Trick to remove empty clip slots?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
henrik_f

Trick to remove empty clip slots?

Post by henrik_f » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:42 am

I am exploring a creative process where I end up in Session view with hundreds of scenes, many of them empty, but with a few clips scattered all over.

I wonder if there is a simple (copy-paste?) way/trick to stack all the clips in a track in the top? In other words to remove all empty clip slots in a simpler way than manually deleting empty scenes or stacking by dragging with a mouse??

alex.the.forge

Re: Trick to remove empty clip slots?

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:50 am

cmd+shift+I is your friend... 'capture and insert scene'

get the ones you want playing together, select the top scene, then BAM!

henrik_f

Post by henrik_f » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:10 am

Nice command that sure will come in handy, thanks, but at this point I am simply trying to tidy up the session grid by stacking clips in the top of the individual tracks, instead of having, say, 10 clips randomly scattered over 500 scenes in each track. 8O

buzby

Post by buzby » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:34 pm

use shift and click to select all tracks
right click on the track title bar and from the drop down menu choose select track content
drag clips until the first set of clips reach the top

you ll have to do the process again and again when some of the samples reach the top and keep an eye that you are not dropping some of the clips on top of existing clips that you ve already moved up

you should be able to do the bulk of the moving like this and then a bit of manual dragging with the odd loose clip

there is no quick short cut for this and its still a bit of work if you have a lot of clips that you wanna do this with but the quickest way that i know
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

jonkuzma@comcast.net

Post by jonkuzma@comcast.net » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi..You could use this technique.. http://vimeo.com/8134150 ..You'll see what I mean..Jon

henrik_f

Post by henrik_f » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks that works :D nice!

I had actually already tried to drag the clips back in from the browser, but Live in that case remembers the empty spacings. The trick here - and what this guy does in the video - is to temporarily save clips selected within a track, e.g. all of them but not the complete track (heading) itself...

Thanks a lot to everyone who have chipped in