Is Live 8 Stable?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Theo Void

Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by Theo Void » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Been on the forum for awhile, usually just lurking. Most questions are already answered as I'm sure this one may be. But I'm just looking for opinions on whether I should upgrade to Live 8 now or wait. From what I read here it sounds totally unstable and buggy! I'm fine with 7 but the Lopper is pretty appealing. So what do u think?

LoopStationZebra

Re: Is Live 8 Stable?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Why not grab a demo of 8 and see if it works for you!? Put it through whatever paces you will. 8)
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:33 pm

it should be perfectly stable as long as you don't use any plugins.

best would be to try the demo, and if you plan to use some plugins, don't add them first, add them later, and see if it behaved stable before, and not after, and such.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks man.
I do use quite a few Plug-ins so that kinda sucks.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 pm

davepermen wrote:it should be perfectly stable as long as you don't use any plugins
Yes, also if make sure you don't press the play button then you should be fine.
Drums

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Sunsetter wrote:Thanks man.

just try the demo, some people have no or only a little issues, some a lot... but i feel they are on a good way bringing the performance back for everyone.

8.1.2 is around the corner...
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:
davepermen wrote:it should be perfectly stable as long as you don't use any plugins
bla.. as if live would be unusable without plugins..

but to the OP, test your plugs with it. chances are, it works, chances are, it fails to.. just test it, you have one month free time i think.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:56 pm

davepermen wrote:it should be perfectly stable as long as you don't use any plugins.

best would be to try the demo, and if you plan to use some plugins, don't add them first, add them later, and see if it behaved stable before, and not after, and such.
Thats is any plugins at all, including live's own plugins. Better still - dont warp audio either, or do any mass undos and definately dont drag stuff around.

Probably best not to use midi either. Thinking about it, probably avoid un-warped audio too ;)

Are you stable? 8)
Nothing to see here - move along!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Khazul wrote:and definately dont drag stuff around.
damn, this one even with the supposed option txt fix does annoy the hell out of me. grrr.

i hope it has priority in the 8.1.2 fix.
*** Image GAFM ***

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

If I understand, Live 8 ICON may be stable, saying that it SHOULD not disappear from your folders, but if you don"t drag and drop it??? (not saying about actually USING live 8, I know it's the better way to get it crash)

I'd really love to have a stable ICON of Live 8, just for fun, (using live 6 fine), but if it may disappear or blink sometimes, I think I won't do the upgrade.

to be continued... :mrgreen:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Khazul wrote:
davepermen wrote:it should be perfectly stable as long as you don't use any plugins.

Thats is any plugins at all, including live's own plugins. Better still - dont warp audio either, or do any mass undos and definately dont drag stuff around.

Probably best not to use midi either. Thinking about it, probably avoid un-warped audio too ;)

Are you stable? 8)
... you're trying to be funny, but somehow fail on me. no, live's default included instruments and effects are not plugins. as, that would defeat the definition of plugins.. really..

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:01 pm

davepermen wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:
bla.. as if live would be unusable without plugins..
Really? I opened the most recent Live beta last night (8.1.2b4). One midi track, otherwise fresh set. Nothing attached to my macbook pro whatsoever, no audio interface, not even a keyboard. I loaded a collision preset and played a few notes on the computer keyboard - Crash! This has happened a few times before, plug-in or Ableton device. Even more with a max for live device.

Is this stable without third party plug-ins? You tell me.
Professional Shark Jumper.

sen10

Post by sen10 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Sunsetter wrote:Thanks man.
Try the demo and see how it works for you (as has already been said) and don't be put off by whatever you may be told. Go by your own experience, it's the only way.

Personally, I've been using Live 8.1.1 for a while now on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and it's not crashed on me once. It really seems to be down to what's on your system, what plugins you use and your computers OS (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Vista Windows 7, whatever). As someone already mentioned, Live 8.1.2 is very close to becoming available and Ableton have been trying to solve as many issues as possible.

Don't be put off - there are hundreds of thousands of live users out there and only about one third of them use this forum - Live 8 is working for many more people than it appears to be! :wink:
s e n 1 0
beats+productions

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Sunsetter wrote:Been on the forum for awhile, usually just lurking. Most questions are already answered as I'm sure this one may be. But I'm just looking for opinions on whether I should upgrade to Live 8 now or wait. From what I read here it sounds totally unstable and buggy! I'm fine with 7 but the Lopper is pretty appealing. So what do u think?

testing the beta4 on windowz7 working fine here, Why are you interested in the looper? not sure I have read or heard anyone using it, and posting about how great it is..

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:36 pm

davepermen wrote:
Khazul wrote:

Are you stable? 8)
... you're trying to be funny, but somehow fail on me. no, live's default included instruments and effects are not plugins. as, that would defeat the definition of plugins.. really..
They are runtime loaded components that correspond to live extended private plugin API - they are as much plugins as say the cubase only, or logic only 'plugins' that come with those respective packages.

As for being funny, it didnt start out like that, just as writing I starting remembering the circumsttances under which it had crashed in the last few weeks - which pretty much rules out everything as 'stable' :)

Actually the only crash type I forgot to mention was simply starting live, and that was only because it crashed while trying to recover the history from a previous crash.

Anyway - perhaps the maintain air demands extreme caution and seriousness - avalanches, mad cows with huge bells and all that... - scary place! :)
Nothing to see here - move along!