resampling a Live set... during a gig?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kcinsu

resampling a Live set... during a gig?

Post by kcinsu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:59 am

So, I really want to capture the audio from an upcoming gig, and I'm trying to decide the best way to do it... the simplest way to do it, would to resample the master output... but I wonder if people have done this, and had issues... since you are writing data to disk while performing?

for what it's worth I am using mainly external synths, routed into live, with several effects. My CPU never goes about 20%.

Or should I just play it safe, and get the signal from the mixing board? (much more hassle)

Thanks for your advice!

tlennon

Re: resampling a Live set... during a gig?

Post by tlennon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:05 am

Doesn't really matter where you get the signal from. You are still writing to disk while reading from it if you are using other pre-recorded material. If you are not using other tracks, just processing the incoming signal from an external source, you are only writing to disk. Either way, if you have a decent system, it should be just fine as the operating system will manage the disk I/O with cache and buffers. Of course it is always a good idea to try it before you get to the live engagement. Just a suggestion. Good luck at your gig.
Terrence Lennon

revA
Location: Aachen, NRW, Germany, Earth, Solar System, Milkyway

Post by revA » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:28 am

you could try this little freeware-plugin: http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/
it's a vst that can stream incomming audio to a physical output or a file, put in in your master, set output to file and you go. works fine that way for me

hth
Acer TM 7720G/Live8/EMU 1616m/Maschine/LD2/Launchpad and then some
http://soundcloud.com/revA
http://www.archive.org/details/tea.age.studios
http://www.mediafire.com/reva

emef

Post by emef » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 pm

resampling should be ok, but like the other guy said, do your live set at home and resample it to see if there are any issues

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 pm

I often do it (when I don't forget to), and it's allright with my setup:

macbook Core2duo 2,4ghz, 4gb ram, 320GB 7200rpm HD
motu ultralite, buffer 256ms
padkontrol, faderfox LV2
live 6.11

I set an audio track to record the master.

all my live is based on bounced wavs, so there is lots of HD straming. No bug, sometimes the screen freezes when I load a multibounce, but the sound keeps sounding and the controls keep responding, the master keeps beeing recorded with no hiccups.

cheers

ciw

Post by ciw » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:59 pm

I was considering doing this, but noticed that the audio tended to glitch slightly about every 15 minutes when I was doing it, and not when I didn't. So didn't do it in the actual gig. Testing is everything :)

My setup consisted of playing maximum 3 clips from disk at a time, though often warped, and a couple of vst synths/effects controlled by bcr and wiimote so loads of midi control data hammering in particularly from the latter.

System was a millenium music-pc laptop core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 7200rpm hdd, firebox.

I wouldn't have thought a vst doing the job is any better, not much to be gained as it's still writing to disk, and external vsts can cause stability issues.

edit: thinking about this i have recorded the master channel in the past, while also recording audio loops live and playing from two or three clips. no problems. it's probably the wiimote that destabilizes it all a bit.

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 am

if you were going to record the output of the mixer i guess you have som kind of hd recorder?
Make a returnchannel set output to external and plug your recorder in there. Remember to send everything to it.
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo