Blog or Website for showcasing work?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
smartabletonuser

Blog or Website for showcasing work?

Post by smartabletonuser » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 pm

Which format do you think is better for artists showcasing their work?

I only have updates like once every 1-2 months so I'm not constantly 'blogging'. I am also adequately skilled in graphic design, CSS and HTML so creating a customized blog or website from scratch is not a problem.

I like the ability of fans/critics to subscribe to a blog and post comments (not to mention the 'viral' abilities of a blog - however I'm afraid many people will be disappointed by my infrequent activity. Blogs are also ranked much higher in Google's indexing. On the other hand, I like the ability to have 100% control over the layout of my site and most blogging platforms have limited flexibility.

Any thoughts? thnx

Hidden Driveways

Re: Blog or Website for showcasing work?

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:25 pm

The beauty of RSS feeds is that even if you don't post that often, when you do make a post your subscribers will know about it instantly. I hear ya though, with a blog there is a sort of built-in pressure to post a lot. It all depends on how you look at it.

If your CSS skills are strong, you can bend some Wordpress themes any way you like. I was using this one theme (I forget the name - sorry) that was designed to be an HTML backbone that designers could built out to their liking. My CSS skills blow, so I didn't stick with that theme.

To me it sounds like you already know you have to use a blog, and you're just posting about your concerns.

The user named Fatrabbit may have some thoughts on this subject.