How to warp audio in drum racks?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
abletony84

How to warp audio in drum racks?

Post by abletony84 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi,

I just chopped up this old sample in Sound Forge and put the chopped up pieces into the drum rack so I can trigger their playback from a MIDI clip. But a lot of these pieces need to be warped - how do I do that?

I tried loading them as audio clips, but the Slice to MIDI feature is kinda confusing - like once i've warped an audio clip, it splits my sample into several drum rack pads? I also can't figure out how to get multiple audio clips into the same drum rack instance with the whole slice to midi thing.

if I create a new MIDI track, place a drum rack on it, and then attempt to drag and drop the warped audio onto a drum rack pad, it plays back the original and not the warped version.

i dunno maybe im missing something fundamental

thanks guys

skullNbones

Re: How to warp audio in drum racks?

Post by skullNbones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

it doesn't really work that way(AFAIK). the usual workaround is to resample your warped audio into a new audio track and then drag that clip into your drumrack, as it now has the warping permanently rendered.
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:26 pm

skullNbones wrote:it doesn't really work that way(AFAIK). the usual workaround is to resample your warped audio into a new audio track and then drag that clip into your drumrack, as it now has the warping permanently rendered.
thats a bit silly innit? :lol:

sounds kinda tricky then because it's hard for me to warp when i dont know how it'll fit with the rest of the beat..

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Forget soundforge - Put the sample into arrangement view, warp to taste. Chop up using ctrl/e then drop the cuts into drum rack cells.

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:13 pm

Guff Tong wrote:Forget soundforge - Put the sample into arrangement view, warp to taste. Chop up using ctrl/e then drop the cuts into drum rack cells.
uhm.. but the problem is that when dragging/dropping audio clips into the drumrack, it won't play the warped version, hence skullNbones's suggestion.. or'd you mean something else?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 pm

abletony84 wrote:
Guff Tong wrote:Forget soundforge - Put the sample into arrangement view, warp to taste. Chop up using ctrl/e then drop the cuts into drum rack cells.
uhm.. but the problem is that when dragging/dropping audio clips into the drumrack, it won't play the warped version, hence skullNbones's suggestion.. or'd you mean something else?
resample the cuts?

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:41 pm

outershpongolia wrote:resample the cuts?
Yeah that's what skullNbones said 8O

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:00 pm

would consolidating each cut nail it? Not in studio so.....

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:54 am

Guff Tong wrote:would consolidating each cut nail it? Not in studio so.....
nah man

jonkuzma@comcast.net

Post by jonkuzma@comcast.net » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Warping happens in realtime..You will need to bounce the warped audio to make the warped parts permanent..JON

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 am

jonkuzma@comcast.net wrote:Hi Warping happens in realtime..You will need to bounce the warped audio to make the warped parts permanent..JON
Hey, thanks for the response

what do you mean by bounce? no offense but ain't that the same as the rest of the guys here said?

i do have beats where i have a warped audio loops playing continuously and that works fine.. so it does seem like a tedious workaround having to render warped tracks into seperate files just to be able to use them..

thanks!

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 am

so basically there's no way to do this?

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 am

abletony84 wrote:
jonkuzma@comcast.net wrote:Hi Warping happens in realtime..You will need to bounce the warped audio to make the warped parts permanent..JON
Hey, thanks for the response

what do you mean by bounce? no offense but ain't that the same as the rest of the guys here said?

i do have beats where i have a warped audio loops playing continuously and that works fine.. so it does seem like a tedious workaround having to render warped tracks into seperate files just to be able to use them..

thanks!

firstly, the "Simpler" instrument that drum rack uses when you slice to MIDI does not time-stretch - if you want to make the sample fit into the track then provided you do not have any tempo changes in the track then you can do it the old fashioned way we had to do it back in the day with real samplers.... i.e. - tune the 'transpose' on each simpler until it fits in time with the chosen tempo

yes that is a lot more tedious, but many great records were made this way! ;-)

the second, far easier option is to do what the others have suggested and first decide on the tempo you want the track to be at, then consolidate/bounce/whatever your warped clip at this tempo so that it will fit once you slice to MIDI - the easiest way I have found to bounce is to use "freeze track" and then hold option + drag the clip to another audio track (you can actually just use "flatten" but I always like to have the option of going back to the original) - this will also freeze with all the effects on that track so you might want to disable them and put them on the new MIDI track after the drum rack so you can still change them later... or you may want to freeze/consolidate with them on - up to you

thirdly, why do you want more than one in the same drum rack? if it's just so you can have them on the same keyboard at the same time then you can just record arm both MIDI tracks and move the drums on the 2nd MIDI track/drum rack to the notes you want - I think that would be the quickest option anyway, because warping + slice to MIDI would be a lot quicker than doing it any other way, and to my knowledge there is no easy way to slice to an already occupied drum rack

although there is a fourth option that would let you do this - you can slice to "Sampler" if you own it, and that will mean you can have each loop in a different Sampler, but honestly I think that's more trouble than it's worth

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:59 pm

appreciate that man thank you so much!

ill play around with this tonight and report back on the result.

have a great day!

abletony84

Post by abletony84 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:23 pm

also, please show y'all support by heading over to Wishlist: Ability to warp audio in drum racks and second this thing as a feature request..

might be a while till (as 3rdordertrauma pointed out) Ableton is ready to resume adding features though...