[6663] Audio stops playing on master channel??

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
si.

[6663] Audio stops playing on master channel??

Post by si. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Just wondering if this is a live bug or something to do with the plugins I'm using...

In project I am working on at the moment, the audio cuts out on the master channel without warning (the CPU meter is below 50%). The level meters on all the channels still show audio though and when I solo certain tracks, the sound comes through.

This doesnt work on all channels though. The channels that don't work don't all have plugins on them.

If I re-open the project, sound works ok again for a while. Also by freezing a track (even if I press cancel before its completed), I can get the audio working again briefly.

The whole things is pretty frustrating! Even if I render the project, the audio still cuts out and I get a half-empty wav file.

Any ideas?

westlicht

Re: Audio stops playing on master channel??

Post by westlicht » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:49 am

Well, I do have exactly the same problem, and you're right, this is very frustrating. While this bug is not resolved, I think I cannot use the current Live version for live-acts, as it is just too much gambling :( Also, I'm using a few plugins, but I still think this is related to some Live internal issues. Ableton please, are you aware of this bug or is there anything we can do to help you get it fixed?

Simon

si.

Post by si. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 pm

I managed to find and delete the channel that was creating this problem. Project plays as normal now.

There was no effects on the channel, just an audio file so I think maybe it could have gotten corrupted somehow or maybe it was recorded at a different sample rate or something.

Still though, this shouldn't crash the program...

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm

hi si.,

do you have a backup of your set with the one channel creating the problem?

If so, does the problem persist if you delete all other tracks from the project to narrow down to exactly that track?

It would be really great if I could get such a set, as small as possible, self-contained, so I can reproduce the bug in-house here.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

si.

Re: [mma] Audio stops playing on master channel??

Post by si. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:15 pm

no problem, I will email it to you now.

Matthias

Re: [mma] Audio stops playing on master channel??

Post by Matthias » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:00 pm

hi si.,

thx alot for your set. I got the bug reproduced and will investigate further now.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

Matthias

Re: [6663] Audio stops playing on master channel??

Post by Matthias » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:47 am

Hi all,

the problem was that the set contained an corrupt 32 bit floating point wav file which contained several NaN. Live for now does not filter those. We are working on a fix for that special case which might get included in future releases.

Si. told me via e-mail that the file might got corrupt during restauration of his hard disc.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

westlicht

Post by westlicht » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I think my problem is not related to corrupt WAV files, as I'm using VSTs on these channels. The effect is the same though. Is it possible that the plugins are streaming out NaN? Probably they shouldn't :) I never had such problems in older live versions (7.x). I did some further testing, but it's not easy to reproduce the error. I have two live sets I know the bug occurres. But they use several external plugins (Native Instruments and D16 Group mainly) all on the newest versions. Sometimes the master audio comes back when muting said channel, sometimes there is no audio until I reload the project.

Would it be helpful to send you one of the failing live sets? Do you have access to these plugins, I can give you a more detailed list if necessary.

Simon

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:19 am

hi westlicht,

sounds like a different problem. Sure, VSTs could stream NaNs but I wouldn't think that is the problem. Sending the set definitely makes sense but it may take some time to investigate.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com