how big an impostor are you?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mikemc

how big an impostor are you?

Post by mikemc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm a fairly big impostor in some respects: I have a day job, I don't market myself heavily or pay someone else to, I don't play out very often, I am old enough to be Lady Gaga's father, I don't know as much as a lot of people on this forum, and I don't frequent clubs or music venues.

On the other hand, I'm the real deal: I can play at least one instrument and improvise on it, I can sing fairly well, I have played out some, I spend hours each week on my music, I know more than some people on this forum, I create original tracks and I have even sold some.

So on a scale from 1 to 10, where 10 is, say, Imogen Heap I am maybe a... what,, a four? A six? A six would be maybe generous, but a five is too wishy washy. ([edit] one is, I dunno, a failed Idol auditioner that is not outrageous enough to be featured)

How big an impostor are you, then?
Last edited by mikemc on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

UKRuss

Re: how big an impostor are you?

Post by UKRuss » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:28 pm

I am one half of Daft Punk (along with Timothy Allan) so my name isn't Russ and in that sense, I impost.

Srsly though, no I don't see myself as an impostor, I am a hobbyist, I think it'll stay that way so I am a genuine hobbyist.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:48 pm

^ this is a worthy reply. I cannot claim the same, because calling it a hobby makes it seem as if there is no possibility of making money at it, then my wife won't let me do it.

So I have to declare "semi pro". :wink:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:31 pm

if you're 4 I'm 3ish..

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Imogen is an 11.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:00 pm

^ I stand corrected. :wink:

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 pm

how does anyone know how big of an impostor they are?
we all can spot them but who would actually admit to it.

going from the template you gave to judge yourself.

i am old enough to be lady gaga's older brother im 29 (although i feel she is an impostor and is lying about her age.. i wouldn't be surprised to find out she is actually older than me)

i started out playing a real instrument and now play 3 instruments

i consider myself to be a hobbyist musician/singer songwriter, that likes to record his music and aims for high quality demo rather than, a full blown ready to be distributed album.

i get very confused about punctuation, very often placing comma's where they don't belong.

i dont really like a lot of purely electronic music (with the exception of dub techno).. i do love most styles of rock (mostly post punk/ post rock and new wave).
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:24 pm

nathannn wrote: i get very confused about punctuation, very often placing comma's where they don't belong.
Ah, well that settles it: you're an impostrophe *bademp Tisssh*

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm into it, I'm just not "living it." I'm into Live, into DJing, into making new music, into playing bass. When I was younger (in regards to playing in bands) I was "living it," meaning that there was nothing else on the planet that came close to music. There was no career path that I could possibly dedicate myself to other than music. Working the shittiest shit jobs was not an issue because being a musician was the only priority in life.

Now I'm pretty into writing and web technology, I like my non-musician job (for the most part), and I like doing other things like spending time with my family, etc. I mean, I was into hanging out with my family when I was younger, but the whole time I was enjoying their company the back of my mind was racing thinking about making records and touring.

That said, I would put myself at a 6. I'm still making new music, just not every week. But lately I've been making efforts to start an Ableton aided live band. I just haven't been bending over backwards to make it happen.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 pm

If we're scaling it from 1 to 10, then I think the thread title contradicts it. 10 would make you the biggest impostor.

So, maybe how "legit" are you would be more fitting?

And "legit" is a very funny word. You could get through life without ever properly learning an instrument and/or theory and still be very serious about your dedication to music, sound, etc. Even more so than someone who was classically trained since they were 5 and could give 3 shits about having a career in the field.

It's a very, very relative thing. Can't really put a scale on it IMO

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:52 am

how bad on a scale of 1 to 10 do I hate the thoughts and the concept of, or pertaining to -though not explicitly stating a need for- "validation" in regards to my work, be them from society or my own moments of self reflection? with ten being the most hatred...

no answer because I cant say with any certainty who or what I am or what I'm doing. :idea:

:roll: I'm being dumb

Enjoy the ride

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:00 am

aqua_tek wrote: So, maybe how "legit" are you would be more fitting?
I'm too legit to quit. 8)

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:09 am

^should have said that :D

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 am

q.musgrove wrote:^should have said that :D
it is something of an exercise in loungebaiting, to be sure :)

derzai

Post by derzai » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

1 and 10 at the same time. Its wonderfull to be a schizo.