how big an impostor are you?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
bosonHavoc

Re: how big an impostor are you?

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:32 pm

hmm well i'm poor, hungry, i don't have a car (but my girlie does)
i've lost countless jobs so i can play music, i'm poor cause i only want to work 10 hours a week so i can play music, i'm engaged to my singer, every time i have a nice wad of cash i spend it on gear, with in 5 feet of me is a mpd32, mpd24, korg triton, hammond organ (broken), dk10, upright bass, box tape, a staple gun, old fliers, old gear, records, 4-track tapes, mics.... and other things musical ..i don't want to list it all..
i have broken a large number of chairs..
i do design, promotions, teach ableton for tips, produce, write, record, mix, perform, i paper the town with fliers, i pixel the net with fliers, i have played shows for 1 person, i lost countless instruments to the pawn shop, i have purchased countless gear from a pawn shop, i have been jobless, homeless, my practice space had been robbed (loong time ago), i've crashed in my practice space, i've been in bands with junkies, loosers, drama queens, alcoholics, lazy people, you name it... and
i have passed out in a closet hugging a bottle of Jameson and my electric bass
i love playing, performing and writing music..
i will do it until the day i die
i will keep trying to make music my primary source of income
until the day i die
and then after that
i will come write back and do it again
and again..
and again..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:41 pm

abort wrote::D I hope you know that I am joking.

Thinking that most here are extremely creative and that music might be the closets match or possibly the fastest route to creative elevation.
audio is the highest (if not 'purest')form of art imo...
you can't ignore good music..
and as an artist.. you shouldn't ..
you should aspire to get inspired!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:42 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:hmm well i'm poor, hungry, i don't have a car (but my girlie does)
i've lost countless jobs so i can play music, i'm poor cause i only want to work 10 hours a week so i can play music, i'm engaged to my singer, every time i have a nice wad of cash i spend it on gear, with in 5 feet of me is a mpd32, mpd24, korg triton, hammond organ (broken), dk10, upright bass, box tape, a staple gun, old fliers, old gear, records, 4-track tapes, mics.... and other things musical ..i don't want to list it all..
i have broken a large number of chairs..
i do design, promotions, teach ableton for tips, produce, write, record, mix, perform, i paper the town with fliers, i pixel the net with fliers, i have played shows for 1 person, i lost countless instruments to the pawn shop, i have purchased countless gear from a pawn shop, i have been jobless, homeless, my practice space had been robbed (loong time ago), i've crashed in my practice space, i've been in bands with junkies, loosers, drama queens, alcoholics, lazy people, you name it... and
i have passed out in a closet hugging a bottle of Jameson and my electric bass
i love playing, performing and writing music..
i will do it until the day i die
i will keep trying to make music my primary source of income
until the day i die
and then after that
i will come write back and do it again
and again..
and again..
respect. i love people like you.
*** Image GAFM ***

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:46 pm

hehe thanks

o ya and i forgot this

http://music.luxdivon.com/album/i-am-that-i-am

:P :P :mrgreen:

ok posting this feels a little dirty

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:53 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:hehe thanks

o ya and i forgot this

na, i don't think it's dirty, selling music is all but dirty, 'selling knowledge' for money without actually really having experience and knowledge is dirty for example, not selling music.

i listened, but it's so not my cup of tea. especially the vocals, it's a pure matter of taste i am talking about here!
*** Image GAFM ***

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 pm

lol right..
and no worries man
if people didn't have different tastes life would be bland

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:02 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:lol right..
and no worries man
if people didn't have different tastes life would be bland
yep. :D
*** Image GAFM ***

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:40 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:hmm well i'm poor, hungry, i don't have a car (but my girlie does..

Impressive: if you've ever pushed it anywhere because you ran out of gas and/or needed a jump, and/or peed into the radiator because it overheated, we may be looking at a 10 :-)
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Imogen Heap is an imposter, now :?: Seriously, she's at the complete opposite end of the scale; I see her as possibly the
most genuine artist out there at the moment. As for myself, I don't see myself as an imposter - I just try to make some
decent choons while thoroughly enjoying the process. The day I'm up there on a stage, though, you're gonna see some proper
imposting. I'm talking unplugged MIDI controllers. (That's a 10)
mikemc wrote:
So on a scale from 1 to 10, where 10 is, say, Imogen Heap I am maybe a... what,, a four? A six? A six would be maybe generous, but a five is too wishy washy. ([edit] one is, I dunno, a failed Idol auditioner that is not outrageous enough to be featured)

How big an impostor are you, then?

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:15 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:hehe thanks

o ya and i forgot this

I dig your style! Kind of a doors meets dub thing. Your vocalist has a nice dreamy / dirty voice. Sunday Drive was my favorite.

Peace!

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:12 pm

sporkles wrote:Imogen Heap is an imposter, now :?: Seriously, she's at the complete opposite end of the scale; I see her as possibly the
most genuine artist out there at the moment. As for myself, I don't see myself as an imposter - I just try to make some
decent choons while thoroughly enjoying the process. The day I'm up there on a stage, though, you're gonna see some proper
imposting. I'm talking unplugged MIDI controllers. (That's a 10)
mikemc wrote:
So on a scale from 1 to 10, where 10 is, say, Imogen Heap I am maybe a... what,, a four? A six? A six would be maybe generous, but a five is too wishy washy. ([edit] one is, I dunno, a failed Idol auditioner that is not outrageous enough to be featured)

How big an impostor are you, then?
:roll: Yes, :wink: as originally stated the scale is inverted and it is counterintuitive, in part because to say Imogene Heap is a zero is unintentionally damning in a different way, but mostly because as a pollster I am an impostor.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:40 pm

You have to be an imposter to get anywhere at all in music (or life for that matter) for as long as it takes to not need to be one anymore - and when that happens - just think up bigger bullshitt and start prentending to be that until you dont need to anymore (or get caught).

If you aint an imposter - then you aint marketting yourself at all - the world is soo full of bullshit that if you are acually genuinely the real deal, you still have to way oversell yourself just to keep up with the dood with the fancy bio etc. We all think that if your music is any good, I will attract its own fan base - it wont, at least not in your lifetime.

But spam the whole planet with bios that claim to be the next upcomming big thing and maybe you will get somewhere. Acually being able to play/write/produce music that anyone actually likes when sobre etc is way way down the list of essential skills and assets :)
Nothing to see here - move along!