Vinyl

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
idioteque

Vinyl

Post by idioteque » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Last edited by idioteque on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 3.06GHz | MacBook 2.4 GHz | MOTU UltraLite Mk3 | MOTU micro lite | Novation Launchpad | Faderfox Micromodul LC2 | KORG microKONTROL | KORG Kaoss Pad 3 | Live Suite 8.1.1

beats me

Re: Sweet Vinyl!

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Nov. 17, 2009, Earth - Today vinyl was pronounced dead. Very little details were released as the majority of the planet didn't give a shit. Vinyl is survived by a handful of DJs who can't let it go. They asked that the media respect their wishes to be left alone during this time of denial.

idioteque

Re: Sweet Vinyl!

Post by idioteque » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:24 pm

:lol:
iMac 3.06GHz | MacBook 2.4 GHz | MOTU UltraLite Mk3 | MOTU micro lite | Novation Launchpad | Faderfox Micromodul LC2 | KORG microKONTROL | KORG Kaoss Pad 3 | Live Suite 8.1.1

nuxnamon

Re: Vinyl

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 pm

i think the people that can't let go of vinyl are the ones capable of only doing things in vinyl that can't be done on any other medium, maybe that's why it's only a handful of people. i use serato control vinyl's and it's close enough for me but I know a few dj's who still swear by vinyl and would rather use it if possible. Maybe they are in denial and ignorant, but I can't say anything cuz they do some shit that makes my jaw drop..

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:57 pm

I just like throwing jabs at "vinyl will never die!" people. There probably are some things better done with vinyl but I think for a lot of these types it's more of a nostalgia preference thing and they refuse to evolve or at least not without first kicking and screaming.

I'd even go as far as saying that some DJs using encoded media are adding an unnecessary step to the process that is based more on preference than actual end result. They'd feel completely naked and maybe even a little douchey if they don't have that media to fiddle with. I said some DJs, not all. But let's face it, there's a lot of down time in the booth if you just let these programs do what they were meant to do.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:57 am

beats me wrote:I just like throwing jabs at "vinyl will never die!" people. There probably are some things better done with vinyl but I think for a lot of these types it's more of a nostalgia preference thing and they refuse to evolve or at least not without first kicking and screaming.

I'd even go as far as saying that some DJs using encoded media are adding an unnecessary step to the process that is based more on preference than actual end result. They'd feel completely naked and maybe even a little douchey if they don't have that media to fiddle with. I said some DJs, not all. But let's face it, there's a lot of down time in the booth if you just let these programs do what they were meant to do.
there's actually a long thread in the scratchlive forums about DJ's getting blowjobs in the DJ booth.. that takes care of the down time!!.. or you could be one of those Dj's that constantly adjust knobs just to look busy.. but even so, non-vinyl Dj's get unnecessarily crazy with filters, beat repeats, and other effects to make them more busy which tends to ruin the song at times.. Some vinyl Dj's are even worse when they think they have to scratch at every break..

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:46 am

vinyl is dead... but it'll stay here for a while since there are still many top djs and consumers still buying it... besides, vinyl's great... whoever used to dj with them must remember how cool it was, due to the space limitations of your bag, to dig through records all morning before a gig, making those important choices while listening to great music all day!... now with the laptop, since you can carry everything with you, you really do not need to do that.

I have only recently changed my style, when djing to incorporate the launchpad but until a few months ago i was still just using two channels in ableton for music and two other to allow me to preview some 100 songs and i added during that day of listening. Then when you get to the gig like the when i used vinyl, play the first song and take it from there.

planning a set is way too boring and predictable... on the other hand, if you're performing your own stuff, then planning is the way to go. IMO

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:47 pm

There is something indescribable when your hand is touching the vinyl, pushing the record in, dragging lightly to slow it down, pushing it on beat ever so gently. There's a connection that one feels that is lost with digital media. The technics CDJ's or the pioneer's have that "Vinyl Emulation", but there is latency and those milliseconds create a barrier between the DJ and his medium.

If you've never spun Vinyl, you wouldn't understand.

And, let's not forget that Vinyl sounds so good!

