Need a midi guru's help with hung notes

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
graphicrage

Need a midi guru's help with hung notes

Post by graphicrage » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Hoping someone here can help me sort this out.

My set up includes a couple virtual synths but also a couple rack synths - an MS2000BR and an A-Station. Instead of recording audio from these for loops, I decided it would be better to run them as midi modules, instead recording the midi data only and sending midi to them real time for the loops.

Here's the chain:

CME VX70 -> JL Cooper MSB+ -> Motu 828mkII -> MacBook Pro running Ableton (8.1)

There's also a launchpad and fcb1010 coming in on USB at the moment.

JL Cooper inputs:
1 - a merged signal from input 2 and input 8 goes to the motu
2 - CME in, also set to receive signal from input 1 (the motu, in the event i ever get auto faders working)
3 - ms2000br, set to receive signal from input 2 on channel 3
4 - a station, set to receive signal from input 2 on channel 4
5 - alesis qsr, set to receive signal from input 2 on channel 5
6 - out to ms2000br receiving signal from input 1 (motu/ableton) on channel 6
7 - out to a station receiving signal from input 1 (motu/ableton) on channel 7
8 - Roland TMC6 in

Eventually input 1 is going to be coming from an external merge box as I have a few more controllers i need to send into ableton, so this will be an output from a midi solutions m8 containing minimally inputs from the cme, an fcb1010 and the tmc-6.

So I can record the midi data, loop it and send it back out to the ms2000 and the a-station fine, it's all working as it should. But every so often, mostly on the a-station it seems, i'm getting hung notes. The JL Cooper has a panic button which makes the hung notes stop. I am trying to figure out the source of the hung notes though. Is it likely to be me configuring something wrong in Ableton? The CME sending incorrect data? Or the A station / MS 2000 buggering up?

The hung notes never occur on the virtual synths.

Any input would be appreciated, this will really kill my workflow if I can't chain things like this...

dj_huck

Re: Need a midi guru's help with hung notes

Post by dj_huck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:23 pm

i would look at the jl cooper. stuck notes usually come from incomplete midi data. i am pretty sure that the stuck note comes from when a note gets a come on bits and does not get the note off bits. you may try to bypass the jl cooper(i have one of those but have not used it) and daisy chain thing. you can usually daisychain a few things with midi and be alright. you just need to make sure that nothing has to run in midi omni mode.

graphicrage

Post by graphicrage » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm

If I bypass the jl cooper, I will only be able to plug in my controller and nothing else. :wink: The Motu only has 1 in, 1 out. The CME and the TMC6 do not have midi thru.

I need to get back to it and test again to see if the ms2000 was having hanging notes or not, I can't recall now. The A Station was the biggest offender for sure.

I was sort of leaning toward it being where I am trying to send information back to the CME to ableton while ableton is sending data out to the external racks synths. I think something might be getting confused in the chain there.

Guess I'll just start unplugging and see what I can come up with...

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:55 pm

did not realize the cme was not usb. my bad. post up what you find

graphicrage

Post by graphicrage » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, it can be, but I'm using it as midi... That might be one of the things I try also, removing it from the jl cooper routing completely and just let the other controllers and modules have access to the cooper. Have to see how that impacts how I'm using my rack synths in other songs...