Was your automapped keyboard worth the extra money?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adam8290

Was your automapped keyboard worth the extra money?

Post by adam8290 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi All,

I have an original M-Audio Axiom 61 and am thinking about replacing it with a 49-key controller. Now, I've been totally spoiled by the APC40's ability to quickly get me to whereever I need to be in Live. I actually don't use my knobs, sliders, etc on the Axiom. Will any automapped keyboard controller be as responsive as the APC? For example, I am looking at both the Novation SLMKII and the Edirol PCR-500. If I am in Reason 4 with Thor highlighted, will my slider #1 control the same parameter each time I have Thor highlighted? When I switch to reason's mixer, will everything reconfigure? If I tell the keyboard that slider #1 now maps to channel volume on channel 1, will it remember the different parameter when I go back to Thor? These examples are in Reason. I am a Live & Reason user, along with some plugins.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--Adam

mike_o

Re: Was your automapped keyboard worth the extra money?

Post by mike_o » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:30 pm

I use remote sl MK1's with Digital Performer and Reason/Live under rewire, it takes a little setting up, but once you've got it going it perfect. and yes, you can create custom layouts per instrument and they will be remembered the next time you open that instrument.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:48 am

I still don't get why novation doesn't make an automap keyboard, a QWERTY one with some encoders and knobs and a trackpad. And a display ftw
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 am

Totally worth it. I wouldn't even consider having a non novation SL controller.
Professional Shark Jumper.