Introducing "The Lounge"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Re: Introducing "The Lounge"

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 am

thank you very much

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:45 am

FINALLY GOOD LORD THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:56 am

smutek wrote:I'm curious what prompted this as users have been asking for it for years.
perhaps your question contains the answer!
;)

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 am

One downside of changing the name of the General Forum is there are currently 77004 topics that refer to it under that name. Newbs will be even more confused when trying to use the search function.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:One downside of changing the name of the General Forum is there are currently 77004 topics that refer to it under that name. Newbs will be even more confused when trying to use the search function.
I think the idea is that no-one of sound mind will feel the need to search for anything in "the lounge"

IP

Post by IP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 am

Cool!

Also please do something with the forum "Search"

phpBB has a very cool engine!
i cant understand why you removed some useful features! (or is it a very old version?)

This is how the official phpbb search is
http://www.phpbb.com/community/search.p ... d9fccd3137

you can ...

Search within:
Post subjects and message text
Message text only
Topic titles only
First post of topics only

*does ableton use the latest phpbb version?

**general could be renamed simply to live general
Last edited by IP on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Sound good, but yeah renaming the general forum would be great that way there would be no confusion, or less

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:32 pm

About Time! ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

rozling

Post by rozling » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm

IP wrote:Cool!

Also please do something with the forum "Search"

phpBB has a very cool engine!
i cant understand why you removed some useful features! (or is it a very old version?)

This is how the official phpbb search is
http://www.phpbb.com/community/search.p ... d9fccd3137

you can ...

Search within:
Post subjects and message text
Message text only
Topic titles only
First post of topics only

*does ableton use the latest phpbb version?

**general could be renamed simply to live general
While we're making feature requests, it would be great if we could have a mobile-friendly version of the forum. I've been using Tapatalk for iPhone/Android and soon BB apparently, which is a GREAT way to read a supported forum - basically you get the forum in an app. Free version is read only though & at €2.40 for posting/PMing functionality I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Dear Forum Users,

We will also be more active in moving posts between forums as necessary. In particular, this means that "off-topic" threads which currently appear in our forums will be moved to a new forum called The Lounge. This forum will be for any topics which aren't directly related to Live or music production. You can help us keep the forums organized by thinking about which area makes the most sense for your thread before posting.

Better later than never says I.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:29 pm

silveriofunk wrote:Sound good, but yeah renaming the general forum would be great that way there would be no confusion, or less
To something like "No more American politics spam FFS" ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Nice Move! :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:45 am

it all depends on what kind of user you are

for me, i'd ideally have 20ish updated threads per day, per section. that way i'd see all the new stuff once per day, when i look at it once per day. (and happen to ignore at least most of the things which i don't particularly care to see, neatly contained in other sections)

for a more frequent visitor, they'd want it all in one section or view, such that they can refresh every 10 seconds. i imagine that is served by the 'new posts' option

generally the tips and bugs sections are like this. only the general section is beyond.. therefore i welcome separating some of that stuff out into a separate section which i can choose to look at or not, based on my mood :)

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Let's keep it simple. :wink:
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

telekom

Post by telekom » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:43 pm

8O wrote: Unanswered posts link is top left. New posts link is top right.
What he said.
Hidden Driveways wrote: Tape Op used to have a great forum... then one day they made sweeping changes to cut down OT stuff in their General forum. They implemented that hideous GUI design (which is still there to this day), and they got rid of their General forum. Killing the General forum also killed their forum. They quickly realized this and created the MEGABOARD option. The MEGABOARD thing is okay (it's the only reason I go back to that forum at all). But this change was made back in 2003 and I still miss the old Tape Op. So does everyone else.
If you're still going there 7 years after sweeping changes, then it can't be that bad, even if you miss the old format.

There have been many requests for this type of change over the years - I was quite keen on the idea myself at one point. Now I'm just so used to hanging out in General that I don't really mind anymore. But this is still a really good forum. Not as good as back in the day... but still really good. :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone