OK, help me decide!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
UKRuss

OK, help me decide!

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Midi controller for me studio. I've tried a few and not been 100% happy for a number of reasons.

Tried UC33e, Trigger Finger, Korg Nanos, Launchpad.

I'd ideally like apc40 type control which i think suits my very easily overloaded brain but I don't need clip launch matrices and pretty colours.

8 faders but with the ease of being able to jump up 8 tracks to acces 9-16 and so on.
buttons for arm, mute, solo
transport controls and cue vol
General navigation buttons, up, down, left, right
Device control, 8 rotaries with navigation to next 8 parameters
Track control with rotaries for pan, sends and so on. this is important as I usually have at least 6 return tracks on the go and would like to be able to control them all via the rotaries.

Anythign you think I should look at here or should I build my own midi controller?

LoopStationZebra

Re: OK, help me decide!

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Build it. Then post pics. Then start charging $5000 for it. Include an interactive touchscreen that slides out from the top or sides but is actually just a taped on image you've done in Photoshop. The ponces will never know the difference.

HOT.

UKR, this is a decidedly NON LOUNGE topic my friend!? wtf? This *gasp* actually may belong over in GENERAL. 8O
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:37 pm

It's not Live related though!

I don't know where to post anymore :x

btw, building one looks a non-starter. i cannot be arsed with all that 'electronics today' stuff.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:11 pm

UKRuss wrote:8 faders but with the ease of being able to jump up 8 tracks to acces 9-16 and so on.
buttons for arm, mute, solo
transport controls and cue vol
General navigation buttons, up, down, left, right
Device control, 8 rotaries with navigation to next 8 parameters
Track control with rotaries for pan, sends and so on. this is important as I usually have at least 6 return tracks on the go and would like to be able to control them all via the rotaries.
If you really want to do all of the above without the Launchpad, I'd recommend the Nocturn (w/ guille's script), nanoKontrol (w/ myralfur's script), and possibly a usb keypad.

I navigate with the usb keypad. I have it customized (using Controllermate) so with Num Lock on, the arrows act as alt+arrow, and revert to regular arrows with Num Lock off. Although, depending on how you have the nanoKontrol setup, you'd probably have enough buttons on other scenes to do navigation without having to use a usb keypad by using a midi to keystroke utility like QuicKeys.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 pm

I was going to go with the nanos. Get 2 of them. It's what I used to use before the LP. Very reliable.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:40 pm

I didn't like the nanos...sold 'em.

I just want one controller to do the bloody job! Why don't they make a controller that does an all in one?

Bah!