Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nobbystylus

Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Post by nobbystylus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:58 am

I know I know, its not out yet, but from all reports even if this thing is only a big ipod touch then the applications for music making are gonna be huge (iTouch etc).

Thoughts?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/25/tab ... hone-apps/
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

Fledz

Re: Apple's iPad - Lemur killer?

Post by Fledz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:08 am

It would be nice if it was. Look at it this way, regardless of price the more technology moves forward the better it is for everybody.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:16 am

Agreed. There are a lot of nice features about the Lemur. You can attach scripts to controls. There is bi-directional communication with widgets. The physics stuff is kind of cool... it's fun to just throw a fader up and watch it slide into place.

But do Lemur features beat out:

1. Wireless (no ethernet cable, no wall power)
2. Thinner
3. $1000 price difference based on current price speculation
4. The ability for people to code their own interface widgets (if you're an iphone developer)
5. All the other non OSC control stuff you can do with it

These are just the things that seem 90% likely. Throw in some guesses:

1. A more responsive touch screen than the Lemur (why do I have to press so hard on the Lemur?)
2. Pressure sensitive? This would also possibly be useful for stylus applications (like painting) on the tablet. Velocity sensitivity would be amazing, but I think it's a separate issue from pressure sensitivity electronically...

I will buy one immediately assuming it's anything remotely close to what people are guessing. Of course, I also pay my rent right now with an iphone metronome I wrote... hopefully I can recoup the cost of the tablet with tablet metronome purchases. It's like 5x the screen real estate of the iphone so I figure I can charge 5x as much :)

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 am

iTouch is meant to be multi touch correct?
What's the estimated US$ price?

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:38 am

I'm thinking that TouchOSC-http://hexler.net/software/touchosc is going to make this iPad thing incredibly cool for 'making your own controller'. Now if it had some kind of haptic feedback then we'd be in a whole different area of cool, but even without its still going to be very interesting.

MSA remote http://memo.tv/msaremote_for_iphone has made velocity sensitivity a reality for iPhone and IPod Touch midi controlling, so should do the same for the iPad.
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:54 am

There is no velocity sensitivity on the iPhone... I'm assuming they're just using the some type of algorithm based on the surface area of your finger changing or something like that.

But if the algorithm works well... who cares?

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:01 am

bigbadotis wrote:There is no velocity sensitivity on the iPhone... I'm assuming they're just using the some type of algorithm based on the surface area of your finger changing or something like that.

But if the algorithm works well... who cares?
The "velocity sensitive" stuff I've seen uses the microphone to pick up the noise of your finger hitting the screen - very roughly, the louder the noise, the higher the mapped velocity.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 am

The main thing that I'm interested in here is whether it'll be tied in with a mobile network provider, like the iPhone, to make it appear like a bargain $400, but actually you're paying an additional $50 a month provider charge. With no iPod Touch option for people who just want the device for cheap without the GSM/UMTS connectivity. Rumours indicate, unfortunately, that it will be like the iPhone in this respect. Let's hope we find out tomorrow...

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 am

There's two negative to wireless:
1. Cost
2. Drain on battery

I'd be happy to see a version without it that I can plug straight into the computer via USB.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 am

Fledz wrote:There's two negative to wireless:
1. Cost
2. Drain on battery

I'd be happy to see a version without it that I can plug straight into the computer via USB.
Think WLAN instead of GSM/GPRS/etc - free wireless to your laptop, uses less battery than GSM.

Edit, though I do agree with you: USB data connection would be great.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:15 am

one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.

the lemur can handle more than two fingers with ease. something i don't expect from the iCraplet (but it sure would be nice).

if it doesn't have that, it has a big - to the lemur.

i just got a lemur and it's so worth the money, even if cheaper alternatives may exist. it's just much fun, and simple plugin-and-use like.

i somehow now have the joke in my head about the iphone which stops playing music when you get a call (big ads in tv about that). i hope your gig doesn't stop when you get a call :)

no, but seriously, i'm all for some other lemur-like solutions. but lemur delivers :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 am

davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely.
Current Apple touch devices handle at least 4 or 5 multitouches, I forget exactly.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 am

davepermen wrote:one thing: it won't be multitouch most likely. it will be dualtouch most likely. like the iphone/ipod touch, like about any multitouch screens on this world.

the lemur can handle more than two fingers with ease. something i don't expect from the iCraplet (but it sure would be nice).

if it doesn't have that, it has a big - to the lemur.

i just got a lemur and it's so worth the money, even if cheaper alternatives may exist. it's just much fun, and simple plugin-and-use like.

i somehow now have the joke in my head about the iphone which stops playing music when you get a call (big ads in tv about that). i hope your gig doesn't stop when you get a call :)

no, but seriously, i'm all for some other lemur-like solutions. but lemur delivers :)
The Apple Trackpad can track up to 11 fingers at a very smooth resolution. Thanks to Fingerworks which Apple bought. I don't believe they'll actually go backward in technical capabilities.
I also believe that this unit will have a remote desktop application, which definitely needs to track 4 fingers for all the expose stuff.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 am

davepermen wrote:i somehow now have the joke in my head about the iphone which stops playing music when you get a call (big ads in tv about that). i hope your gig doesn't stop when you get a call :)
Airplane-mode, or whatever it's called. Alternatively, arrange for someone to call you and sample it and loop it as part of the show... :-)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:27 am

8O wrote:
davepermen wrote:i somehow now have the joke in my head about the iphone which stops playing music when you get a call (big ads in tv about that). i hope your gig doesn't stop when you get a call :)
Airplane-mode, or whatever it's called. Alternatively, arrange for someone to call you and sample it and loop it as part of the show... :-)
hehe :)

imagine if the crowd has your phone number. you would be soooo busted :)

then again, i got windows live messenger messages over the main speakers once. forgot to turn off the wireless, and exactly that night, a friend wanted to talk to me :)

well, good for a laugh it is :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.