Skating as In skateboarding

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
smutek

Skating as In skateboarding

Post by smutek » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 am

Who rides?

I just copped a new Gravity -

36" x 9.5", Indy 169's with 60mm ratbones 85a for rough surfaces and some 60mm 95a H-St wheel for ramps and smooth concrete. Have not been able to take it out due to shit weather, too much work, and crazy amounts of snow - but I'm stoked that spring is just around the corner and can't wait to get out and ride.

I'm mostly into riding concrete, parks and that sort of thing. old school kind of style, cruising, catching grinds, that sort of thing. Never got into the technical street stuff myself, not too into vert these days as I'm an old man and bruise easy.

8)

I skated really hardcore from about '84 through till about 2001, stopped for a few years and just got back into riding this past year.

Not that I can do this type of shit anymore, but here's me way back when blasting a big frontside boneless out at Lansdowne skate park.

Speaking of old men, here's a video of Duane Peters, one old dude that's still ripping:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv8SlvPJuWQ

Who else rides skateboards here?

mode:masters

Re: Skating as In skateboarding

Post by mode:masters » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:43 am

Much like you I rode from about 86 - 02. Still have a board in my shed, take it out occasionally.

Last time was about 3 months ago when my GF and I had a massive fight, so I picked up the deck and went for a 4 hour ride. About 5 mins down the road I got snagged on a big stone on the pavement and hit the deck like a sack of spuds :P

Came back with a particularly gnarly scar on my left knee. :oops:

But yeah, should get out more. Unfortunately my local council decided to tear up the only decent mini ramp nearby, so now I will have to go to parks I'm not too confident at.

Luckily our skate park in the city centre is open 24/7, so maybe some late night sessions soon.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:12 am

Me:
Online rank = 135,800
Trick score = 140,909

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:16 am

nothing beats a new solid deck with fresh griptape.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:18 am

I sk8. Started when I was 12, stopped when I was 22, started up again 4 years ago at 30.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm

i wish i had the balls to start again - it just feels wrong/scary for me now - i also started in the 80's

i still have a rob roskopp face in the cupboard all ready to go with toxic secrets, pacer trucks, cell block and rip grip!

you weirdo's nowadays have the deck looking the same at both ends and the wheels look too small to get across paving slab gaps :lol:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, when I started again it was really weird getting used to the skinny boards and small wheels. I see the benefit now, it does make a difference for a lot of tricks.

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Been skating most of my life. That would be.... uh, a while (my body hates me). Had to slow down a few times due to injuries , but still get after it at least a couple of times a week. Hooray for beer! Currently back down to a single short can warm-up. :lol:
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 pm

theres still time yet though i think - never say never and all that :)

is it worth buying a complete to get back in to it, or is it still a bad idea and better to build it yourself?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Honestly they all seem pretty comparable in terms of build quality. Not like its hard to put together a set up too.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:45 pm

thanks for the heads up

might end up buying an Almost complete closer to summer

i think my wrists will look good in a cast :lol:

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Skated pretty much all my life... Had my first board when I was 10 (1976) it was a Dominion vertically laminated hard wood deck with clay wheels one hard fucking ride... Later on saved some money and bought a plastic deck with urethane wheels on lay away at Stedmans dept store... Got out of it and then back into it in 1987 and kept at till about 1998 with annual trips to the Turf skatepark in Milwaukee and hanging with cool locals and this punk chick that would drive us everywhere to get Olde English...

One summer I had a job with the city driving a pick up truck loaded with ramps and rails to various neighbourhoods for skaters to use and helped assist in building a public 1/2 pipe 10 ft high 24 ft wide with a foot of vert... First ramp I learned to drop in on bailed twice and got it on the 3rd try fucking scary...

Now that my son is almost 3 I have been taking him to this new concrete skatepark by our house and he loves it so I have started skating again... I'm not much of a street skater but really like to rip on mini 1/2 pipes like the one Tarekith is on... Still have my street deck which must be about 12yrs old and I also have a longboard...

Favourite skater is Mark Gonzalez... That dude did everything big and fast... It's funny on how much skating has changed from being underground loser sport to so mainstream...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:01 pm

The Turf! My man, I used to live there, had a pass and we'd go 3-4 times a week. That place was so much fun, that clover bowl was too sweet. So sad when they filled the bowls for good and turned it into a lawn mower store....

My favorite skaters were always Steve Caballero for his style, and Tony Magnussen for being so smooth while going so big.

Yapple Zapple.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:16 pm

I recall it was a strip joint prior to re-opening as a skatepark... The clover was cool but I was not so good at skating it and the vert on the capsule was huge... We would always do the Pabst brewery tour as well and load up on OE...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

1992' maybe??? I'm on a Jason Lee deck when Blind was ripping off all the old Bones Brigade art.

I still ride.