Crashes... It's such a shame.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leedsquietman

Re: Crashes... It's such a shame.

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:53 am

http://www.ableton.com/latest_versions

you can download the last version of Live (7.0.18 which has APC40 compatibility) and Live Suite 7.0.18 here if you have a license to do so.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 am

oldbetseysatan wrote:I hate that feeling. And it makes me sad to not have confidence in this software.

Oh well. I guess the forums don't need another moan but having just sat through my 3rd spinning ball and losing a synth I'd spent the last 20 minutes mangling, well...

I know. Save. Save. Save. But I'm even getting crashes when saving sometimes too.

Sigh.

R.
more crashes happen for me when using collect all and save. From memory i think i have never had a freeze with just save in version 8

best
J :)

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 am

leedsquietman wrote:http://www.ableton.com/latest_versions

you can download the last version of Live (7.0.18 which has APC40 compatibility) and Live Suite 7.0.18 here if you have a license to do so.

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 pm

julienb wrote:sorry to spam here but, in order to be fair with ableton too, I have to add:
NO crashed here with 8.1.1, max for live and max 5.1.3 !
NO crash during 4hours sessions...
with VST, with a big interface patch with around 100 live.remote~ , JS etc...
I don't think it's spam at all.

You're just letting people know that not everyone has problems. I do the same thing when I see others having difficulties and I'm sailing smoothly. The good/bad needs to be balanced whenever possible.

R.
A 'live' musician struggling with technology...

10.5.8, Pro Tools 8.0, Logic 9.0.2, Reason 3.05, Live 8.0.9.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:09 pm

jamief wrote: more crashes happen for me when using collect all and save. From memory i think i have never had a freeze with just save in version 8

best
J :)
I'm wouldn't say it's a constant repeatable crash (thankfully) but now that I've gotten into the habit of CMD+S every few minutes (something I got VERY familiar with using Logic) I have had at least 3 spinning balls on Save.

Again it's just a confidence-thing. I hate having even the slightest worry/second-thought that Live my crash on me doing such basic and essential processes.

R.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:32 pm

julienb wrote:
elxicano wrote:It really is a shame about the crashes. The only thing that has kept me sane is the letter on improving quality and the developers current commitment to releasing a solid 8.1.2 update.

I've been successful somewhat with 8.0.9 (although I see from your sig, this is the version you're working with), but not as successful as I'd like to be using Live.

Going back to 7 is one solution, but there are far too many improvements over 7 that I don't want to lose, so I'm just being patient as possible

if you read carefully: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137018, you'd read that this beta cycle isn't about the quality post of the CEO.
but indeed, it sucks. I agree.
I did read, over and over and I still haven't come to a conclusion about what they are, or are not including in the fix. Still, the current length involved in working 8.1.2 has been very pleasing for me to see, as all updates before this just seemed rushed and always seemed to cause as many problems as they fixed, so my expectation is that this next update does not add any issues... just fix things. As for what's not included, I still have feeling they're talking about the share option.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:23 pm

good luck
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:36 pm

The betas unfortunately seem to go up and down in terms of stability as well. Bugs get fixed and new crashes are introduced it seems like.

Last night I was dragging wavefiles into the arrange page just to listen to, no editing at all, and it was crashing on me every few minutes. Not even using devices, just bringing in wave files to listen to and moving them around to line them up (They were separate left and right files). I could barely even do that simple task of moving wavefiles around the arrange page. After 4 crashes over about 10 minutes, it just makes you nervous all the time to do anything. I don't normally work in the arrange page or do much audio editing in Live though and from my experience last night I'm glad I don't.

The quality announcement also keeps me sane. If it hadn't been for that, I would be quite conflicted with Live.
Professional Shark Jumper.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:08 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:The betas unfortunately seem to go up and down in terms of stability as well. Bugs get fixed and new crashes are introduced it seems like.

Last night I was dragging wavefiles into the arrange page just to listen to, no editing at all, and it was crashing on me every few minutes. Not even using devices, just bringing in wave files to listen to and moving them around to line them up (They were separate left and right files). I could barely even do that simple task of moving wavefiles around the arrange page. After 4 crashes over about 10 minutes, it just makes you nervous all the time to do anything. I don't normally work in the arrange page or do much audio editing in Live though and from my experience last night I'm glad I don't.

The quality announcement also keeps me sane. If it hadn't been for that, I would be quite conflicted with Live.
Agreed... it's what keeps me sane too!

I had just downloaded the Cubase 5 trial (they had just announced the availability of it) and I was going to give it a serious go before reading the quality announcement. It was a breath of fresh air, although none of us have seen the reality of the changes they spoke (other than a longer beta phase of the upcoming update).

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:56 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:The betas unfortunately seem to go up and down in terms of stability as well. Bugs get fixed and new crashes are introduced it seems like.

+1 !!!

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Damn it... So I've moved back to 7.0.18 for now but had an idea I wanted to throw down and forgot my quickkey still opens up 8.0.9

Thought 'what the hell, it's just a quick little sketch. take 5 minutes..." so I kept 8 open, loaded a couple of Simplers, programmed a quick beat, wanted to duplicate my drum rack channel, hit CMD+D... 04:30mins in and it crashes. 04:30? So close and yet so far

This is after I HAD to open an old session I started in 8 last night and had it crash within 10 minutes and swearing I wouldn't use 8 again. Why don't I ever listen?

(Add to that it just so laggy compared to 7 as well. Menus lag. Moving shit around lags...)

This is starting to make me angry now.

R.

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 pm

oldbetseysatan wrote:Damn it... So I've moved back to 7.0.18 for now but had an idea I wanted to throw down and forgot my quickkey still opens up 8.0.9

Thought 'what the hell, it's just a quick little sketch. take 5 minutes..." so I kept 8 open, loaded a couple of Simplers, programmed a quick beat, wanted to duplicate my drum rack channel, hit CMD+D... 04:30mins in and it crashes. 04:30? So close and yet so far

This is after I HAD to open an old session I started in 8 last night and had it crash within 10 minutes and swearing I wouldn't use 8 again. Why don't I ever listen?

(Add to that it just so laggy compared to 7 as well. Menus lag. Moving shit around lags...)

This is starting to make me angry now.

R.
even 8.1.1 doesn't work?
Julien Bayle

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:16 pm

julienb wrote: even 8.1.1 doesn't work?
To be honest, I wouldn't know.

After seeing how many problems people are having with 8.1 I didn't even bother trying it out.

8.0.9 was running my 'live' set-up fine (as untaxing as it was) so after the reports I had been seeing I didn't want to upset the apple cart by upgrading needlessly.

I know you've been sailing really smoothly so maybe I should give it a go?

R.

P.S. Actually... I'll download 8.1.1 now.

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:25 pm

oldbetseysatan wrote:
julienb wrote: even 8.1.1 doesn't work?
To be honest, I wouldn't know.

After seeing how many problems people are having with 8.1 I didn't even bother trying it out.

8.0.9 was running my 'live' set-up fine (as untaxing as it was) so after the reports I had been seeing I didn't want to upset the apple cart by upgrading needlessly.

I know you've been sailing really smoothly so maybe I should give it a go?

R.

P.S. Actually... I'll download 8.1.1 now.
indeed, it could be safer to keep with 8.0.9.
I confirm NO problem with 8.1.1 here since the beginning (using big m4L patch, around 25 tracks, midi+audio, VSTi..)
Julien Bayle