Running pc VST in Mac osx

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

Running pc VST in Mac osx

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Does anybody know of a way to run Pc Vst plugins that are coded for windows within OSX ?
I am buying an new laptop and want a macbookpro 17 ( waiting for new round of updates) but my main studio pc is an I7 win 7 64.
I am using some free plugins that are essential to our process in the studio on this I7 win 7 64 machine.
We are preparing for touring at the begining of may/ late april and are in the process of setting all that up on the I7 win 7 64.
I want to buy another mac and not another pc( we already have a 13 macbook core2 duo which i can testrun any soloutions anybody offers) but need to find a way round this.

Anybody know if this is possible to achieve ?

best :)

davepermen

Re: Running pc VST in Mac osx

Post by davepermen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:43 pm

you could run windows on the mac. but in osx, afaik, no way.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 pm

davepermen wrote:you could run windows on the mac. but in osx, afaik, no way.
Yes this is true i could run windows on the mac that is avery good idea. Can i install a fresh version of Win 7 64 ultimate from the disc i used on my pc or do ineed a mac specific disc ??
Will it install the alll the drivers especially and keylay the wireless networking so that windows can connect and then go on and self install all suitable drivers for motherboards and grahics etc ?
I have no expereince of this ?
would appreciate some input on it.

best
:)
Last edited by jamief on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Oh and will the mac behave exactly the same as pc and not through up incompatabilities with some of the vsts that i currently run on the i7 machine.
I realise that this may be a bit of a tough question to quantify with an answer

Last edited by jamief on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 pm

as far as i know, you simply can't, that easy.

you need to contact your 3rd party VST vendors and ask them for an additional OSX installer, if the vendor provides their VSTs cross platform,
(some VSTs you use and own on your PC now, might not be available for OSX, you need to check that individually)

once you have done that and your new VSTs are installed, you should be able to swap projects between the two machines.
*** Image GAFM ***

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:15 pm

SubFunk wrote:as far as i know, you simply can't, that easy.

you need to contact your 3rd party VST vendors and ask them for an additional OSX installer, if the vendor provides their VSTs cross platform,
(some VSTs you use and own on your PC now, might not be available for OSX, you need to check that individually)

once you have done that and your new VSTs are installed, you should be able to swap projects between the two machines.
Hi,
the plugins are 100percednt pc only. there is only a handfull but they are kinda very special to me and what they do and id rather keep using them i think

thanks

raw

Post by raw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi, you can run VST windows plugins (dll) under OSX with SM Pro Audio VFX Software >> http://www.smproaudio.com/?id=45 (I haven't tried..)
Last edited by raw on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm

jamief wrote:the plugins are 100percednt pc only.
well, then from what i know there is NO way to use them in OSX. simple as that.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 pm

raw wrote:Hi, you can run VST windows plugins (dll) under OSX with SM Pro Audio VFX Software >> http://www.smproaudio.com/?id=45 (I haven't tried..)
ha! you see... learned something myself, maybe try it, i have no idea how something like that will perform... especially given that Live has already enough problems with 3rd party plugs. but hey try it out.
*** Image GAFM ***

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 pm

raw wrote:Hi, you can run VST windows plugins (dll) under OSX with SM Pro Audio VFX Software >> http://www.smproaudio.com/?id=45 (I haven't tried..)

Oh thankyou :D

But yes it will need to be tested. But we can do this hear with our current macbook.
Will post the results of our findings. Will be a few weeks before i get the window to sit down and do this.

Again
thanks Brilliant !
:P

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

SubFunk wrote:
ha! you see... learned something myself, maybe try it, i have no idea how something like that will perform... especially given that Live has already enough problems with 3rd party plugs. but hey try it out.
Yes :) the proof is in the pudding. But encouringly the plugins that we need to run on the MAC are some very simple types of compressors and delays and eq,s ( very specific sound )though we could possibly extend this to some slightly more complex plugins if this piece of new software works well and reliably enough.

Great :D

raw

Post by raw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:26 pm

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 pm

from the apple site {That means you can now load and play nearly every Windows VST plug-in directly in Mac OS X and route the audio signals to your favorite sequencer (e.g. via Soundflower). You don’t need the V-Machine hardware to play your Windows VST plug-ins on your Mac!}

mmm running through soundflower maybe quite a serious stumbling block in this. Most the need to have the pc vsts plugins running in the mac comes from the fact that these devices are grouped in sometimes quite complex ableton fx racks that we use alot of. maybe upto 40- 50 of them in our most complex track uses ( which is happening more and more). it would be impossibly time comsuming and probaly not possible to make them work especially with anything more tha 10-20 plugins if i had to manually route them with soundflower

Will ponder about this for a while...............................

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Available as a plugin within live is the nirvana on this for me

bobseekone

Post by bobseekone » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:27 am

I saw this project which looks interesting too:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wacvst/

I don't have any experience with it but it might be worth a look. I wonder if anyone here has tried it?