being accused of not being a "real DJ" with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Trypset

Re: being accused of not being a "real DJ" with Ableton

Post by Trypset » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:22 am

dude, that video is sick. Mad skills there.

My comments were meant mainly towards people who mix 2 or 3 songs on Ableton, what you are doing definately deserves respect!
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:32 am

Trypset wrote:dude, that video is sick. Mad skills there.

My comments were meant mainly towards people who mix 2 or 3 songs on Ableton, what you are doing definately deserves respect!
really appreciate that Trypset thanks!

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:57 am

fo sho, give respect where spect deserved. Don't even feel bad about linking that vid anywhere and everywhere.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:13 am

I know exactly what your saying trypset, but i would bet that most of those "laptop haters" arnt exactly the best of djs to say the least, and need to hate and belittle others to keep themselves happy (or so they believe).

Vinyl is awesome.
cdjs are awesome.

ableton is sooooooooooooo AWESOME!!!!! you can bring in how man clips you want, sample, loop, effects.. really i could go on.

i also got into traktor this past week 8)

vid is sick

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:46 am

The irony here is the huge hole in my setup: not being able to properly scrub, rewind and scratch in Ableton. It absolutely kills me the lengths I need to go to to get that kind of control when using Live. The rewind effect you hear toward the end of my vid is an example of this. I have three loopers on both "decks" set-up so that I can cover all bases in terms of a rewind/backspin, and a whole lot of MIDI assignments to ensure it works right. On CDJs and vinyl, a simple spin of the wheel does the trick! It really sucks the fun out of it I must say.

But for doing all that future fancy shmancyness, Ableton is just amazing.

I pray to the Ableton gods to give me a high resolution control wheel with direct drive and the ability to scrub my ABLETON CLIPS every night!! oh and under 10lbs please Ableton gods? Thanks!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:15 am

oratowsky wrote:"oh, so you're not really djing then?" I ask him what he means by that and he says "real DJs don't use Ableton, mate."
Technically he's right, Disk Jockeys use Disks (and no I don't think hard drive disks count). I mean a baseball player isn't a DJ either, cause he doesn't use disks.

He was probably just an angry drunk fucker being a prick for fun. Don't sweat it.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:17 am

Heh. As a producer/performer I do this onstage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9LqyBguFFE

And yet countless people STILL call me a DJ. It's an insult...but on the opposite end of how Johnisfaster is being insulted.

The moral is: the crowd is just dumb as a post...they don't understand what we are doing...just give up. I don't even correct people anymore when they call me a DJ. It's been a relief...
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

mrsakitumi

Post by mrsakitumi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
oratowsky wrote:"oh, so you're not really djing then?" I ask him what he means by that and he says "real DJs don't use Ableton, mate."
Technically he's right, Disk Jockeys use Disks (and no I don't think hard drive disks count). I mean a baseball player isn't a DJ either, cause he doesn't use disks.

He was probably just an angry drunk fucker being a prick for fun. Don't sweat it.
what about a discus thrower? he uses disks. :lol:
...and it's mr sakitumi (too late to change profile name)...damn
LIVE, DS lite, a tambourine, tape recorder.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.facebook.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.youtube.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.twitter.com/mrsakitumi

Post by 4.33 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am

Trypset wrote:
4.33 wrote:
Trypset wrote:. When I see DJ so and so on a flyer, they better be mixing off decks, or I will be dissapointed.
what's the bloody difference?
in both cases you just put on other people tunes, be it from your record bag or your hard drive.
what's so sacred about riding the pitch fader?
utter fucking bollocks
dude come on, playing warped tracks that are pre-arranged that you made in a cafe requires way less effort and skill than beatmatching records. But if that is your perspective there is no convincing you. The difference is so huge that there is no point for me to continue my argument. What's sacred to me about riding the pitch fader is that there is always the possibility of fucking up the mix. When everything is aligned on a grid that possibility is slim to none. The outcome most definately will be close to the same no matter what medium, but that is not the point I was even trying to make.

You can't deny that fluid beatmatching in a loud as hell club with shitty or no monitors is comparable to launching pre-warped clips. Or maybe you can who knows.

I am not for one side or another as I get booked to play wax and DJ, err mix, off ableton, they are seperate sets that sound totally different. I was merely trying to help the OP understand why he might be getting such comments, but maybe he already knew why and wanted to make a thread to get others opinions.
if the set is prearranged then indeed you are a human winamp
but if you follow the vibe building up the set as you go - which that's what djing is all about - then it's no different from the usual tt djing
it might be easier technically (and on your back) but ultimately you get so much more creative opportunities

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:17 am

Soon its the other way around.. I guarantee it!
"HA! You use vinyl..? Looser! Thats not dj'ing. Real djs use ableton dude"

jace_(nz)

Post by jace_(nz) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:35 am

This Does seem to Be a Problem Of ignorance that more so happens in the USA or at least that is where most of the stories i here emulate from, and only maybe Becuase of the population numbers making it more inevitable that you will get some lame Comments.
I have had this discuission many times over with poeple from the Uk and most seem Quite Open to ableton and few that Dont, do soon after you explain what goes into using ableton. But that can be a big if, if you are the kind of person that uses ableton for and easy ride after you have pains-takenly warped your tracks, Or you are the kind of person who takes it as far as you can. without me going into it we all know what able is capable off. I have been a dj since back in the mid 80's, and i bypassed cd's For my love of ableton from version 4, so as others have mentioned dont take it too heart and experiment and be as hands on as you can when you play out.

All the best.

crofter

Post by crofter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:42 am

It's a bit fucking rich when people who play records for a living look down on others that probably have more creative input.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:45 am

jace_(nz) wrote:This Does seem to Be a Problem Of ignorance that more so happens in the USA or at least that is where most of the stories i here emulate from, and only maybe Becuase of the population numbers making it more inevitable that you will get some lame Comments.
I have had this discuission many times over with poeple from the Uk and most seem Quite Open to ableton and few that Dont, do soon after you explain what goes into using ableton. But that can be a big if, if you are the kind of person that uses ableton for and easy ride after you have pains-takenly warped your tracks, Or you are the kind of person who takes it as far as you can. without me going into it we all know what able is capable off. I have been a dj since back in the mid 80's, and i bypassed cd's For my love of ableton from version 4, so as others have mentioned dont take it too heart and experiment and be as hands on as you can when you play out.

All the best.
great post, being hands on and having muiltiple controllers that you tweak helps alot with people giving you a hard time. Threads like "who has actually checked their e-mail while performing" kind of go in favor of the haters but the moral is still.....don't sweat it. Keep doing your thang thang.
TrypseT

jace_(nz)

Post by jace_(nz) » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 am

From A dj point of View, he needs a good traditional looking Piece of hardware or one better, i know it takes money, it was not easy for me, but eventually i Got my Vestax Vcm 600 and in conjuntion with my korg pad control i cant see myself getting such comments, and it gives me so much more to do, that will be reflected by what hardware he uses as you say.
Trypset wrote:
jace_(nz) wrote:This Does seem to Be a Problem Of ignorance that more so happens in the USA or at least that is where most of the stories i here emulate from, and only maybe Becuase of the population numbers making it more inevitable that you will get some lame Comments.

All the best.
great post, being hands on and having muiltiple controllers that you tweak helps alot with people giving you a hard time. Threads like "who has actually checked their e-mail while performing" kind of go in favor of the haters but the moral is still.....don't sweat it. Keep doing your thang thang.

d-track

Post by d-track » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:34 am

deleted
Last edited by d-track on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.