OK... so i know you dont all make your own ....

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
eandersonase

Re: OK... so i know you dont all make your own ....

Post by eandersonase » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:04 am

So why do I need one to record? Wouldn't u just record through ur computer? I do not have an extranal recording device. I do like the idea of hooking up my guitar! Or having my vinyl play into my computer.

Do u happen to have a link on the so called price to card and feature thread thank u very much
A MIC and the STAGE

eandersonase

Post by eandersonase » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:07 am

H20nly wrote:^ wrong. that big group of buttons is used to launch clips (which could be loops) but there are a lot more controls on that device.

I get loops from Men At Work cassettes.
. And I'm sure u are also stocked up on abba cassettes too lol jk
A MIC and the STAGE

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 am

^ thats it! I'm not helping you any more...

*barfs*

:lol:

No, there's a lot of them though... hold... change that to yes... here's one from a few days ago http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135402

Two reasons to get an external interface (not the only two though)...

1) sooner or later you'll hit a wall with latency if you're recording. Latency basically is where you computer is playing back audio (while you're monitoring) slower than its going in. Its a result of the bottleneck... So, lets say you were recording vocals, you'd say ay something ing into oo the mic ic and nd hear ear a slight ight delay ay.

2) its just nice to have an interface so that if some dude with a bass or a keyboard shows up, you just plug him in, arm your track and hit record instead of having to switch everything around. Same with your guitar and records. Hit record and strum or scratch or both!!

*Quality would be the third if it wasn't the first, but thats more for recording audio then MIDI as MIDI is just data. You want the best quality recording because its easier to build with good building blocks than not.

It all boils down to performance and ease of use. Your computer's internal sound card is only designed for and capable of so much... that will get you by while you keep reading those tutorials and mucking about (learning/experimenting). Eventually you'll start saying "I wish I could just ________" or "if I only had a _________". Those blanks represent your evolving workflow and what you want to achieve/improve within it. Take your time.

Hope this helps

Peace,
g

eandersonase

Post by eandersonase » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 am

Now u got me thinking I did just purchase a creative sound card ... Good thing I only spent 37 on it

I'll have to look into gettin a nice sound card

One thing I noticed , well I guess two things , is that most sound cards comes with cubase. What does that do? #2 a lot of cards do not have the same plug INS that I use as I use RCA except for my guitar of course

what about mbox2 mini?
A MIC and the STAGE

eandersonase

Post by eandersonase » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:00 am

I really thank all of you!
A MIC and the STAGE

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:00 am

Cubase has its advantages... don't knock it. Decent Reverb and Delay is one of them. Its no Live, but I'm actually playing back a track I recorded in Cubase both a long time ago and added more recently... last Saturday (reworked it). You already have Live so you're all set. Anything else is a bonus that expands your options. .mp3 export is another good reason to have Cubase. You can only export .wav files from Live, but then take them to Cubase to add a little or just convert to .mp3 for web...

The other thing you should be looking at right away is nice monitors and/or at least nice headphones for now... I'm partial to my new Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

Again take your time. Nothing worse than buying gear that won't work for you later. If you see any posts from leedsquietmen when it comes to gear... he's the truth. so consider his opinion in that realm even if its only as a checks and balances type measure. Plenty of good folks here and they may talk their fare share of smack but when it gets down too it, my experience is that folks would rather help than harm... especially around here. Just weigh your responses your, needs and of course, your options. oh, and don't be discourage is anyone is talkin a little smack or tossing a joke...

I can't stress enough... take your time. and HAVE FUN!!!

PM when you get something done I'd like to hear what you're trying to do... can't promise I'll love it, but I will promise to help you understand why I do or don't like an element... not that my opinion mean jack didley, but its a perspective...

again,
Peace.

eandersonase

Post by eandersonase » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 am

i was looking at Cakewalk UA-1G Audio Interface

b/c it has all the inputs and outputs i need but im not sure this is a good unit

do you all have any suggestions?
A MIC and the STAGE

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 am

nope no loops, only use them rarely when i do remixes and are supplied by such.

that is where most of the fun in making music is for me, creating your own.
*** Image GAFM ***