I'm not hating, nor trying to be a snob. I almost exclusively use CD's now when I gig. It's more convenient and alot of clubs don't even have 12's in the booth anymore.

But, when I'm home, I still play on the twelves just for the pure joy of feeling that connection.

And with respect to those DJ's who look bored. I can't respect that because I'm having the time of my life when I play and I'm constantly mixing in tracks, doing drops, riding two tracks together, in and out....It's a fucking ride man!

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

tan111

Post by tan111 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Yeah, I may understand you, thanks God my father's collection survived and now is in my hands, really priceless treasure :mrgreen:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:28 pm

I think some DJs that come from the world of spinning vinyl think "If I'm not flipping through records and physically cueing, beat matching, and manipulating vinyl then I might as well just put on an itunes playlist" but digital DJing has introduced a whole new world of possibilities like Traktor's 4 tracks at a time or Live's limitless tracks and loops. There's also much improved effects options. To do all these well and not over do it takes some serious skill too. There's plenty to keep you busy. I think somebody who relies mostly on physical performance has very little imagination or is scared of the new world order.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:35 pm

beats me wrote:I think some DJs that come from the world of spinning vinyl think "If I'm not flipping through records and physically cueing, beat matching, and manipulating vinyl then I might as well just put on an itunes playlist" but digital DJing has introduced a whole new world of possibilities like Traktor's 4 tracks at a time or Live's limitless tracks and loops. There's also much improved effects options. To do all these well and not over do it takes some serious skill too. There's plenty to keep you busy. I think somebody who relies mostly on physical performance has very little imagination or is scared of the new world order.

But digital DJ'ing IS STILL a physical performance just with more options, more opportunities to be unique and creative more knobs, buttons, tables, controllers, LEMURS, etc. It's awesome!
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 pm

ChiDJ wrote:
beats me wrote:I think some DJs that come from the world of spinning vinyl think "If I'm not flipping through records and physically cueing, beat matching, and manipulating vinyl then I might as well just put on an itunes playlist" but digital DJing has introduced a whole new world of possibilities like Traktor's 4 tracks at a time or Live's limitless tracks and loops. There's also much improved effects options. To do all these well and not over do it takes some serious skill too. There's plenty to keep you busy. I think somebody who relies mostly on physical performance has very little imagination or is scared of the new world order.

But digital DJ'ing IS STILL a physical performance just with more options, more opportunities to be unique and creative more knobs, buttons, tables, controllers, LEMURS, etc. It's awesome!
We're not in disagreement there. Some DJs just don't want to swap one skill set out for another.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:22 am

True, but how many DJs actually put those extra option to good use rather than just trash perfectly good music?

There is something to be said for clubs hiring a hooker to lurk in the DJ booth to keep DJs busy and stop them from fucking about with the music ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:50 am

beats me wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:

We're not in disagreement there. Some DJs just don't want to swap one skill set out for another.
what kind of sense does that make, switch out one skill for another 8O why don't bass players just stop and play laptops, or the drums and why don't drummers just stop and play something else. you guys kill me, I can pull up 40 clips right now that show a dj on two turntables doing shit that you can't do with all of your programs and midi controllers, and on top of that I can pull up clips of djs on vinyl that will kill moldover and any other controllerist you can find ...

and you've got the nerve to say that they just don't want to evolve hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahah

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:18 pm

starving student wrote:
beats me wrote:
what kind of sense does that make, switch out one skill for another 8O why don't bass players just stop and play laptops, or the drums and why don't drummers just stop and play something else. you guys kill me, I can pull up 40 clips right now that show a dj on two turntables doing shit that you can't do with all of your programs and midi controllers, and on top of that I can pull up clips of djs on vinyl that will kill moldover and any other controllerist you can find ...

and you've got the nerve to say that they just don't want to evolve hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahah
And I'll match your 40 clips of DJs doing amazing shit on turntables with 100 clips of DJs on turntables putting people to sleep. You abuse youtube more than anybody on this forum and youtube isn't a snapshot of everybody's local clubs. I can pull up clips of people doing amazing things playing a saw and washboard. It's laughable that you think vinyl is going to stand the same test of time as drums and bass guitar.