Today is the day APPLE changes the world. Again.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Today is the day APPLE changes the world. Again.

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 am

How hard could it be to have flash work on it? Could it be a licensing/financial issue? I don't understand how this could be a huge hurdle for the programming wizards at Apple. Is it on par with session view automation recording? I know nothing of these things.

jake noise

Post by jake noise » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 am

beats me wrote:How hard could it be to have flash work on it? Could it be a licensing/financial issue? I don't understand how this could be a huge hurdle for the programming wizards at Apple. Is it on par with session view automation recording? I know nothing of these things.
Well, i know that with the iphone the excuse is that the processing required to handle flash would cause a massive battery drain and kill the battery too quickly.

But I dont know what the excuse is this time seeing as its got a 10 hr battery life...

Hmm maybe someone flashed steve when he was a little boy and ever since he's had an aversion to the word?
MBP 2.4, Live 7, Logic 8, Maschine, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, Komplete 6, Novation Nocturn, Alesis Micron, Jap Fender Jaguar, lots of guitar pedals...

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:09 am

Closure for the overhype bs: some incredible foreshadowing from Mad TV years ago: the iPad (featuring Vaginal Firewall) http://bit.ly/aBM2yM

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:42 am

Very happily surprised with the $500 price tag. I'm usually not an early adopter but the iPad may be changing that.

It's funny to hear the "it's just a big ipod touch." whining. Not only does it have a bigger screen, but it has a much more powerful processor (an in-house developed processor even) and already supports the existing bazillion apps for iphone/ipod touch. This also means there will be apps developed specifically for the iPad to take advantage of the extra power. Think of all the actually useful and productive music apps like Beatmaker, TouchOSC, iDrum...etc. on the iphone and multiply the power and usability.

This truly changes everything. It's much more than a $500 Lemur "for the people" and I'm excited to see where this will take us. It won't take too long for the iPad to be coming out with power that matches or exceeds those found on laptops/desktops of today that are capable of running Live. But instead of just running programs like Live/Logic on it, I think we will see truly innovative software that are designed for the multitouch touchscreen paradigm. A whole new ball game.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:52 am

ok i'll get my windex

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:00 am

delicioso wrote:Very happily surprised with the $500 price tag. I'm usually not an early adopter but the iPad may be changing that.

It's funny to hear the "it's just a big ipod touch." whining. Not only does it have a bigger screen, but it has a much more powerful processor (an in-house developed processor even) and already supports the existing bazillion apps for iphone/ipod touch. This also means there will be apps developed specifically for the iPad to take advantage of the extra power. Think of all the actually useful and productive music apps like Beatmaker, TouchOSC, iDrum...etc. on the iphone and multiply the power and usability.

This truly changes everything. It's much more than a $500 Lemur "for the people" and I'm excited to see where this will take us. It won't take too long for the iPad to be coming out with power that matches or exceeds those found on laptops/desktops of today that are capable of running Live. But instead of just running programs like Live/Logic on it, I think we will see truly innovative software that are designed for the multitouch touchscreen paradigm. A whole new ball game.
jesus god you swear like multitouch or tablet computers never existed before steve jobs pulls one out of his ass. what exactly does this change? Its basically an iphone. The only thing the iphone changed was the fact you could do basic computational tasks on a device that fit in your pocket. this, does not. And last I remembered apple didnt do so hot when they were using their own in house processors.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 am

I'm hoping this thing will put the itouch/phone in my budget
on second thought no i'm not.......
but if they put a 120/160 gig drive in the itouch I'd be on it like syrup on me mammys flapjacks come sunday mornin

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:24 am

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:55 am

Android Bishop wrote:jesus god you swear like multitouch or tablet computers never existed before steve jobs pulls one out of his ass. what exactly does this change? Its basically an iphone. The only thing the iphone changed was the fact you could do basic computational tasks on a device that fit in your pocket. this, does not. And last I remembered apple didnt do so hot when they were using their own in house processors.
What's the other $499 multi-touch tablet that we can use for performing?

Do you really think that's the only thing the iPhone changed? Or that devices that could do basic computational tasks and fit in your pocket never existed before steve jobs pulled one out of his ass?

I personally think it's a good deal but not a revolution; nothing to love or hate really. All the vitriol is crazy.

penfolder

Post by penfolder » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:48 am

beats me wrote:It's not your bank account that's keeping you from buying Apple. It's your shitty attitude that's equally as blind as any fanboy.
you list me one piece of desktop/laptop kit under 350notes as new from the apple store

--
PowerbookG4/Mac OSX Engineer

:P
P[P]

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 pm

starving student wrote:I'm hoping this thing will put the itouch/phone in my budget
on second thought no i'm not.......
but if they put a 120/160 gig drive in the itouch I'd be on it like syrup on me mammys flapjacks come sunday mornin

:lol: DAMN good point

jeskola01

Post by jeskola01 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm guessing no flash because then people would be coding their own apps in flash?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:29 pm

beats me wrote:How hard could it be to have flash work on it? Could it be a licensing/financial issue? I don't understand how this could be a huge hurdle for the programming wizards at Apple. Is it on par with session view automation recording? I know nothing of these things.

heh. Nothing to do with the programming or tech.

This has to do with a long-standing feud between Adobe and Apple. Apple being Apple, they want access to all source code for anything that runs on a Mac/iphone/iTouch. Adobe has said 'no'. Thus, no Flash.

Apple's gotten away with this shit on the iPhone/iTouch because surfing the web on those devices isn't a main function anyway.

Apps developed in Flash are supported, lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:32 pm

what's the fuss?

it is an office tool, and for that and the price it looks interesting. at least to me.
*** Image GAFM ***

steko

Post by steko » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6