Half the peeps I know with Live have cracked versions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
petit nuage

Re: Half the peeps I know with Live have cracked versions

Post by petit nuage » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 pm

for people who use cracked version : BE WARNING of this thing ..

the best solution : BUY IT !! :wink:

and no problem for your entire life ..it isnt worth it ?

junglist_matty

Post by junglist_matty » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:03 pm

I've been DJ'ing for about 5 years now, and I've been looking into different DAW's for about a year or so. I watched hundreds of demo videos, hundreds of tutorial videos and read countless reviews until I finally decided to take the plunge by buying a LaunchPad which comes with what is essentially Live Lite. I got fed up running into limitation notices such as "you can't do this in this version of Live, please upgrade" that I decided to upgrade to Live8 and then Live Suite mainly to get the instruments Sampler and Operator.

I've not been using it as much as I'd have hoped, but its a difficult learning curve and persistance will pay off in the end! I know what I want to do, its just I can't actually do it yet with my limited knowledge lol!

I did have a look at cracked versions, but the only mac OSX cracked version I could find was 7.0.14 and that didn't work with LaunchPad, I realised this, deleted it, went to Ableton website and paid for the downloadable version there and then rather than trawl the web for weeks on end trying to find a latest edition with a crack that works.

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:07 pm

I often wonder when somebody's signature states 8.04 (for example)......considering we are at 8.1.1, if that is a cracked version.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Aside from one exception (Rob Papens Subboombass) I have never purchased a piece of music softare than I didnt pirate first. I like to spend a decent amount of time learning something before I decide to buy it. In fact, without pirated software I never would have been able to learn much of what I know about music production. Although I have money these days, and am a Live 8 Suite owner now, that wasnt always the case. Without having pirated software as a youngster I probably never would have gotten so interested in the craft, becasue I would have lacked the resources given my situation at the time.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:22 pm

a friend of mine got replied by a vsti vendor that they know he uses a cracked version, and sued him for close to the cost of the vsti. (it was the nexus i think). without him giving a license, of course.

since that day, he does not have any illegal softwares on his machine anymore. happily for him, he only had to pay some thousand. if they would have been able to detect what else was on that machine, they could buy a house from the fine he would have had to pay :)

now he's "clean" after years of being on crack :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

trommelmeister

Post by trommelmeister » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:27 pm

My argumentation against cracked software goes like this: If a given functionality would only be available in some hardware, I would just have the two options of either buying the hardware or not using the functionality. I would not consider stealing this hardware from someone. I have extended this argumentation to the field of software, although there is often the third option of getting software illegally for "free".

In fact I think that lots of software is just worth the money. I have bought Ableton Live, Operator, Session Drums and just recently Superior Drummer 2.0 exactly for this reason. Also a very good "bang for the buck" is IMHO Komplete 6.

In addition, I think that the complete design of Ableton Live tells me that there are some people behind it which are really committed to it. Yes, some things in Ableton Live could be done better, and yes, there might be some serious quality issues in version 8. But nevertheless you can still directly see that there is some extraordinary concept being brought to life. If I remember correctly, this "being special" motivated me to buy it. Ableton Live is that good that the people creating it have definitely earned it to not being stolen from.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:18 pm

@ cryptic UK, I hope you know I'm joking, don't you? :o

One of my friends, really poor guy (money-speaking), was using a crack. He knew he'll buy a legit copy one day, but had not decided it was the time for now, and had to change his truck engine, and house's roof... (no luck)

GUESS WHAT,

his cracked live 6.I-don't-know-what-update one day just displayed a splashscreen, when he was playing a gig :

"YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO RUN THIS VERSION OF ABLETON LIVE"... (don't really remember, but it meant about that)

then,

LIVE SHUT DOWN, and he was unable to re-launch it, neither after re-installing!!!!

did you know such anti-piracy stuff was implemented in Live???

anyway, that made me laugh (even if I was a bit sad for him, because he still hadn't a penny in the pocket), laugh , and laugh.

he then decided the time to get a legit one had come (but was a bit forced, indeed)

I just bought a fresh new live 7 copy, and I'm selling my live 6 copy to him for 80 euros.

he is fuckin LEGALLY HAPPY now.

both of us are.

