unintentionally modified apc40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alextronica

Re: unintentionally modified apc40

Post by Alextronica » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Was it hard to take off the side pieces?

I undid the screws but it does seem to want to budge

Anybody know anything bout that?
Last edited by Alextronica on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 am

No guarantee? warranty?

Thought these things were pretty new?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:39 pm

He already said Akai was going to take care of it.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:10 pm

warranty not already voided?

removing screws etc..

Posting photos of the same on here...

std warranty infringement imo.

Hope akai dont read the forum eh?!!

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:21 am

That type of failure seriously affects my impression of the APC build quality :?

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:28 am

Blurr wrote:That type of failure seriously affects my impression of the APC build quality :?
welcome to Nukai/ Wakai (numark owns Akai) where build quality comes second and exterior and marketing comes first.

Check out all the new problems with the new generation of MPCs and you will see what i am talking about.

If you already have knobs get a novation launchpad their midi controllers are solid....my xstation is still in one piece after 4 years of regular use.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 am

v00d00ppl wrote:
Blurr wrote:That type of failure seriously affects my impression of the APC build quality :?
welcome to Nukai/ Wakai (numark owns Akai) where build quality comes second and exterior and marketing comes first.

Check out all the new problems with the new generation of MPCs and you will see what i am talking about.

If you already have knobs get a novation launchpad their midi controllers are solid....my xstation is still in one piece after 4 years of regular use.
do you have an APC?

a knob fell off.. :lol: big deal. :roll:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hobbycore

Post by hobbycore » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Alextronica wrote:Was it hard to take off the side pieces?

I undid the screws but it does seem to want to budge

Anybody know anything bout that?
I would love an answer to this question

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:00 pm

You have to remove the backplate in order to get at 6 screws that are hidden on the inside. THEN you can dewingify your APC. Don't do it unless you know how to avoid static electricity etc. or if you care about your warranty.

Jacob Thein

Post by Jacob Thein » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:34 pm

That looks familiar to me.

My APC is not 3 weeks old and also I have the Master fader in my hand now.

What the F***

And stupid Sound and Drum Land in Berlin will not give me a new one, but sent it to Alesis to get it fixed.
Alesis??? Oh no! Its Numark! We know....

Well, there you go....
MacBook Pro 2,8 Ghz; 4 GB Ram; Suite 8, APC40, TD3, PD8, Control Pad, Fireface 400, Sonor Hilite Drumset, Istanbul Cymbals, Crown CM 311 A

kcinsu

Post by kcinsu » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:35 am

excellent... I'm glad this doesn't cause any problems to remove it.

I can't tell from the angles of the picture, but it looks like those 2 round cylinders stick out slightly... is that true?

What I really want, is to get the apc20, and remove one side panel from the 20, and the 40, so that they are nice and snug together. those circle parts look like they stick out though. may have to make a little overlay strip to fill any gap the protrusion may cause.

Anyways... awesome!

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 am

Those cylinders stick out a few millimeters. There's also a bunch of little tiny plastic tabs that snap off easily with some needle nosed pliers. You could lop those cylinders off with a jewelers saw or a dremel in 2 minutes.

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 am

Illiac wrote:Those cylinders stick out a few millimeters. There's also a bunch of little tiny plastic tabs that snap off easily with some needle nosed pliers. You could lop those cylinders off with a jewelers saw or a dremel in 2 minutes.
:)

zaplin523

Post by zaplin523 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:16 am

deepdirtydub wrote:You have to remove the backplate in order to get at 6 screws that are hidden on the inside. THEN you can dewingify your APC. Don't do it unless you know how to avoid static electricity etc. or if you care about your warranty.
hi and sorry if this seems is redundant but just to clarify... in order to remove the rubberized plastic side wings of the apc you will only need to remove the crossfaders' cap from the face of the unit and the six alan screws that you will find countersunk into the wings
(3 per side). Now on to the back underside of the unit. All screws including the two that secure the crossfader mechanism as well as six other small screws located under the rubber feet around the perimeter of the unit. Bear in mind that their is adhesive used to keep the rubber feet in place and if you wish to keep them you will need to use some sort of glue get them to stick back into place. Upon removing all screws remove the crossfader and detach its ribbon cable. At this point the back of the unit is free enough to be removed but there is another ribbon cable that attaches to the midi usb logic board however there is enough slack in the cabling to flip the metal bottom of the unit with usb/midi board up and away so that it can sit above the unit while you remove yet another set of tucked away secret akai screws. These 8 (4 per side) screws run along the inside cavity of the unit please be careful when removing them not to unintentionally knock/bend/muck about any components on the pcbs. a relative small jeweler's philips head screwdriver and a allen wrench. Now who is crafty/rad enough to make ends that would allow us to bolt a apc20 or 2 40s. maybe even just make it to where they could snap together lego style so long as they had their sides removed. oooh maybe it would start to become be like a new frac rack format for usb controllers (poop). Ok seriously thanks for all the help everyone this thread really helped me out.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:25 am

best time to test an innofader on that baby... I'm sure it's only time before they make one compatible..