iPad - potential Jazzmutant Lemur killer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Northern Contingent

iPad - potential Jazzmutant Lemur killer?

Post by The Northern Contingent » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Just a thought (having of course never used a Jazzmutant). With TouchOSC available for a couple of quid off the app store, together with the projected price of the iPad well under half of a Jazzmutant Lemur or Dexter (even for the most expensive model iPad), could the iPad be potential Jazzmutant killer?

marcoskohler

Re: iPad - potential Jazzmutant Lemur killer?

Post by marcoskohler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 pm

The Northern Contingent wrote:Just a thought (having of course never used a Jazzmutant). With TouchOSC available for a couple of quid off the app store, together with the projected price of the iPad well under half of a Jazzmutant Lemur or Dexter (even for the most expensive model iPad), could the iPad be potential Jazzmutant killer?
Not until someone develops an app capable of transmitting MIDI and OSC, with customizable (size, colors, layout) widgets that takes advantage of the entire screen, with various pages...maybe a port of TouchOSC for the iPad...maybe.

shai

Post by shai » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 pm

marcoskohler wrote:
The Northern Contingent wrote:Just a thought (having of course never used a Jazzmutant). With TouchOSC available for a couple of quid off the app store, together with the projected price of the iPad well under half of a Jazzmutant Lemur or Dexter (even for the most expensive model iPad), could the iPad be potential Jazzmutant killer?
Not until someone develops an app capable of transmitting MIDI and OSC, with customizable (size, colors, layout) widgets that takes advantage of the entire screen, with various pages...maybe a port of TouchOSC for the iPad...maybe.
touchOSC are probably 1 day developing away from an iPad version for their app. and it's nothing comparing to what else is going to come in this field.

so yes, lemur died today.

keyboardcowb0y

Post by keyboardcowb0y » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:50 pm

iPhone apps run on the iPad and can be stretched to full screen so TouchOSC will work right away. It would be really nice if someone developed a way to transmit midi straight from the iPad via USB because I would rather just plug in then have to setup a wireless network.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 pm

keyboardcowb0y wrote:iPhone apps run on the iPad and can be stretched to full screen so TouchOSC will work right away. It would be really nice if someone developed a way to transmit midi straight from the iPad via USB because I would rather just plug in then have to setup a wireless network.

Scaled apps = ugly :) Did you see how ugly and cumbersome that scaled facebook application looked?

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:02 pm

marcoskohler wrote:
keyboardcowb0y wrote:iPhone apps run on the iPad and can be stretched to full screen so TouchOSC will work right away. It would be really nice if someone developed a way to transmit midi straight from the iPad via USB because I would rather just plug in then have to setup a wireless network.

Scaled apps = ugly :) Did you see how ugly and cumbersome that scaled facebook application looked?
Gonna be fixed with updates :)

suenteus

Post by suenteus » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 am

Killer might be too strong of a word. The Lemur has pressure sensitivity, a fantastic editor, and a mature platform over the iPad.
It also communicates via a network cable, so there's higher bandwidth for two-way feedback.

That being said. The iPad has a lot of potential as a music controller. To start, I wouldn't be surprised to see Launchpad/APC style interfaces available for the iPad before too long. Max 4 Live opens up all kinds of power for using the iPad in innovative ways.

Anybody here a programmer? :)

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:13 am

It's seems like kind of a Luddite situation for Jazz Mutant.

I believe the best option for them would be to release a 1024x768 version of the lemur for $500, and also make/sell the software for other systems at $99. Not sure how well that would work for them though.

You can simulate pressure sensitivity with finger contact circumference.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:18 am

It's not even a question. Only people with too much money to blow will buy a Lemur at this point. iPad already killed it even though it's not even available yet. I predict that it's going to replace APCs, Launchpads, Nocturns (iPad has a Novation automap app already), and [insert your midi controller here] for a lot of people. Of course, there will still be people who want tactile faders and knobs. But as for Lemur, they better be writing an app for the iPad or cut their prices drastically if they know what's good for them.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:49 am

It's strange because I think the ipad has for the most part distinctly underwhelmed people in it's present incarnation (lack of USB, no multi-tasking, no HDMI-out etc) EXCEPT for in the music world. Here, people have really got excited about it's potential. If developer build the apps for it who knows what it will do for music?

I personally am going to wait until a couple of generations down the line for them to sort out all the silly mistakes left out on the 1st gen model. I can't stand it when companies deliberately leave stuff out to get people to keep upgrading in the future. That is very much an evil Mocrosoft marketing strategy. Boo! Hiss!

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:00 am

I'm getting one. I'm an audio programmer and electronic music geek. ;)

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 pm

The Northern Contingent wrote:I personally am going to wait until a couple of generations down the line for them to sort out all the silly mistakes left out on the 1st gen model. I can't stand it when companies deliberately leave stuff out to get people to keep upgrading in the future. That is very much an evil Mocrosoft marketing strategy. Boo! Hiss!
Apple's business model almost makes Microsoft look likes saints at times.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:41 pm

I agree completely - and I'm a big Apple user.

maestronobones

Post by maestronobones » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:03 pm

I haven't looked into the specifics on the iPad yet but it's definitely intriguing knowing what people are already doing with the iPhone as a music controller.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

The Northern Contingent wrote:It's strange because I think the ipad has for the most part distinctly underwhelmed people in it's present incarnation (lack of USB, no multi-tasking, no HDMI-out etc) EXCEPT for in the music world. Here, people have really got excited about it's potential. If developer build the apps for it who knows what it will do for music?

I personally am going to wait until a couple of generations down the line for them to sort out all the silly mistakes left out on the 1st gen model. I can't stand it when companies deliberately leave stuff out to get people to keep upgrading in the future. That is very much an evil Mocrosoft marketing strategy. Boo! Hiss!
Well, to me it seems like most of the people whining are those that don't understand that it's a new category of device that's not supposed to replace laptops as we currently know them with "full blown" OS and apps. And then there are some vocal bloggers who seem to hate on anything Apple does, and folks who get influenced by reading all the negativity.

And I'm not so sure they left out any silly mistakes as some would like you to believe. I wouldn't want a camera to drive up cost, no "multi-tasking" beyond listening to the ipod I can understand for processor limitation and battery life. No flash has to do with neither Adobe or Apple budging and I personally would like to see an open standard like HTML 5 win over flash. Once you realize that the iPad is not meant to replace a laptop, they're not silly mistakes anymore. Apple is probably working on both OSX and MacPads to eventually take the place of MacBooks. But they're going to take their time to do it right which would mean rewriting all their software to take advantage of the touchscreen just as they did with iWork.

Oh, and I don't think it's just musicians that are excited about the iPad. I can see it replacing Wacom Cintiqs for many visual artists.