CD mixer style "Nudge" and "Hold" button

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
andydes

CD mixer style "Nudge" and "Hold" buttons for beat matching

Post by andydes » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:53 pm

When using Live alongside decks, it would be very useful to have 2 keys for nudge and hold. Just like a CD mixer.
Surely any DJ would need this feature.
Please, someone tell me if this already exists, and I'm being too thick to find it. Seems too obvious for ableton to miss, really. The best I can do is bring the tempo up and back down again. Which is a bit crude.

basskleph

dont hold your breath

Post by basskleph » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:15 am

I mentioned this around live 2ish, and there is still no such feature.

It's crazy. This is the single most important feature, if you want to use ableton with turntables in a DJ set.

If this happens, a lot more DJ's will incorporate live into their setup.

peace

stu

andydes

Knackers

Post by andydes » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:44 pm

I was hoping some patronising git would point me in the direction of an undiscovered part of the manual.

You've obviously got some experience, Stu. How easy do you find it with the mouse or up and down arrows? I'm still pretty new to this.

I think what we'd need is a relative midi controlller which is sprung to return to centre, maybe a jog wheel. I tried the pitch bend on my keboard, but that's absolute and always returns to the same value.

LiveLong

Re: dont hold your breath

Post by LiveLong » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:51 am

[quote="basskleph"]I mentioned this around live 2ish, and there is still no such feature.

It's crazy. This is the single most important feature, if you want to use ableton with turntables in a DJ set.

This is missing. it will help allot. :D please :D

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:15 am

but what do u mean by nudge and hold? wat would it be used for?
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:12 pm

I totally agree...definitely needed.

To beatmatch Live to Vinyl, assign a keyboard key to the tap tempo control. Assign a MIDI control slider to the tempo control. Tap in your tempo until it syncs within a few BPM's. Then in the arranger view, you adjust the BPM with the Midi slider.

The Nudge & Hold would be virtual finger on the tempo of Live like real fingers on a turntable...slowing it down & speeding it up instead of trying to use the Midi slider to exagerate the tempo to catch up.

borg

Post by borg » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:28 pm

Livewire wrote:but what do u mean by nudge and hold? wat would it be used for?
i'm not a dj, but i think what it's like this: you have the record that's playing and your live set running in the same tempo, but one is slightly behind (or the other slightly before the beat...). now, if you want to have the Live set adjusted to the beat of the vinyl, you now have to either stop live and hit start in sync, or slightly alter the tempo for a brief moment (up and down again to original). what is being asked is this: two buttons, one to momentarily speed up live's tempo, one to slow it down for a second. with turntables you would push/twist/pull it a little to catch up, or press your finger for a sec on the record/turntable to slow it down.
somewhat in laymen's terms.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

czechchap

Post by czechchap » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:46 am

another vote from me, this is vital.

getalx

Post by getalx » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:13 pm

Yup, I'm gigging regularly using Live now and this issue is the only remaining thorn in my side, especially when working with other DJ's/performers. I seem to spend more time on the tempo slider (uc33e) than anything else.

You would think this feature would be obvious to the developers, especially when its sold on it's "elasticity"and has the word "live" in the name.

WAKE UP!! Two little buttons next to the tempo/bpm indicator.

An incredible peice of software missing just one thing...

evolution uc-33e/vaio pcg-fr285/audiophile 2496 usb

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:20 pm

getalx wrote:
WAKE UP!! Two little buttons next to the tempo/bpm indicator.

An incredible peice of software missing just one thing...
one more vote!
.::.::..::.:::.:.vandeloow.net.:.:::.:..::.:::::.::..:
..:..::.:

psilosly

Post by psilosly » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:08 am

You could almost implement this with some clever MIDI routing in a little external program...only one thing stopping me from doing it:
You can't control the Minimum/Maximum tempo in the arrange view with an external MIDI controller, whats up with that?

If I could control those values with MIDI the setup to do nudge would be as such:

Take the input message from a slider and send it on two MIDI channels to the minimum and maximum controls like so:

Minimum = floor(vS * rT) - nS + mT
Maximum = floor(vS * rT) + nS + mT

where vS is the value of the slider, nS is the Nudge Sensitivity, mT is the minimum tempo you want your slider to allow and lT is a scalar the determines the range of the tempo (scale 0 - 127 to 0 - 10 or something like that). A good range for nS would be 1 - 10 or something like that.

The other step would be to assign the pitch bend to the tempo.

You'd probably also want to send the midpoint value (64) whenever the slider's value is changed.

This way you could control the static tempo using the Max and Min tempo settings (the tempo would be the midpoint of these values) and the pitch bend would add or subtract from that value for a moment and then always return to that value. It would be sweet.

This would be so easy to implement. :)

Ableton, wanna higher me for a day or two? I've got a BSc. Comp Sci and experience. :P

acidpimp

Post by acidpimp » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:16 am

nudging the tempo isn't what I thought this thread was going to be about.

what needs to be "nudged" are the anchor points on the clip, when importing entire tracks.

this would be nice, but would be very tricky to impliment. For DJing, I spend a lot of time setting anchor points, especially if the track has poorly timed edits, and I wouldn't want the able to override that work- unless you can lock the anchor points.
WoW Zul'jin

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:01 am

yeah, i've asked for this feature about 10 times, i'd say, over 4 years -- since version 1.

here would be, in my opinion, the most flexible implementation:

the "push/pull/start/stop" module would be placed inline like an audio effect. placed in master, it would affect everything. placed in track x, it would only affect that track.

the reason for this, is that some people want to globally sync Live's entire output to a turntable or other outside source. they could drop it in "master".

some people, on the other hand, need to phase-correct one live track in relation to another live track. they could drop one in every program track, say 1-4.

there would be four controls: start, stop, push, pull. start and stop would work just like starting and stopping a record: when you push start again it resumes in the same place you were, when you pushed stop.

push and pull would be velocity sensitive. the more velocity, the greater the push or pull. the max push and pull could be set anywhere from 1/128 to 1/2, or whatever works best.

as a software developer, this is the kind of feature that i call "low-hanging fruit". it's a feature that doesn't seem to require a large amount of effort or low-level retooling, but that would create many new possiblities, more genuine creative and improvisational possiblities than a dozen fancy new audio toys.

personally, i was drawn to live because of its core features: simple, well thought-out, and conducive to live performance like a "real instrument". i hope that Ableton continues to develop this "Live" core, which is the thing that makes this software unique.

$0.02,
rs

Chris Cowie

Post by Chris Cowie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:05 am

getalx wrote:Yup, I'm gigging regularly using Live now and this issue is the only remaining thorn in my side, especially when working with other DJ's/performers.
And thats one major reason I am seriously considering dropping Live to DJ with.

This is an essential feature for anyone interacting with other performers.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:39 pm

you can't exactly "hold", but you can nudge now.

i'm working on a technique to "hold" -- it involves riding the nudge control -- but i haven't figured out a good technique yet.

rs