Shortcut for "Arm session recording" button

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ohrobot

Shortcut for "Arm session recording" button

Post by ohrobot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Is there a shortcut for the "Arm session recording" button?

I'd like to setup my wiimote to have complete control over all basic Live controls. The recording part is the missing piece. how can I set a clip to record without actually clicking on this button? .. or is there someting like auto-arm for selected tracks?

lll

Re: Shortcut for "Arm session recording" button

Post by lll » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 am

been looking for it too, as far as i know, you could keymap it yourself and make it a default live template.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 pm

I'm not sure I get the whole "key mapping" thing. Firstly what was it designed for? It doesn't support key combinations like Shift+A or whatever, it only supports simple single keys. Second, the fact that key mappings are saved as part of the Live set means it was designed as a live performance feature, maybe to toggle devices on and off or whatever.

So I ask, does anybody use key mappings beyond assigning a key to a Live function that should have but doesn't have a keyboard shortcut? As far as I'm concerned, this system is useless and it doesn't address the key problem which is that Live doesn't allow user-defined keyboard shortcuts, and many action neither have keyboard shortcuts nor can be assigned to a key anyway.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:08 am

Key mapping does support Shift/ctrl/alt (on mac at least) and that's actually a great (I should say essential) feature.
I couldn't imagine using Live without these, really!
As you can see from the scrollbar I can't even screenshot them entirely.

Also, if you're on mac you can add custom shortcuts from the System Preferences.
Ableton Forum Moderator

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:03 am

I know they recently updated the User Midi Remote Script to include 16 encoders.

Would be nice if it also added this button, as it is a key part of transport control and ‘instant’ stuff. Maybe it’s in there, I haven’t checked it out yet.

But yeah, if it was available in that, there’d be no need to ‘map’ stuff or save it in sets. It’d just automatically work.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:01 am

[jur] wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:08 am
Key mapping does support Shift/ctrl/alt (on mac at least) and that's actually a great (I should say essential) feature.
I couldn't imagine using Live without these, really!
As you can see from the scrollbar I can't even screenshot them entirely.

Also, if you're on mac you can add custom shortcuts from the System Preferences.
That's a solid list. I think people just wish we could store the custom commands in Live, so all Live sets you open use the same key command maps, instead of what would be the case for me if I copied your list, songs previously done before the template wouldn't have that list and newer commands won't work in older songs etc.

This and a command to open to full height the MIDI piano roll editor are my two long standing UX gripes with Live.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:01 am
, so all Live sets you open use the same key command maps, instead of what would be the case for me if I copied your list, songs previously done before the template wouldn't have that list and newer commands won't work in older songs etc.
Yep, that's the downside.
What I usually do with old sets is that I create a new one and drag'n'drop tracks from the old set, and save a new version.
Ableton Forum Moderator