LiquidMix and sidechain compression (ducking) help..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuxnamon

LiquidMix and sidechain compression (ducking) help..

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:59 pm

It's straight forward in ableton's compressor.. but i was wondering if anyone knows how to sidechain in liquidmix.. they have a 1 band EQ that can be fed into the compressor to compress only certain frequencies.. but I want to use sidechain like "ducking" and use another track to trigger the compressors in liquidmix.. any ideas or is it not possible..

thanks in advance,

nux

SubFunk

Re: LiquidMix and sidechain compression (ducking) help..

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:10 pm

i don't know the liquid mix by heart, but you should see the sidechain in the lower drop down.

insert the compressor onto the track you want to compress, and choose the input in the drop down menu of the track you want to feed from... just like with any other sidechain compressor in live...
*** Image GAFM ***

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:53 pm

SubFunk wrote:i don't know the liquid mix by heart, but you should see the sidechain in the lower drop down.

insert the compressor onto the track you want to compress, and choose the input in the drop down menu of the track you want to feed from... just like with any other sidechain compressor in live...
i better check if I have the latest version.. I could've swore I didn't see any input drop down menu.. thank you..

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 pm

i don't know if that helps you...

assume that audio2 is the track you want to compress and audio1 is feeding it...

check out the selections in the drop down menu on the bottom of track1, it varies obviously, if you name your track other then the default audio1, etc.
and the name of your compressor will also be different. but it should be the same principle.

if you just want the feed to be a portion of the original signal, e.g. an EQ'ed signal, then simply create one more additional track (a bus) and feed the EQ'ed signal from there into the compressor*. (that is just an example, you can manipulate the signal as you like, some compressors even give you a certain 'filtering' option already, like Lives, or mine in this example. i don't know about the liquid mix one, though...)

*i like to do that this way, it gives me way more fine control options.

*** Image GAFM ***

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:24 pm

SubFunk wrote:i don't know if that helps you...

assume that audio2 is the track you want to compress and audio1 is feeding it...

check out the selections in the drop down menu on the bottom of track1, it varies obviously, if you name your track other then the default audio1, etc.
and the name of your compressor will also be different. but it should be the same principle.

if you just want the feed to be a portion of the original signal, e.g. an EQ'ed signal, then simply create one more additional track (a bus) and feed the EQ'ed signal from there into the compressor*. (that is just an example, you can manipulate the signal as you like, some compressors even give you a certain 'filtering' option already, like Lives, or mine in this example. i don't know about the liquid mix one, though...)

*i like to do that this way, it gives me way more fine control options.

but if you do it that way, you can only feed the audio to one track at a time... right?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:26 pm

well you can set up busses. and feed from the busses, or what do you mean?

you want one track to trigger several different compressors on different tracks?
*** Image GAFM ***

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:34 pm

The liquidmix does not allow external sidechaining,
it only has a internal sidechaining channel.

So no ducking is possible.
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:43 pm

SubFunk wrote:well you can set up busses. and feed from the busses, or what do you mean?

you want one track to trigger several different compressors on different tracks?

for lack of creativity... yes! one track triggers compressors on diff tracks just as the Live compressor is capable of.

i don't have a liquid mix but i think some of the Waves plugs are also like this and i was struggling trying to figure out how myself.

what exactly is an internal sidechain? how would that work? what does it draw a sidechain signal from?

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:48 pm

serotoninsteve wrote:The liquidmix does not allow external sidechaining,
it only has a internal sidechaining channel.

So no ducking is possible.
ok.. so I am not doing anything wrong cuz I couldn't figure it out how to feed external audio into the plug itself.. I thought i missed a dropdown menu like subfunk said in liquidmix, but I actually am using V2 of the the liquidmix and the website says that sidechaining is from one EQ band to the compressor within the same plug in instance.. i guess if you only want to compress a certain frequency.. I guess like a single band compressor..

well that sucks!! :x

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:54 pm

^ kind of a pointless waste!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:06 pm

McQ714 wrote:
SubFunk wrote:well you can set up busses. and feed from the busses, or what do you mean?

for lack of creativity... yes! one track triggers compressors on diff tracks just as the Live compressor is capable of.

i don't have a liquid mix but i think some of the Waves plugs are also like this and i was struggling trying to figure out how myself.

what exactly is an internal sidechain? how would that work? what does it draw a sidechain signal from?
what? you wanted to know if it is possible with the liquid mix compressor? (don't know the liquid mix compressor, like i said, but this answer has been given now)

or with the sonalksis sv 315 mkII i used in the example?

well with the sonalksis it is possible over busses that feed... you need to set up as many busses as tracks you want to feed...
*** Image GAFM ***

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:39 pm

that's not my point, though. if you wanted to use sidechain ducking in 10 different layers of bass or synth tracks, you'd have to duplicate the kick track so that you'd have 10 instances??? shouldn't have to be that way. i understand that's the way it is with certain plugs and some can't be used like this at all.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 pm

McQ714 wrote:that's not my point, though. if you wanted to use sidechain ducking in 10 different layers of bass or synth tracks, you'd have to duplicate the kick track so that you'd have 10 instances??? shouldn't have to be that way. i understand that's the way it is with certain plugs and some can't be used like this at all.
nope, not duplicating the track, setting up a buss, very different that is.
*** Image GAFM ***

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 pm

setting up a bunch of tracks just so you can send audio to a bunch of other tracks for sidechaining seems illogical... maybe Ableton should make an audio splitter plugin for Live like the one in Reason.

might prove to be quite useful.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 pm

McQ714 wrote:setting up a bunch of tracks just so you can send audio to a bunch of other tracks for sidechaining seems illogical... maybe Ableton should make an audio splitter plugin for Live like the one in Reason.

might prove to be quite useful.
well, if you think so then you can dismiss the entire concept of audio console routing at it's core.

it's more then logical and opens all you need... i don't know how or from who you learned audio routing, it might seem 'classic' to you, but opens really up everything... each bus can contain other 'tools' to influence the behaviour of the trigger signal, for instance... (besides it gives you also the easiness to overlook a structure, rather then with plugs that especially in Live are not easy to overlook at all at once, big minus for real large mix projects in live in general)

i should charge money for mixing courses and the possibilities (what i just said has a hell lot of other advantages, too)
that would turn into a proper 'how to mix' and 'how to set up flexible mix templates' course... though.

but well, we can also make a plug for what already exists in a different shape.

what i mean in other words is: there is usually more then one way that leads to rome, but some are limited and some not, i prefer the none limited version, where you can change things quickly on the spot without the need to 'break' open the whole structure again...

but that really would lead to a how to create "intelligent" and flexible mix template course...

btw, that with the charging was a joke :!:
or should i?
Last edited by SubFunk on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***