The Automap 3 Mixer Control petition for Live 8

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Jimbabwae

Re: The Automap 3 Mixer Control petition for Live 8

Post by Jimbabwae » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 am

+1

I have an remote SL MKii.. Please make Ableton Live work 'proper' with Automap!

It's it's current semi integrated state it's very frustrating!!!!

Ta

madlab

Post by madlab » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm afraid that automap support for live is dead with the launchpad, which to my surprise doesn't use automap to communicate with Live. Could we have a word from ableton about this ?
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

Jimbabwae

Post by Jimbabwae » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:11 pm

madlab wrote:I'm afraid that automap support for live is dead with the launchpad, which to my surprise doesn't use automap to communicate with Live. Could we have a word from ableton about this ?
Have you seen the Novation beta site?

http://beta.novationmusic.com/

The recent Automap 3.4b2 apparently.. "Fixed issue with connecting the Launchpad with Automap HUI mapping".

I don't own a Launchpad but if this does what it says on the tin..

Good luck!

MessyMass

Post by MessyMass » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:07 pm

I just bought the 25 SL MkII and I am very suprised that automap for mixer controls is not featured in Live - its the only DAW out there which is laggin behind... What gives Ableton?

MessyMass

Post by MessyMass » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Heya guys!!

Good news... I just talked with the guys at Novation tech support and they say that they will release an official automap template for use with the Zero MkII and 25 SL MkII within the next couple of weeks.

---
Email said:
Just to let you know there is going to be an Automap Live template in the next few weeks however we are waiting on Ableton for their latest update.

Hope this clears up any issues with you.

-----
Good riddance ;) Mads

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:28 pm

MessyMass wrote:Heya guys!!

Good news... I just talked with the guys at Novation tech support and they say that they will release an official automap template for use with the Zero MkII and 25 SL MkII within the next couple of weeks.

---
Email said:
Just to let you know there is going to be an Automap Live template in the next few weeks however we are waiting on Ableton for their latest update.

Hope this clears up any issues with you.

-----
Good riddance ;) Mads

ah yes,finally!!!!

thanks!

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 am

Awwwwww :-(

So lots of ZeRO SL MkII owners like myself get home thinking "ableton COMES with the ZeRO SL!!! It must be MADE for ableton!"

...Only to then find out....

There's 2 ways to control ableton with this unit and both are semi-complete...

I'm not going to repeat what's already been said - but WAS there an update released that allows us to "Properly" automap with live now?

I'm actually using a store's demo-model SL MkII until my unit gets delivered - I might cancel my order if everyone's STILL waiting on an update?

+1 for Live to be an automap client!!!
Using Ableton for Composing/Remixing/DJing
Macbook 2.26GHz/8GB/500GB/7200rpm/OSX Lion
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad
Reloop 10tion - Behringer Truth 1030A's - Sennheiser HD280's
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 - Automap Pro 3.7
http://soundcloud.com/jbainesy

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:09 am

That's very unrealistic, unfortunately.

Market preys on such assumptions. If you look back at the presentations of Nocturn, Live is used to demo - not, say Cubase, whose mixer works well with Nocturn. But the demonstrator focused our attention on VST, rather than AL's mixer. So they did not lie, they just fucked with the users.

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Doesn't seem like it'd be a hard job to do...

I think a similar thing could be acheived by novation ALLOWING us to select some controlls to be "global" and some to be "assignable", the globals could stay the same regardless of weather you're in automap/advanced mode and remain the same when changing pages etc.

This way if you want constant control of your volume and mutes (for example) you set them as global and away you go controlling plugins and live devices with the rest of the SL MkII...

Still, mixer control seems the way novation was thinking originally, really is a pity that no one with the know-how has made these two products fully compatible...

Do people from Ableton read these threads? like, are we working toward an answer here, even if it is "bugger off - your controller will be obselete soon anyway"??? or it's really just turned into a 'vent' thread?
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:56 am

oh man - THIS sucks...

So I finally get my head around how to use the features of automap and want to record my work (live recording) WITH automation...

No hope........

Automapped plugins DO NOT record automation, since automap doesn't send midi messages to live, it just kinda moves the controls like they're on puppet strings. Since Live doesn't see any midi, live doesn't record any automation... A whole set recorded and none of my filters, LFO's etc. etc. change, they just remain on whatever they're set to at the end of the set for the WHOLE export.

I realise this thread is about a different issue, but I think this also should be addressed at the same time! Automation should be recorded weather by midi, mouse or automap - the movements of the controllers should be recorded right?

I'm assuming from the non-reply from ableton that they do not read these. Best we send them a heap of emails yes?

I'll be sending one tonight - I was spewing reading MORE threads of how automap is not supported by live :-(
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm

I have just received a Novation's email advertisement titled: "full integration with ableton, logic 9 and pro tools"

Here's the content:

"Nocturn Keyboard and SL MkII now work seamlessly with Logic 9 and Pro Tools. You can control all Logic and Pro Tools' own plug-ins, as well as third-party plug-ins (Native Instruments, Waves, etc.) You also have full transport and mixer control."

Somehow, in the message they fail to mention Ableton again.

The old story continues LOL

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 am

worth emailing them about though, they do mention Live 8...

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 am

Bainesy wrote:oh man - THIS sucks...

Automapped plugins DO NOT record automation, since automap doesn't send midi messages to live, it just kinda moves the controls like they're on puppet strings. Since Live doesn't see any midi, live doesn't record any automation... A whole set recorded and none of my filters, LFO's etc. etc. change, they just remain on whatever they're set to at the end of the set for the WHOLE export.

(
Novation is not the one to blame on this one.
reading your post,i assume you use a version of Live 8,which has the new "configure" button to map plugin parameters.
you first have to configure the controls of a plugin in Live,and then save that as a rack if you want that as a default mapping all the time.
after that,you should create the automaps for the plugins.
once you've done all of that(and probably have watered down your creativity in that process),everything you tweak with automap gets recorded.

it's a PITA the way it works in Live 8,they should make the "configure" mode an OPTION in live's preferences.
this is why i went back to Live 7,because it killed my workflow with automap and N.I's Kore 2.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 pm

you're referring to vst automap. Yes, configure should be optional, or even better all should be by default preset exactly as it was in L7, with a option to configure and to apply to all future instances of the vst.

but the thread concerns automap of live mixer. there are no changes from live 7 to 8 that would justify navation's abandoning support for live mixer, especially in a implicite way.

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks tetragammon, I AM a 'fairly new' live user, so i've only seen 8.0 onwards. I'll look for this configure button and at least I can use this workaround for now to put automation on a few of my tracks ;-)

Cheers!

Really I think it's obvious the mixer problem is a live thing NOT a novation thing...

Novation got it to work with a lot of other DAW's and they do try hard to support live with their hardware, making a preset to interface with it sounds like it was something they were FORCED to do because lives mixer doesn't like to be controlled in the same way as the "average" DAW mixer.

If there were a lot of other programs requiring an advanced preset for mixer control I'd say it's novation, but since the rest seem to work fine, can't really say "novation need to change"...

Well, I did email them both... let's see what's said ;-)
If others would seriously take the time, I think more will get done the more we tell them!
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad