Boss effects as plug-ins?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tw1nstates

Re: Boss effects as plug-ins?

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:26 am

Sound toys for Boss Chorus?
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 am

leedsquietman wrote: I think GR excels at clean tones and it's piezo acoustic simulations rule IMHO.
Plus one, and with the routine options and tools? GR rocks the clean sound world.

Unfortunately the distortion choices are practically unusable.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 pm

kvitamin wrote:Yah Amplitube rocks, too bad it is practically useless with ableton. It will crash the program everytime you use it.
Yeah, like Sampletank.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm

UKRuss wrote:
leedsquietman wrote: I think GR excels at clean tones and it's piezo acoustic simulations rule IMHO.
Plus one, and with the routine options and tools? GR rocks the clean sound world.

Unfortunately the distortion choices are practically unusable.
What do you use for distorted guitars then?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm

I struggle along with GR4 at the moment.

slirak

Post by slirak » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:01 pm

kvitamin wrote:Yah Amplitube rocks, too bad it is practically useless with ableton. It will crash the program everytime you use it.
I use it all the time with no crashes. Really. It's in my default template even. OS X 10.5.8, Live Suite 8.1.1. Worked with previous L8 (and L7) versions too. I use the AU version and the X-gear wrapper.

Actually, I find the standalone version to be less stable than the AU version in Live!

Edit:
I just realised that I used it with my old PC too, so apparently it worked for me as a VST under XP back then. I honestly can't remember it ever crashing in Live. (I've had lots of crashes with L8! Just not Amplitube-related.)
L8.1.4 Suite, MBP Unibody 2.4 GHZ 4GB OS X 10.6.4, Apogee One, Akai LPK25, Novation Nocturn, Korg Legacy w/MS20i controller, ComboSister, Moog Modular V, Oddity, Amplitube, T-Racks, CSR, Roland TD-12, guitars and basses and whatever...

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Jay, you may be in luck with the upcoming AMPLITUBE 3 coming out...
"All the masterpiece vintage and modern stomp models from Boss®, Electro Harmonix®, Ibanez®, Vox®, Arbiter®, MXR®, Digitech®, Roland®, and Marshall® are represented, plus some rare pearls including models based on the extremely hard to find Univibe™, Maestro®, Mossrite™, Roger Mayer™, and ProCo® stompboxes. "
Last edited by shimmy on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks, that looks awesome!!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:39 pm

I mostly record distortion by micing up an amp set to overdrive with a Shure SM57.

Failing this, I use Guitar Rig and usually have to do a lot of messing around to get it sounding OK, more EQing, compression, messing with pan settings etc than a man ought to have to to get it to sit right.

BTW - the Amplitube are (mostly unlicensed) SIMULATIONS of those pedals. I mean Guitar Rig models most of those already but calls them under different names (often not very subtle, such as 'The Kat' being an emulation of 'The Rat' stompbox popular in the 80s.)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

kvitamin

Post by kvitamin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:00 pm

yah, I updated to 8, saved too many of my projects in it to go back to 7 and now amplitube crashes everytime i use it. I posted crashlogs when I was using beta versions, and asked IK Multimedia but never got any answers. If anyone is running it smoothly in 8 I would be curious to see what your setup is like.

slirak

Post by slirak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 pm

kvitamin wrote:yah, I updated to 8, saved too many of my projects in it to go back to 7 and now amplitube crashes everytime i use it. I posted crashlogs when I was using beta versions, and asked IK Multimedia but never got any answers. If anyone is running it smoothly in 8 I would be curious to see what your setup is like.
See my reply to you a couple of posts up (including the sig). Has worked in all 8.1.2 betas too, so far. Haven't really tried it with 8.1.2.b5 yet.

zalo

Post by zalo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 am

the external plugin sounds like the best bet, using the actual pedals

i have been thinking about pulling my sansamp rbi out of my bass rig and putting it in the synth rig to run things through it

this thread has solidified that decision for me

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Amplitube is better than Guitar Rig.

and I use it all the time in Ableton without it crashing.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:42 pm

am wrote:if you have the actual pedals still...

why don't you create an external audio effect, and use the real thing!
This is why I have this thing on my 2010 audio gear budget:

http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm

Use a line out from my interface into the X-Amp, the X-Amp outputs the signal into the guitar pedal at Hi-Z level, plug the output of the guitar pedal either into the Hi-Z instrument input on my interface, or into a guitar amp with a microphone on it. Wa-laa.

Plug ins are cool, but this is pretty rad too.

napalmbrain

Post by napalmbrain » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:47 pm

ohh...I'd love some BOSS stomp box plug-ins...