scum, ignore and they will go away.

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 pm

beatpoet wrote:
Bagle wrote:

Don't bend over, they had a choice and they've proved themselves to be scum, scum like that will always be scum, ignore and they will go away.
guess thats the only reasonable outcome, anychance we can get ableton to walk away? more bad products like this will only look bad on ableton i think

junglist_matty

Post by junglist_matty » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:35 pm

My friend bought an APC-40 here in the UK in December, he paid £350 ($564).

I'm going to Seattle in 1 week, I'm tempted to buy one for £250 ($399.99) whilst I'm out there!

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

junglist_matty wrote:My friend bought an APC-40 here in the UK in December, he paid £350 ($564).

I'm going to Seattle in 1 week, I'm tempted to buy one for £250 ($399.99) whilst I'm out there!
do be careful coming back.. i think they can get you for import taxes or vat.. removing alot of packaging might help