Latest copyright nonsense

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
crumhorn

Latest copyright nonsense

Post by crumhorn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:39 pm

"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

smutek

Re: Latest copyright nonsense

Post by smutek » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah, I'm sorry but I don't see how they won that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:49 pm

About time somebody took down the unstoppable juggernaut that is Men at Work.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 pm

glad the dance scene isnt so damn "omfg you stole my chord".

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:05 pm

that's ridiculous. who actually decides these things in court.. is there a jury panel or is it just some judge? i listened to the kukama gum tree or whatever song and Men at Work (one of my favs) and can't really see any similarities, noticeable anyways.. but if you looked hard enough and if every case judged like this, so many countless songs would be guilty of copyright infringement also.. there's really only 12 notes to play with so some similarities and even some accidents are bound to happen..

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 pm

I guess this is what happens when solely lawyers determine what is a reality in terms of music and a common musical language.

I don't know how Australian music law works, and I do hear a similarity in melody with Kookaburra and the Men at Work song, but it sounds like the songwriters were inspired by the Kookaburra tune and not necessarily ripping it off.

Men at Work's vocal melody is quite different throughout most of the song than the Kookaburra tune. The flute melody in the Men at Work song sounds somewhat similar. It'd be interesting to compare scores of the Men at Work vocal melody and the other.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:18 am

Shit ruling.

The song writer died in 1988 the copyright owner 'Larikin Music' bought the rights in 1990. But it is pretty much an Australian folk song that is part of our collective cultural heritage.

Everyone rips off/borrows from everyone who has gone before them, whether it's consciously or unconsciously.

Should a company who bought the rights to a song's copyright after the songwriter has died, be allowed to claim compensation? I seriously doubt any money will be going towards the songwriters family.

If it doesn't get repealed, then this sets a very dangerous precedence for australian music copyright.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 am

am wrote:Shit ruling.

The song writer died in 1988 the copyright owner 'Larikin Music' bought the rights in 1990. But it is pretty much an Australian folk song that is part of our collective cultural heritage.

Everyone rips off/borrows from everyone who has gone before them, whether it's consciously or unconsciously.

Should a company who bought the rights to a song's copyright after the songwriter has died, be allowed to claim compensation? I seriously doubt any money will be going towards the songwriters family.

If it doesn't get repealed, then this sets a very dangerous precedence for australian music copyright.
actually, the copyright is good for another 50 years after the death of the owner of the rights to the song.. so I guess whoever bought the rights still has till 2038 to reap the benefits.. still, i don't agree with the verdict..

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:48 am

This is getting stupid.

Can any of us ever be sure that when we 'make up' a riff or progression it is truly original and not actually a memory of another track?
Nothing to see here - move along!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:00 am

Lame.

This type garbage is exactly why I don't fiddle with loops. Period. I/we make all my/our own drum patterns, bass lines, guitar riffs, lyrics... everything. I'll be damned, should I ever get paid out big on a track, if some 3rd party with no actual vested time or interest in the creation of the original piece come along and steal 60% of the long since spent profits, all over some tiny little bite of the song. They'll be suing school children next for live performances.

The swine that sued probably don't even make music.

Remember this shit when you're loopin it up. :|

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 am

nuxnamon wrote:
am wrote:Shit ruling.

actually, the copyright is good for another 50 years after the death of the owner of the rights to the song.. so I guess whoever bought the rights still has till 2038 to reap the benefits.. still, i don't agree with the verdict..

Yeah, I know about the 50 year ruling too, but in this particular case, the writer wrote it for a Girl Guides competition in 1934, and as part of the competition entry process, she signed over the copyright to the song over to the competition.

The whole thing is dodgy... this company "larikin music' apparently bought the rights, then sat on them for 15 years until someone on a music quiz TV show pointed out that the melodies were similar.

They then sue these guys who worked hard for years to get onto the world stage and get into a position where they could release a song that could become popular.

To claim that the current copyright owner "Larikin Music' actually has the right to ANY of that money earned seems crazy to me.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:48 am

wow..what a bunch of shit!

how do they even expect men at work to pay?
im sure they have spent most of the money from that song by now.

cant they try to get a judge to overturn that ruling in Australia?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:57 am

am wrote: The whole thing is dodgy... this company "larikin music' apparently bought the rights, then sat on them for 15 years until someone on a music quiz TV show pointed out that the melodies were similar.

They then sue these guys who worked hard for years to get onto the world stage and get into a position where they could release a song that could become popular.
And to top it off, the Lawyer for Larkin Music touted the ruling as "a victory for the underdog".

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:30 am

well the band themselves are apparently broke so I think they're hoping they'll get something out of EMI

I remember having to do "sound alikes" in a previous job and being told the law was every fourth note had to be different (this was in the UK) and I guess the flute riff shared more than 4 of the notes, but I still find this unbelievable

You can guarantee this "larrikin music" will get no love in Australia.... sounds like some profiteering gold digger decided to try his luck and got away with it

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:17 am

Jesus the quality of that BBC story is SHIT.

It's the FLUTE melody that was called into question and not the entire tune. Which makes the ruling even more fucking assinine.

Greg Ham, the guy that played the riff originally, stated that he used a bit of that old tune for his riff.

Here's more of the real story from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... =allsearch

This is where it's HORRIFYING to think about how we get our news. And who from. Christ. If a story can be so utterly different from one outlet as compared to another for a matter as trivial as this, what are we to think on the really BIG stories.

Horrifying.

BTW, I saw Colin Hay perform about 6months back. Just solo with a guitar. One of the most amazing shows I've ever seen, bar none. The guy was amazing and his voice was stellar.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x