tracktor or serato which to buy??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lamby123

tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by lamby123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm

hi all

i have been saving for a digital dj setup for while now and have about £1200 to spend (could spend more). im looking at getting software + decks or cdjs/controllers i would need i have been looking at tracktor and serato for software but want to get your opinions on them. i have read some posts on other forums about tracktor being unstable and crashing a lot so im leaning towards serato which also has the collab with ableton (my daw), also which do you think is best type of hardware to use with them vinyl decks/ cdjs / dedicated controllers. also is either one better for certian music i like techno/dnb/house

SubFunk

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:21 pm

it depends, if you are into using control vinyl and control CDs only, i say probably serato, if you are into using a lot of midi and odd controllers, traktor
it is hard to say what the collab 'the bridge' will bring in the future in terms of functionality... as of now, traktor is the stronger product in terms of efx, manipulation, and using it in more different ways then just with simple control vinyls.
serato on it's own is just a record box in a computer and v2 is bringing nothing what traktor does not have already... it all depends what the bridge has to offer, and well you are tied on the damn rane interface, something i don' like.

and for the record, traktor did not crashed once, not one single time on me on osx, since the first version 3 (before it was called traktor pro)
not even the betas and no matter what i changed on my system (os, etc.)
*** Image GAFM ***

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Lamb - all you're going to get online are individual opinions, which do count for something, but, you really need to look at both platforms and listen to your gut. Both are good options. I suggest looking deeply at the GUI of both softwares to see which one makes more sense to your brain. When comparing two products this way, I can usually tell which one I like better, and I'm usually happy with my decision.

A factor in my decision to go with Serato was the company itself. Like Ableton, Serato is a small company obsessed with doing one thing and doing it well - making great software for music.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:38 pm

traktor from what i hear is not as bad and unstable as it used to be and it definitely has more bells and whistles than serato. But if you are going to be doing clubs and setting up in booths and such, Serato is pretty much the industry standard and you will usually find it along with other standard equipment such as technics 1200's and Pioneer CDJ's.. But if you already own ableton, I think it's a no brainer to get Serato given that the Bridge will integrate both software, something that Traktor can't do natively.. you might hear negative things about the bridge but for the most part, those are all people that don't have serato and don't want to fork up the cash for a serato box.. If I had traktor, i don't know if i would necessarily switch but if your just buying and on the fence between traktor and serato, serato in my opinion is the way to go given you already have ableton.. BTW, I haven't had to pay for any updates with serato.. they all have been free and ultra stable..

hardware wise, I still use 1200's mainly cuz I started with turntablism way before i even heard of ableton.. but if your just mixing, any CDJ would do.. but quality wise, your probably going to be looking at both Pioneer and Denon with the former being the club standard. Mixer wise, again it depends on what you want to do.. I use a TTM56 but with a TTM57, it integrates better with the Bridge because from what i've seen, it can record fader automation. but both are really built for scratching so if your just mixing, look elsewhere like Pioneer, allen heath, etc..

BTW, if your gonna get serato, best controller I've used is the Denon HC-1000s.. i swear you won't even have to touch the laptop anymore.. I just hope it integrates well with Bridge..

good luck

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Virtual DJ!!!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:41 pm

IMO if you've never spun vinyl or CDs and don't plan on being heavy into scratching or tunrtablism then it's an unnecessary expense or skill in your set that mostly just impresses other DJs. There's far more interesting things you can focus on learning in your set that the software offers. Nothing wrong with doing that though if that side of things really interests you.

Some of the dinosaurs in here will flame me for that statement. :)

Also my vote goes for Traktor.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm

beats me wrote:IMO if you've never spun vinyl or CDs and don't plan on being heavy into scratching or tunrtablism then it's an unnecessary expense or skill in your set that mostly just impresses other DJs. There's far more interesting things you can focus on learning in your set that the software offers. Nothing wrong with doing that though if that side of things really interests you.

i am totally with you that is why i like digital dj-ing (proper one not using control vinyls / CDs) over traditional dj-ing...
but obviously if you are into scratching, backspins and the lot, then it's probably serato being the better choice.
as of v1 it's really just a record box, v2 offers nothing more then traktor already has... it all depends on "the bridge"...

you ask at a very wrong time, for me the decision now is all up to what "the bridge" will offer,
if the bridge seriously opens a new and GIGANTIC new world, then i say serato all the way...
otherwise i personally stick with traktor (but i hope the bridge will be the ultimate overkill!!! btw.)
*** Image GAFM ***

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 pm

beats me wrote:IMO if you've never spun vinyl or CDs and don't plan on being heavy into scratching or tunrtablism then it's an unnecessary expense or skill in your set that mostly just impresses other DJs. There's far more interesting things you can focus on learning in your set that the software offers. Nothing wrong with doing that though if that side of things really interests you.

yeah, I agree.. i assumed the OP wanted the hands on control given he is buying a DVS.. but if your just starting, then just get some midi controllers like apc or something and just focus learning how to warp songs and reading the crowd.. but girls think turntables are sexy :wink:

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:28 pm

lamby123 wrote: is either one better for certian music i like techno/dnb/house
Serato is mostly choice of turntable DJs, hiphop, R&B, top 40, wedding etc. "Techno/dnb/house" DJ will be most probably using Traktor.
The Serato as some kind of club standard is USA only. The rest of the world is just decks,CDJs and mixer. DJs bring their own soundcards, midi controllers, whatever.
The only best software is the one that serves you best. Each one is "better" in their own way, you have to find out what you need,want.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 pm

maybe you should take ms.pinky into consideration as well....

eandersonase

Post by eandersonase » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:34 pm

you should go with serato since they are coming out with the bridge
A MIC and the STAGE

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 pm

#1thelark wrote:maybe you should take ms.pinky into consideration as well....
+1

rompling

Post by rompling » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:40 pm

+ 1 But IMO and experience traktor pro scratch is as tight with vinyl control as serato .And this industry standard thing might be true for hip hop dj`s but everyone I have seen recentely its Trakor though like other people have said might be worth waiting to see how the bridge abelton thing works out - from the videos I have seen - nothing special my opinon
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 pm

rompling wrote:

+ 1 But IMO and experience traktor pro scratch is as tight with vinyl control as serato .And this industry standard thing might be true for hip hop dj`s but everyone I have seen recentely its Trakor though like other people have said might be worth waiting to see how the bridge abelton thing works out - from the videos I have seen - nothing special my opinon
The nice thing about Traktor is you can use encoded media with the Scratch edition but you don't have to. I don't even know if you can use Serato without turntables or decks but even if you can there's not much exciting you can do with Serato in comparison to Traktor. I also don't find anything exciting about The Bridge. Might be exciting for people who already use Serato and Live but certainly doesn't inspire me to get Serato.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

It's hard to try out Serato bcs it will only allow you access to one deck if you don't have any Serato Hardware connected (at least that's what happened to me)...so I couldn't tell how much I liked all the features, etc....with Traktor they give you a fully functional demo that times out every 30 mins.