OT: rme fireface interfering with MacBook pro's airport?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

OT: rme fireface interfering with MacBook pro's airport?!

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:01 pm

EDIT: Some sort of issue between rme fireface 800 and snow leopard (all latest updates and drivers) is somehow definitely to blame. Read following posts

WTF is up with MacBook pro's and their airport?

This is a recurring problem that I've been seeing ever since I had mine. My roommate's internets are working fine while I'm stuck with none. The weird thing is that it comes and goes. Sometimes works perfectly for days or weeks at a time then starts giving me grief for no reason at all.

Anyone else had this happen? If so, how have you corrected this, if at all?

Writing this post on my phone has been a real pain in the ass.

In before the bitter pc nerds start with the "it just works" jokes
Last edited by aqua_tek on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zappen

Re: OT: MacBooks and shitty wifi

Post by zappen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm

The Lounge. This forum will be for any topics which aren't directly related to Live or music production.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:06 pm

General bullshit forum and Apple user response: works fine for me.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 pm

i have 2 macbooks and their wifi's are totally fine.. but I make it a point to turn it off when I am doing any kind of audio work (especially with Serato).. i have the earlier white macbooks, core2 duo but not unibody.. when it goes out, does it just keep scanning or it can't see your wireless?

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 pm

well I got my roommate to come in and take a look once he got back from work. He's an IT guy so I was sure he'd figure it out.

Seemed to be some issues with the automatic IP detection and stuff like that. He input the exact numbers and it seemed to be working.

However... I just noticed that when I plugged in my Fireface, the internets once again went away. I unplugged and magically it started working again. WTF is that about? The fireface interfering with WiFi? Doesn't make any sense. It must be a fluke. I hope it is.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:55 pm

1. What version of OSX are you running?
2. Is all your software up to date?
3. Which MBP do you have?
4. What kind of router are you using?
5. What kind of security on the router are you using?

(I have had this problem and have corrected it)

freqn

Post by freqn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:13 am

No probs with mine as long I have kept it updated.

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:47 am

I have this problem on a mac mini, and I am loosing my mind. Just when I think it is the computer, my gut often points me to my wireless router (a belkin). Then before I can solidify anything, things run stable for a while. There is some negative press regarding my belkin router and intermittent drop-outs.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Migra

Post by Migra » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:29 am

I had this problem for so long and they have fixed, just run Software Updates on your start menu and install the one that relates Airport, on description you'll clearly see something like "wi fi internet interruptions".
:D

Post Edit:
Ok this should solve your nightmare:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/a ... 09002.html
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Migra wrote:I had this problem for so long and they have fixed, just run Software Updates on your start menu and install the one that relates Airport, on description you'll clearly see something like "wi fi internet interruptions".
:D

Post Edit:
Ok this should solve your nightmare:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/a ... 09002.html
:) thank you, I installed the file. I run software update quite often, :oops: I don't know how I missed it. I may have disregarded it as an update to the base station interface :?

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks peeps. Away from home so can't really give router specs. The computer is a late 2009 MacBook pro. 2.8 ghz core 2 duo, 500 gb 7200 rpm drive, 4 gb ram. Running latest version of snow leopard.

I ran software update and installed the new firmware. It seemed to help a bit

Now instead of not working at all, it works... Erratically. :lol:

It's definitely something with the fireface 800. I tested this numerous times last night and indeed, even after all updates, reboots, etc, whenever the fireface is connected and turned on, the airport just goes crazy and only works occasionally, and in short spurts. As soon as I turn the fireface off or unplug it, things go back to normal. Very strange.

This was not happening with my older MacBook pro running os 10.5. Has to be a snow leopard / RME driver issue

aisling

Re: OT: rme fireface interfering with MacBook pro's airport?!

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:09 pm

In my case, changing out my belkin router for a d-link extreme has been VERY helpful.

jeff_u

Post by jeff_u » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:54 am

I went from a linksys (no connection to MBP) to a belkin (erratic connection to MBP) and then finally settled on an Airport Extreme Base Station and it works fine.

It's not surprising that you're having issues with a firewire device and wireless, as they're both network devices. I've never had any conflict with my mac/wifi/audio gear but I used to have the exact same problem with my PC notebook and my 01x mlan (firewire) device. Wireless and external audio devices often don't play nice.

All that aside, it shouldn't be happening. It's been my experience that OS X and firewire devices work exceptionally well together.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Drums

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 pm

jeff_u wrote:I went from a linksys (no connection to MBP) to a belkin (erratic connection to MBP) and then finally settled on an Airport Extreme Base Station and it works fine.

It's not surprising that you're having issues with a firewire device and wireless, as they're both network devices. I've never had any conflict with my mac/wifi/audio gear but I used to have the exact same problem with my PC notebook and my 01x mlan (firewire) device. Wireless and external audio devices often don't play nice.

All that aside, it shouldn't be happening. It's been my experience that OS X and firewire devices work exceptionally well together.
Yeah this used to not happen at all, even on this same Macbook Pro. Maybe some recent OS update screwed with the Fireface driver compatibility in some weird way. I'm just speculating. I have no idea if that's even possible. But indeed, it is the Fireface that continues to mess with Airport. Other firewire devices, such as hard drives, seem to have no effect. Though I will be testing this again throughout the next day or two.

EDIT:
Alright, I tried it out today and it's official... other FW devices do NOT create this issue. It's only the Fireface.

I've also posted about this on the RME forum.