Help in mastering: Maximizing my output

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
lkj

Help in mastering: Maximizing my output

Post by lkj » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:15 am

Ok guys, so heres my question. I searched and searched this forum but couldn't find techniques people are using. Here is my situation, i've been messing around with mastering but I can't figure out how to maximize the output with a limiter to reach loudness comparable to professional tracks. I'm currently using a T rack 3 brickwall limiter and have reached RMS to -9 like most professional tracks but when i play it, its still too quiet and not comparable to commercial tracks. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!!!

supamonsta

Re: Help in mastering: Maximizing my output

Post by supamonsta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:55 pm

I searched and searched this forum but couldn't find techniques people are using
then search more, mate :wink:

all is already under your eyes right here. at least 10 big threads about that precise point.

just search for "mastering tips" "loudness" "maximizer"...

you can use google search, it may be easier.

good luck :wink:

walnut

Post by walnut » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:12 pm

monstrejumo is definitely right.
One easy fix that I had to learn early on was to lower the volume of each track, THEN compress the master. It's a pretty basic thing, but if nobody is there to tell you or if you have no background in sound, you'd never know.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 pm

lower all tracks, have your master peaking at -6db max. render 24 bits.

then put this 24bits wav into a limiter, don't over limit (between 2 and 4db max)

render this after passing thru dithering (24bits to 16 bits).

you may have quite a good final loudness. not too much, but enough to be easily used in any dj set 8)

cheers

edit : compression on the master is also a huge debate. I don't. (limiter is a kind of compression, but used sparsely, it won't change your dynamics like a compressor would)

(I may be totally wrong, but using the method I describe actually makes quite acceptable results)

lkj

Post by lkj » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 am

May i say thank you much!!! I read about dithering but i truly didn't know that it could make a mix louder. i'ma try your technique.. again thx!!!