Beyond Live 8 what's next really?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Pasha

Beyond Live 8 what's next really?

Post by Pasha » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Assumptions:
Live 8 saga ends with a rock stable update.

Live 8 seems pretty complete with the Max4Live complement,
what could be next so great to push people to a new release?
(This is different from a wish list).
So you would buy next live release if....
At the moment I do not have any idea of what could be added so great
to be 1st reason to upgrade. Let's start a thread.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

aisling

Re: Beyond Live 8 what's next really?

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 pm

maybe some amp simulators for guitar/bass players.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 pm

stage view, to quickly set up an environment tailored to each ones specific live-performance needs. similar to what i use my lemur for now, but as it's more integrated, available for everyone, it would definitely get put to use by about anyone. even for songs you don't even think of playing live ever, you just map the knobs to stage view just for the fun of it.

and that should of course all work fine with multitouch and all, to be modern and hip. i'd get that update, definitely.

it would be a focus on "live" again.

i'm against introducing new instruments/effects. i think people who like certain music styles have enough choises with the vsts and vstis out there allready. live should concentrate on usability features. the stuff you can't get trough plugins (or max).

and a cleanup of the existing devices, deprecate them. examples:
combine all sort of delays to one, which combines their featureset, and thus extends it (and removes a lot of devices).
there was a discussion about doing the same with compressors, limiters, etc. could be done, but there aren't that much there.

and i'd like to have a (+) on the bottom part of live, be it a wave-display, or an effectrack display. with the (+) you expand it (similar to in arrangement view the automation lanes) to have space for another, unrelated view. that way, you could have more than one effect view at the same time, or f.e. both tracks viewable at the same time, when djing. or what ever you like.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:16 pm

I would immedeately think of the following stuff:

A comfortable way to switch presets of instrument racks, supporting midi program changes in a reasonable way.

A working library, probably browsable by keywords (as the garage-band or NI-libraries).

Multichannel/dolby surround on the masterchannel.

And some new plugs, as convolution reverb, amp sims, some midi-notation-arrangement plug like band-in-a-box.

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Being able to consolidate audio without having to stop everything.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Pasha wrote:FALSE Assumptions:
Live 8 saga ends with a rock stable update.

fxd.

8 will never be stable. Ground up rebuild of the entire program on deck for 9, lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 pm

64 bit

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:32 pm

64 bit which WORKS. (every other 64 bit daw app is going through teething troubles, especially with plugins).

*biggie* Proper session view automation with Live's own devices.

Otherwise *second biggie* Proper dual monitor support - Session one screen, arrangement second screen, as doable on Logic, Cubase etc. (well mixer screen and arrangement at least)

Multichannel audio support - this can help the live performance aspect, as well as studio projects.

greater file compatibility - i.e. OMF, sdII (for exporting to protools), broadcast .wav, and mp3 export.

And definately, some type of improved reverb, preferably a convolution model.

Not essential but desirable - better amp sims and a form of pitch correction tool like Cubase 5's variaudio.

Some of this might not be possible without a rebuild from the ground up. Methinks the ground up rebuild will be Live 10 though.

What not to do - more sample packs or licensing of virtual instruments.......
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:34 pm

*improved automation and stability*

that means way more expansive MIDI and OSC abilities
more extensive piano roll features (look at FLstudio)
midi program change support
beizer curves for clip and arrange view automation
midi event recording for clips
more access to the API for max/msp

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:38 am

Good points.
Sometimes more wishlists that compelling features but it's ok.
Let's try more....please...
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:38 am

honestly the biggest problems I have with Live 8 (apart from bugs) are the automation and the previewing system... when they are improved I will be very happy

it's actually already feeling pretty damn close for me really as it's very quick and inspiring to make music with.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:54 am

universal assignable key commands for all major functions.

Either detachable piano roll editor, or screensets that save multiple GUI settings, as in piano roll 3/4 screen etc.
^^This would be a major time saver, clicking and dragging the windows around constantly is Lives weak point compared to other DAWs.

MIDI sync issues cleared up.

Mostly UI issues that solve speed and ergonomic problems once you're comfortable with the program, the intuitive nature of just grabbing and dragging the windows around is cool when learning, but a PITA once you're getting deep in the program.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 am

All I REALLY want is even a bare-bones sample editor, so I can cut/paste/delete/trim within a sample without having to call up an external editor. Having only a crop function just doesn't cut it, no pun intended. I own Cubase 5 and it's just sad how superior it is in that department....especially now with VariAudio. But I don't really use Cubase all that much for main main projects, I like staying just within Live.

if they jump on the Amp Sim bandwagon I will be sorely disappointed. I mean really.

we also don't need any more instrument rack presets. Live 8 library did plenty enough there.

It's soooo close to full featured that the lack of real sample editing seems odd. sure it's got a huge leg up on the competition with the amazing clip envelopes, but sometimes I don't want to use clip envelopes as workarounds for sample-editing. I just want to cut the damn thing.

I thing the dumbest thing about other daws is that they just keep adding new crap that MOST people would rather have better versions of in 3rd party plug-in form (though again an exception in Cubase 5 is the Reverence convolution everb, I'm glad that's there now...). That kind of move is especially lame because it seems to target the less-pro, more-casual type folks, who maybe don't know about, say, a PSP Vintage Warmer or have any idea what WAVES or SONNOX makes.....anyway Live is amazing because MOST of it's functionality and toolset is based around original ideas (session view, clip envelopes, warping before warping was cool and still way beyond the competition even now that it is cool and nearly standard everywhere...)

oh and get Share to work....

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:33 am

I have to say I think I truly am at the end of my update path with Live. Live 8 delivers everything I need.

I can't think of anything I'm missing. This will be it for me. I have very few stability problems and crashes are so infrequent I can ignore them, I'm happy and will stay as I am.

8.09, APC40.

Done.

jamos

Post by jamos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 am

if it came with a free blowjob then it would be the perfect peice of software.