do you use iTunes

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mojofunk

Re: do you use iTunes

Post by mojofunk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:43 pm

And what do we all think about the unannounced installation (without uninstaller) of Bonjour by iTunes?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:50 pm

mojofunk wrote:And what do we all think about the unannounced installation (without uninstaller) of Bonjour by iTunes?
Fine with it. Apple knows best.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

mojofunk wrote:And what do we all think about the unannounced installation (without uninstaller) of Bonjour by iTunes?
Yet another reason I dislike iTunes. I was very happy to never have it installed on my new machine, then I bought my first iPod. :(

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 pm

well, that's always a hard part.

you can a) criple your software by not installing such stuff, and most people will then complain how much it doesnt have features, or b) you install such stuff, and put it to good use, and people will complain how much it installs by default :)

all in all, bonjour has good functionality, so why not? it's a background task to handle .. a background task. this is what a service is for.

the only thing i don't like is how it everytime at updates want to install safari and i think something for the iphone?

apps installing services != evil. apps installing mess == evil. a service is actually a good solution, better than some random "app in the background nobody knows what for".
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 pm

..yeah..and it's not just 'Bonjour'..
'services' added to windows by installation of iTunes :
'quicktime' /'bonjour' / 'Apple Mobile Device' / 'iPod Service'
all running .. taking resources even when iPod or iTunes or qt aren't working...
need to go in to services.msc and turn them from 'automatic' to 'manual' every single time I update..
none of the other players install 'services'...
bah.. I'm not trying to convert anyone...
these are the reasons I don't use it..
8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Is it safe to say that most Mac users are fine with whatever iTunes/Apple installs and PC users aren't so much?

And what makes Macs "just work" makes PCs all gummed up?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:51 pm

^ NO

it would be safer to say that Mac users are by default happy with Apple's decisions, regardless of their worth.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:01 pm

beats me wrote:Is it safe to say that most Mac users are fine with whatever iTunes/Apple installs and PC users aren't so much?

which makes the fact that macs are now pcs even more oxymoronic if you write it backwards

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm

beats me wrote:Is it safe to say that most Mac users are fine with whatever iTunes/Apple installs and PC users aren't so much?

God no.

I will never buy an apple computer, I dont care for them at all. And thats after many years of professionally supporting both Mac and PC. ( i have an iphone and an ipod, which although have some limitations are great as appliances)

All of my PCs are customised and lean, yet I choose Itunes for my media box player. Why? because its the best for my needs, including Foobar which is ok, but nowhere near as polished a product as Itunes. If you have friends over for a party, anyone can get an Itunes playlist going in seconds, even if they have never seen the program.

The installed services can all be turned off and removed, but I dont even bother anymore. On a tuned low end PC, the resources they take are negligible, and a large mp3 library can be entirely searched in milliseconds.

I cant help but laugh about people attacking Itunes for being bloated, and using winamp. I remember when Winamp 3 was considered the single buggiest, bloated player available, and all it really did was play songs, and had some good plugins.

I have a friend who uses winamp, hates Itunes. He has a large collection of downloaded music, but only listens to about a tenth of it, because he cant be bothered organising it, and it just sits collected in huge folders with about 3000 "Track Ones"

I dont rip, encode, edit or tag mp3s using itunes though, It does some stuff I dont like. I use dedicated programs for those jobs.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:45 am

no... PC users have more reference.. and don't bow down to one single company.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:43 pm

:?: 8O

so "PC" is not a company? :lol:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:02 pm

no, it's an alliance of different companies, that try together to take over the world of the computing market.

PC stands for Power (to the) Companies.

they do that to not show up as a monopole.. :)

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:07 pm

ooaaaaah, that's terrific... 8O

lucky that Apple is here to protect me :mrgreen:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:49 pm

indeed. then again, i'm allergic to apples (real ones). so i'm sorta.. allergic.. to apple, you know :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:54 pm

davepermen wrote:indeed. then again, i'm allergic to apples (real ones). so i'm sorta.. allergic.. to apple, you know :)
8O

Really? I have a weird stomach reaction to apples off the tree. Apple sauce or apple pie, no problem. But biting into an apple makes me feel like I want to throw up. I don't get it and never bothered to research it.