Introducing "The Lounge"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dennis DeSantis

Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Dear Forum Users,

We believe that the Ableton forums have the potential to be a vital and lively place to get information about audio and music production in general, and help with Live in particular.

We're monitoring the forums for technical support issues and getting developers involved in bugfixing based on what we read here. While we can't promise to respond to every post, we do promise to read and review every post.

We will also be more active in moving posts between forums as necessary. In particular, this means that "off-topic" threads which currently appear in our forums will be moved to a new forum called The Lounge. This forum will be for any topics which aren't directly related to Live or music production. You can help us keep the forums organized by thinking about which area makes the most sense for your thread before posting.

We do NOT want to engage in censorship; we won't delete anything but we do reserve the right to bury spam and posts which are patently illegal under German law. We will not remove criticism of Ableton or Ableton products. In fact, this is exactly the sort of feedback that we want to read.

We hope that these changes will allow the Ableton forums to become a more organized and productive place to learn about music production, and we hope you'll continue to be a part of the Ableton community.

funky shit

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by funky shit » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Good move methinks :)

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:39 pm

auwsum

deepee

Post by deepee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:39 pm

+1

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:36 pm

strange, as there weren't so many off topics lately (beside apple products maybe). I thought they had moved all of them into nebulae's forum.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Are you guys going to change the name of this forum to General Music Discussion or something? Or maybe add definitions to the forum names? Otherwise I don't see how people will see the difference between General and The Lounge. Heads might explode or just like the Link Your Music forum people will post in General or The Lounge that they posted something in the other and didn't get a response and so it all becomes redundant.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm

We're considering changing the name of this forum, as well as some other organizational moves. We're trying to do things slowly to see how people take to the changes.

Best,

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 pm

I'll miss having everything jumbled together. As annoying as the off topic posts can be, I firmly believe that they feed a lot more attention to the on topic posts. The same psychos who yell and scream at each other also help out newbs when they have downtime between flame wars.

However, as long as you're not cracking down on the freedom here then I think the vibe will survive.

musick

Post by musick » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:We're considering changing the name of this forum, as well as some other organizational moves.
Maybe also rename 'The Lounge' to 'Down the Sink' and make a 'hide' option for it in the user profile :)

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:We're considering changing the name of this forum, as well as some other organizational moves.
My request for an organizational move would be the creation of a new forum category that compiles all recent posts from all categories. The Tape Op message board has one called MEGABOARD. Check it out:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/index.php

Creating a MEGABOARD-like section for the Ableton forum will bring more attention to the on topic posts, and it will appease the users who will invariably miss the old General board. It's absolutely critical that you don't lose their participation in the community. The imposed isolation of The Lounge will likely drive them elsewhere.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
My request for an organizational move would be the creation of a new forum category that compiles all recent posts from all categories. The Tape Op message board has one called MEGABOARD. Check it out:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/index.php

Creating a MEGABOARD-like section for the Ableton forum will bring more attention to the on topic posts, and it will appease the users who will invariably miss the old General board. It's absolutely critical that you don't lose their participation in the community. The imposed isolation of The Lounge will likely drive them elsewhere.
You mean like the "View new posts" link up the top right...?

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:My request for an organizational move would be the creation of a new forum category that compiles all recent posts from all categories.
You mean like clicking the "View new posts" link in the top right of the forum :?:

Ah too slow

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Thank you SOOO much.

Definitely think the General forum needs to be renamed to avoid confusion though.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Tarekith wrote:Thank you SOOO much.

Definitely think the General forum needs to be renamed to avoid confusion though.
Exactly what I was going to write.

Woo.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 pm

And how about a forum feature request forum? :)

This is how we traditionally thank the Abes for new feature releases, showering them with more feature requests or telling them how they implemented them wrong.