when you can find legit copies of softwares under 100 euros, using cracks is a crime to my eyes (when you know the peeps are able to spend 80 euros in one club night... or for buying crappy drugs... SHAME.)

cheers

dj donnyman

Post by dj donnyman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:42 pm

cacti wrote:what do crackers like AiR have to gain from putting out these cracks?
Well for instance Team AiR have a blog where they post their stuff, many will say they are just after the notoriety, but these people like to add the occasional backdoor trojan to their files so they can share your personal information with the underworld, and take over your computer for whatever reason without you realising it. Really it is a bit crazy to download this stuff at a time when the criminal underworld is always one step ahead of the security experts. Take the recent attacks on google for instance, see how easy it was for them to add minuscule code to PDF documents, something never seen before. Now before people say "Well Team AiR are crackers and not hacker" just remember these people all hang out in the same places. So you see it might not be a good idea to download a program that has been cracked. On the other hand I think when you are paying a lot of money for software, you should be able to have a full unrestricted demo version of the software for say 30 days, certainly a minimum of 14 days so that you can properly trial the software and use the full functionality of the program in question.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm

AiR and H20 are both alleged to have included spyware in their versions, as said before, these guys are mostly not hippies who want to give free love, some members are part of criminal syndicates (such as setting up those ridiculous 'oem software for cheap' sales, which are just H20 and AiR cracks put on a DVD-Rom with a photocopied label, that'll be 65 bucks and we'll scam your credit card and harvest your e-mail addresses for other scams/spams and sell to direct marketers etc.) What's worse than running a crack - PAYING to run a crack - doofuses who fall for this deserve what they get.

AiR even said on their blog that after 2000 man hours of work cracking Cubase 5, you'd better not uninstall their dongle emulator, if you do, expect a surprise....

I know 3 people who had to do HD reformats because the H20 version of Cubase SX3 would not uninstall from their computer and when they tried to edit the extra crap they put in there manually in the registry, it triggered something which wrote over the boot sector of their hard drive and essentially killed the drive, requiring a clean reinstall of windows, drivers and programs.

Of course, AiR and H20 deny this, saying it's other people taking their work and adding extra code, but would you trust 'em ??

Ableton gives a proper good demo now. Reaper can also be trialled for free and a non commercial license costs less than a typical video game. Live has Intro for 99 bucks, the cost of a video game and a trip to the movies (no popcorn). People using the 'poor' excuse are now officially a FAIL. They're not 'poor'. They're CHEAP :mrgreen:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Cutting corner musicians, usually sound like it.

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:49 pm

leedsquietman wrote:People using the 'poor' excuse are now officially a FAIL.
:lol: +1

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:36 am

+2...well not yet.. but soon enough.
I really think 'governments' should step in the whole copyright rape thing..
(not the users.. but the seeders..)
as it's simple theft... simple and clear..
people are being robbed on a daily...
got a feeling the whole concept of web 'self moderation' isn't gonna work in the long run..
and relying on people's good will is weak..
artists/developers are forced to 'sell' their works for cheap.. even free..
and are 'expected' to self-produce..
and continue on producing as if they don't need food/rent/clothes
and that my friends is not a bright looking future..

the fact that every other person is ripping ..doesn't make it right.
information may 'want' to be free. . . but art and media producers don't want...

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 am

Most seem to buy Live eventually. I did and so did most of the producers I know.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm

3dot... wrote:got a feeling the whole concept of web 'self moderation' isn't gonna work in the long run..
and relying on people's good will is weak..
Hahaha, yea human nature doesn't work that way AT ALL! Why don't we get rid of government entirely? We'll all just 'self-moderate'....hehehe, Ableton finds someone is using a crack and they send over a guy with a silenced pistol to enforce copyright! :D

Incentives rule the world. Yea, some people will pay 'out of the goodness of their hearts', but if Live had no copy protection at all, very few would pay at all. The question is how much privacy-loss and inconvenience are we, as consumers, willing to deal with for the sake of copy-protection. The bigger question : how much government interference are we willing to put up with for the sake of 'security'?

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:51 pm

Warez may be great for them DAW developers.
You get so commited to the software, and the time you spend learning it and the amount of data you create with make you eventually buying it.