Can I get gladiator muscles working out at home?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Can I get gladiator muscles working out at home?

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm

I've had gym memberships in my lifetime but after doing the math of dues paid and times I actually went it came out to about $462 per visit.

My apartment doesn't have the space for some big all-in-one contraption and my balcony isn't big enough for some kind of prison yard gym emulation.

My friend who was in the navy used to do his workouts using nothing but a floor mat and his own bodyweight, but unfortunately the navy didn't teach him to not drunkenly fuck around with Italy's sub par electrical codes and he is no longer with us *pours 40*. So I can't pick his brain on that routine.

So given all that, what are some around the apartment exercises that can be done or some kind of minimal weights or substitutes for weights that would build the kind of muscles that are usually only achieved through airbrushing?

UKRuss

Re: Can I get gladiator muscles working out at home?

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:33 pm

The short answer is no.

You can work out sure, but to get gladiator muscles you need to be pushing weight to failure with your major muscle groups. Since you need to go to failure you need someone to spot you and take the weight off you or you'll crush yourself.

Because of that, using your own body weight works to a point until you no longer go to failure without doing ridiculous amounts of reps...whereupon it simply becomes impossible to complete.

BUT, the good news is you can do most of the major exercises, squat, press, deadlift with a barbell and a decent amount of weight, which can fit in to your apartment no trouble.

My take is based on doing quite a bit of research, talking to those that do actually have those muscles, realising it isn't for me and moving on with the knowledge. also noting gladiator muslces are a little ghey.

It's interesting to note that you rarley see those kind of people in the gym. Why? Big weights, one set to failure, shower, home.

none of this pissing about on treadmills and rowing machines and three sets of this and drop sets of that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Gladiator was probably the wrong general term, but as I have been watching Spartacus on Starz, the actor who plays Spartacus has what I would consider lean muscle, defined but not all bulked out like a wrestler.

This thread is only as gay as you want it to be.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 pm

You defintely won't get bulked out like the wrestlers with the 'roids.

Going to failure with one set, 8-12 reps is THE way to get definition. As you get to 12 without failure, up the weight and rop back to 8 reps and so on.

Forget the tiny isolation exercises as well, pointless. Big muslce groups is what it's about, compound exercises: Bench Press, Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press, upright row.

Believe, that will see you ripped in no time.

You gotta watch what you eat of course...but even this is easy, just avoid the obvious crap, no high fats, no fried shit, veg, fruit, lean meat, risce, pasta, sensible portions.

I know it all but am far too lazy to actually do it myself. :lol:

It only gets gay when the oils come out.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Did someone say oils?

eandersonase

Post by eandersonase » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:44 pm

lay flat on your back and lift your feet 12 inches off the ground... when you can no longer do this then start moving you legs and feet like your riding a bike while in same position

push-ups start with your arms out wide, then do shoulder with, then make a diamond and touch your nose to the floor in the center
A MIC and the STAGE

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:48 pm

I've been improving my diet over the last couple months but not going overboard or analyzing it to death. Stopped eating fast food. Meat is always cooked on the bbq or foreman grill except for the occasional slow cooked roast. Love veggies so that's not an issue. Every couple weeks I make a big ass container of pasta salad - pasta, peppers, onions, olives, and Italian dressing. Yum. I've just been getting into cooking more in general. Probably my biggest food vice is sugary soda. Stopping drinking alcohol has also helped.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Building muscles will not burn fat. To get that cut look you have to build muscle AND burn fat. Weight lifting doesn't actually burn many calories, but it does build muscles. So you end up with good muscle buried under fat. Gotta do both, and watch your diet.

Aerobic exercise is good for fat burning. Running, swimming, boxing...all good for burning calories. Check out an online list of how much each activity burns and pick one you like.

Diet is important. Plenty of info out there on that. It's good to eat many small meals. If you go more than 3-4 hours without eating your body goes into a catabolic state and starts converting muscle into fat. Not good.

With weightlifting, low reps will build mass more, high reps will get you cut, generally speaking. Make sure you work out your entire body, not just the hotspots like pecs, arms, etc. It's important to have a strong back if you have a strong front. Strong abs are critical to overall back health. Core exercises are great for internal stability and health.

There's a lot you can do in an apartment with some dumbells, and adding a bench in there will really get you going.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:22 pm

This work's well...

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:30 pm

cosmosuave wrote:This work's well...

Isn't this to cure incontinence?

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:56 pm

I've heard alot about PX90 and all that muscle confusion stuff.. I am sure you've seen the infomercials late at night.. It's hard core but from what i hear, you stick with it, and results will show.. off course they don't mention the diet plan that goes along with it.. but if your already eating healthy, then it makes it easier.. you don't even drink anymore.. all you need is the pull up bar and some free weights.. if you do get it and go thru the program, you have to get before and after shots flexing with your music setup and post it in the "post your ugly cat/set up thread".. that would be priceless..

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:02 pm

im lazy but hung.

ladys like it,

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:02 pm

this is probably what you are looking for:

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:45 pm

ethios4 wrote:Building muscles will not burn fat. To get that cut look you have to build muscle AND burn fat. Weight lifting doesn't actually burn many calories, but it does build muscles. So you end up with good muscle buried under fat. Gotta do both, and watch your diet.

Aerobic exercise is good for fat burning. Running, swimming, boxing...all good for burning calories. Check out an online list of how much each activity burns and pick one you like.

This is THE biggest fallacy in the gym world and THE main reason gyms make so much money out of their members.

Building muscle absolutely burns fat, the bigger your muscle the more calories you need to sustain them. If you control the calories while building muscle your body burns the fat off.

Cardio is for self-harmers.

On top of that most of them don't burn many calories. Cycling for half an hour burns off the same calories as a ham sandiwhc, useless. I'm not saying you don't get fit but for burning fat. Weight training is where its at.

Weight lifting plus good diet = lean and cut.

Simple.