Can I get gladiator muscles working out at home?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
UKRuss

Re: Can I get gladiator muscles working out at home?

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:46 pm

nuxnamon wrote:I've heard alot about PX90 and all that muscle confusion stuff.. I am sure you've seen the infomercials late at night.. It's hard core but from what i hear, you stick with it, and results will show.. off course they don't mention the diet plan that goes along with it.. but if your already eating healthy, then it makes it easier.. you don't even drink anymore.. all you need is the pull up bar and some free weights.. if you do get it and go thru the program, you have to get before and after shots flexing with your music setup and post it in the "post your ugly cat/set up thread".. that would be priceless..
Money making scams. Avoid at all costs. Weight training plus diet, nothing more, nothing less.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:48 pm

PM me your e-mail addy I'll send you THE book to read up and the real science and how to get trim.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm

UKRuss wrote:
nuxnamon wrote:I've heard alot about PX90 and all that muscle confusion stuff.. I am sure you've seen the infomercials late at night.. It's hard core but from what i hear, you stick with it, and results will show.. off course they don't mention the diet plan that goes along with it.. but if your already eating healthy, then it makes it easier.. you don't even drink anymore.. all you need is the pull up bar and some free weights.. if you do get it and go thru the program, you have to get before and after shots flexing with your music setup and post it in the "post your ugly cat/set up thread".. that would be priceless..
Money making scams. Avoid at all costs. Weight training plus diet, nothing more, nothing less.

UKRuss wrote:PM me your e-mail addy I'll send you THE book to read up and the real science and how to get trim.
:lol: :lol:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:36 pm

$15?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 pm

:D

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:31 pm

UKRuss wrote:
ethios4 wrote:Building muscles will not burn fat. To get that cut look you have to build muscle AND burn fat. Weight lifting doesn't actually burn many calories, but it does build muscles. So you end up with good muscle buried under fat. Gotta do both, and watch your diet.

Aerobic exercise is good for fat burning. Running, swimming, boxing...all good for burning calories. Check out an online list of how much each activity burns and pick one you like.

This is THE biggest fallacy in the gym world and THE main reason gyms make so much money out of their members.

Building muscle absolutely burns fat, the bigger your muscle the more calories you need to sustain them. If you control the calories while building muscle your body burns the fat off.

Cardio is for self-harmers.

On top of that most of them don't burn many calories. Cycling for half an hour burns off the same calories as a ham sandiwhc, useless. I'm not saying you don't get fit but for burning fat. Weight training is where its at.
Very interesting. I would be happy for this to be true since I hate cardio stuff. But I've looked up how many calories are burned by different activities and elliptical training, running, boxing, etc are burning 2-3 times as many calories as weightlifting. I realize there is more to it than calories burned, but what do you make of that?

For example, according to my weight, one hour of weightlifting burns about 300 calories vs. cycling which burns about 750.

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 pm

if you're looking to get cut, fewer reps with higher weights to failure is the way to go, but also important is full range of motion, and controlled, slow movements. You can get ripped like gladiator at home, but there is one other HUGE factor to muscular potential. Genetics. You have a cap on how bulkly you'll look. generally speaking, the shorter your tendons, the more pumped your muscles have the potential to get. some muscles you can't actually tell on, or it's hard to calculate, but your bicep is an interesting one. Make a muscle so your arm is 90 degrees. then look at the space from the inner corner of your elbow to the point that your muscle starts to bulge. If it's less than 1/2", you could look pretty huge. 1", you could still do pretty good, more than that an you're just not going to have massive biceps. I don't know what book UKRuss is recommending, but if looks is what you're after, check out The New H.I.T. (high intensity training). the principles in there would help you figure out how to get a good workout at home. i would be willing to give ideas too. peace.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 am

Sure you can get ripped at home.

Do 3 sets each of 50 push-ups and 50 sit-ups every day. It might take a while to be able to get to that point, but it's well doable. Used to be my routine. Also do bicep curls and tricep excercies as many days as you can of high rep, medium weight. Leave at 2 days between low rep/high weight excercies though if you do that with dumbbells.
low rep/high weight = bigger muscles
high rep/lower weight = more defined muscles (more fat burning). You can these more often.

All you need is a set of dumbbells. You can use them for biceps, triceps, shoulders raises, or even back when pulling. Then do push-ups/sit-ups as well and you're set.
Professional Shark Jumper.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:48 am

ethios4 wrote:
UKRuss wrote:
ethios4 wrote:Building muscles will not burn fat. To get that cut look you have to build muscle AND burn fat. Weight lifting doesn't actually burn many calories, but it does build muscles. So you end up with good muscle buried under fat. Gotta do both, and watch your diet.

Aerobic exercise is good for fat burning. Running, swimming, boxing...all good for burning calories. Check out an online list of how much each activity burns and pick one you like.

This is THE biggest fallacy in the gym world and THE main reason gyms make so much money out of their members.

Building muscle absolutely burns fat, the bigger your muscle the more calories you need to sustain them. If you control the calories while building muscle your body burns the fat off.

Cardio is for self-harmers.

On top of that most of them don't burn many calories. Cycling for half an hour burns off the same calories as a ham sandiwhc, useless. I'm not saying you don't get fit but for burning fat. Weight training is where its at.
Very interesting. I would be happy for this to be true since I hate cardio stuff. But I've looked up how many calories are burned by different activities and elliptical training, running, boxing, etc are burning 2-3 times as many calories as weightlifting. I realize there is more to it than calories burned, but what do you make of that?

For example, according to my weight, one hour of weightlifting burns about 300 calories vs. cycling which burns about 750.
From what I can remember when I had a trainer for a year or so, the reason that weight training burns more is because your body keeps burning longer after you've stopped lifting than when you stop doing cardio. So it would make sense (and could be a classic example of using statistics to breed misunderstanding) that the stats you saw are in fact true, but only if you take into account the burning that is going on during the exercise itself. I'm no expert, I only know what I learned from a trainer.
Unsound Designer

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:16 am

http://www.bodyrock.tv/

good ideas for home workouts

shes also great to look at and thats not gay at all
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:30 am

yea, ethios, it has to do with 2 things. first, afterburn, which is much longer in weight lifting. but more important is how many calories you burn when in a restful state. Simply put, your body needs an extra 50 calories extra per day to function for each additional pound of muscle you add. Cardio activities don't add many pounds of muscle, but weight lifting does. So you might run for an hour and burn more calories than if you lifted, but then afterburn continues and the lifter will catch up. but after that, say the other 22 hours of the day, in the end it's the person with the most muscle mass that is going to burn the most calories.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:43 am

Wow, fascinating, thanks for the schooling! Man, that is undoing years and years of incorrect thinking! :D

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 am

Android Bishop wrote:this is probably what you are looking for:

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

i should probably say a little more about this. This is a fantastic workout book that covers an in depth analysis of different types of workouts (strength, aerobic, speed, and others) and includes dozens of exercises you can do at home for each category and muscle group. it also explains how to create an effective workout plan as well as some tips on diet and nutrition. you'll learn a lot and you'll have an arsenal of exercises to choose from without having to join a gym. joining a gym would still be a good idea though, as they have lots of gear and you're more likely to stick around for a full workout if you're out of the house

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 am

also:

http://www.strengthmill.com/

a CRAP TON of free videos for all types of exercises. body weight, weight training, resistance bands, all kinds of stuff. one of the best free resources on the net