why ABLETON support sucks?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
3dot...

Re: why ABLETON support sucks?

Post by 3dot... » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I think the 'dongle' would be better...
since your license would not be chained to 1 computer or 1 os instance..
I 'should' be able to open my licensed software on any machine...
that's one of the benefits of using software no?
not having to lug it around ?
now if I want to use Live in my buddy's studio.. I have to take the laptop+soundcard+controller...
I'd rather take a controller+usb-key..
the way it is now...with ableton and ni...
I'm dependent on their support in any case of reinstalling the os...switching computers...
changing stuff..
I imagine it's a hassle for ableton support as well...
(imagine the heap of mails on a given Monday...)

in the future.. I guess...I could take live on a usb-key anywhere...
I'd only have to bother ableton if I'd lose or break it...
now imagine the relief.. :mrgreen:

for now :
+1 for dongle protection !

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 pm

john doe by choice wrote:Actually, I'm all for hardware protection. If hardware protection would allow for issues like this to go away, as well as get the crack users to find help among themselves instead of support being wasted on people who aren't even paying for the product, then bring it on - all the complaints on this forum about Live 8, and no one considers that keeping the product secure and viable is a constant battle, wasting precious development time that could be used to improve all the other real problems, instead of constantly changing up the inner workings of the software to make sure that crack users don't have access to the latest and greatest version/features.
Hardware protection will not stop cracking in any way. I wouldnt mind the CHOICE to use a dongle, however.

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:22 pm

It's always frustrating when something doesn't work the way you want it to but I have to say in all fairness to Ableton that in my experience their support is best in class.

If you are unhappy with Ableton then you need to stop buying audio s/w and h/w products entirely otherwise you are in for a great deal of disappointment.

-1 to the dongle idea btw.

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:08 pm

My experience with Support has been positive. They may take a day or 2 to get back but they are generally good.

I dont think most people will complain about the support instead, we complain about the stability.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:13 pm

i also think that their support rocks! totally, deal with some others then you realise how good they are, plus they suffer immense under the program them self, it is not them creating or programming it, if i am angry, i am never angry at support, i am angry at the developers / coders... the poor support has to iron out their shit, permanently. (well, it is supposed to change)
*** Image GAFM ***

Ajbbklyn

Post by Ajbbklyn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Ableton support is the best in the business. Period.

As for the limit on activations: Celemony uses the aforementioned method whereby you can deactivate an install from your user homepage. It seems to work just fine in terms of convenience. (Celemony's support is on-the-ball, too.) But, Ableton easily authorized a third activation for me in a timely manner. All it took was an email explaining that my first two installs were on a dual-boot machine with two different instances of the OS - both running Live. They got back to me in no time and I was able to install Live on my dedicated music computer.
Andy Baum
(nicht der österreichische Musiker)
http://andy-baum.com

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Ableton support is great..

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 pm

Donnie wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:Actually, I'm all for hardware protection. If hardware protection would allow for issues like this to go away, as well as get the crack users to find help among themselves instead of support being wasted on people who aren't even paying for the product, then bring it on - all the complaints on this forum about Live 8, and no one considers that keeping the product secure and viable is a constant battle, wasting precious development time that could be used to improve all the other real problems, instead of constantly changing up the inner workings of the software to make sure that crack users don't have access to the latest and greatest version/features.
Hardware protection will not stop cracking in any way. I wouldnt mind the CHOICE to use a dongle, however.
It will if properly implemented, it's just that no one has done it right yet, and every crack I've ever heard about for hardware protection usually ends up with the person using the crack working with very outdated software. If it's done right, it'll work.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Ableton's support is been the best bar-none that Ive ever dealt with. The longest they have ever taken to resolve any issue I have had was 6 days. At the time they had a significant problem with their website and they were still quick to help me. Six days is blindingly fast compared to any other tech support Ive dealt with. All my other issues were resolved with in 2 business days.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:03 am

You aint gonna get much support for your no support report here...

Hd
Last edited by heavensdaw on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:16 am

Ableton Support has always helped me.

Way more than any other music production software or hardware company.

Nothing but praise here.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

JoshR

Post by JoshR » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:13 pm

I contact support maybe twice a year and alway hear back almost immediately. I've had nothing but good experience with the Abes.

No Dongles.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 pm

My 2c

Ableton support has been very thorough and good for me.

Px

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

You had to contact Ableton support 10 times a year? for 2 years? I think that Ableton support is the least of your problems.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Pasha wrote:^^
Don't ever think of an hardware protection!!! :twisted:
Live protection is ok as it is.
I allready have 3 sodding dongles (iLok, eLicenser, Ignition Key). Another one wouldnt really be noticed :(

Ableton is generally absolutely fine except for the unlucky situation where you run out of relocks towards the end of the week when your having to unexpectedly setup a new machine *and* something goes wrong meaning you have to start over again (or an Live update goes wrong and it asks for the key again which has happened several times) - ie you need two unlocks in less time than the normal response. When that happens, you are doomed, especially if its on a thursday/friday.

Steinberg - I actually dont mind the principle of a dongle *if* it is always backed up online. Steinberg however are completely paranoid shits (or perhaps its actually eLicener's design - still - steinberg and others chose to use it and they didnt have to) - your only license copy is on about the cheapest and nastiest most delicate dongle I have ever come across. If anything goes wrong with it, your are screwed either permenantly, or until the existing one can be examined, recovered and replaced. Basically steinbergs view is the dongle *is* the software - ie the dongle is worth 500 quid or whatever depending on how many license are on it. There is no online recovery - loose it and you are doomed.

iLok - another nasty horrible cheap bit of plastic that is so easily broken - nuff said above.

Ignition key - this actually seems civilised - good solid metal key with protective cap etc. Alternative web authorisation also available. Disruption to the application when dongle not plugged in also reasonable.

I am quite happy with the concept of a dongle if:

- The phsyical device is sturdy (ie no horrible delicate plasic things). Ideally it doesnt stick out of your laptop as much either, and therefore less likely to be damaged. Also if made of metal, and includes a suitably sturdy loop, then theft can be reduced simnply by attaching it to the locking cable protecting you laptop if reuquired.
- There is online backup (ideally in a central place), so after loss, you are able to online recover all of your keys (or perhaps be granted new ones while the old ones are writen off such that can never be used for activation again) once you have obtained a new dongle.
- There is provision for a temporary uncontested online only authorisation, say for a couple of days unless refreshed authomatically, and maybe refreshed for saw a couple of weeks - ie long enough to get a replacement dongle (and accepting that your previous dongle and the licenses it contains will be writen off if you use the online dongless auth) - this is specifically to help with stolen laptop+dongle scenario, where you buy a new laptop and set it up for a weekend gig.
- The usual provision of install on as many computers as you like - ie plug the dongle in when you need to use that particular computer.
- If dongle is removed from the computer, then certains function can be quite reasonably disabled (in the case of the DAW - saving, in the case of plugins, no sound output perhaps, or reduced quality or whatever), and you probably cant start the app again until it is plugged in - ie the damn thin doesnt immediately crash all of you plugins and DAW and ditch your work as some of them do. (Sometimes you need to move the laptop between computers to check stuff without havign to shut down the apps, for eg checking a migrated set).
- If dongles makers are simply too mean to make a quality key, then make cheap keys and also make high quality keys - stop being stingey cheap gits!
Nothing to see here - move along!