Favorite effects VST's?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
caaflex

Favorite effects VST's?

Post by caaflex » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 pm

looking to get some new effects VST's and wanted to see what you guys are using. Specifically i'm looking for a good beat repeat, but post whichever ones you find yourselves using the most.

cheap is good, free even better!

mholloway

Re: Favorite effects VST's?

Post by mholloway » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Well...for beat repeat, my favorite is, Beat Repeat!! Live's included FX are pretty great, I especially like BR and the Grain Delay is just insane, can't get enough of that one. I also think it's chorus has a really good sound to it, been using that more and more.

As for 3rd party, things I use regularly are ArtsAcoustic Reverb, usually on returns; Voxengo's Varisaturator and Max Punch (finally an affordable equivalent to Wave's MaxxBass!) and the free StereoTouch wind up all over the place in my mixes; I have Artillery and Effectrix and they are fun but a bit of "one trick pony's" though maybe I'm not pushing them hard enough or something; OhmForce Ohmicide for distortion; PSP of course for the amazing Nitro filter and excellent Lexicon delays (the PSP84 being my most used); and finally I've got the Uhbik bundle and I really like everything in there.

But hmm 3rd party beat-repeat type stuff? Not sure there....would be interested to hear what sort of names/info others can throw out there...

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

caaflex

Post by caaflex » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:11 pm

love the grain delay in live and the autofilter, but i'm not a big fan of the beat repeat tbh, which im sure u guessed since i posted this thread.

also right when i switch my delay on the sound cuts out a tiny bit before it starts delaying, not very fluid. ill record a sample and put it up after work, maybe im doing it wrong. i've just been using the dry/wet knob to make it less noticeable. but id rather have a delay that i can slam in and out of you know

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 am

camel phatt and camel space.. not free but cheap when you buy both..

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:00 am

Audio Damage's Replicant is even more useful than Beat Repeat ($49) and Dblue Glitch is also a good tool with beat repeat functionality, but the inbuilt Beat Repeat is good.

I don't like the sound of Live's chorus, Cubase's chorus and cloner plugins are much better and for $29 Audio Damage's Fluid is a beautiful analogue type chorus and Syntorus, the new D16 plugin is awesome.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:19 am

Another vote for CamelPhat and CamelSpace. Also can't live without Ohmboyz and The Glue.

dum

Post by dum » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:09 am

when it comes to FX I try not to have favourites...

but really, if you don't already own a copy Reaktor has to be the best value for money all-rounder out there. Synths,fx,sequencers - vst or stand-alone. No mac/xp only bullshit. A reaktor patch is truly multi-platform. And the sounds are quality.

oh shit, I must have blocked out the bit where you said FREE...heh. Reaktor ain't cheap, but if you see someone selling a license I'd look into it. It was on sale recently for $99 8O
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

caaflex

Post by caaflex » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:22 pm

dum wrote:when it comes to FX I try not to have favourites...

but really, if you don't already own a copy Reaktor has to be the best value for money all-rounder out there. Synths,fx,sequencers - vst or stand-alone. No mac/xp only bullshit. A reaktor patch is truly multi-platform. And the sounds are quality.

oh shit, I must have blocked out the bit where you said FREE...heh. Reaktor ain't cheap, but if you see someone selling a license I'd look into it. It was on sale recently for $99 8O
say wha? $99 for Reaktor is cheap! i agree it's a solid pack of software, but it's too much money for me right now, especially when i only want it for sound fx right now u know.

thanks for all the other suggestions. ill check out what u guys posted.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Check out KRVaudio.com and those boys will direct you to all the free stuff you could ever want but BE CAREFUL ABOUT STABILITY??
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:29 pm

VST: camel audio camelspace.

Ableton: compressor, pingpong delay, EQ3, limiter and some audio effect racks.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:23 pm

CList's BeatLookUp modified a wee bit. I added a Comb Filter, and a delay that cuts the signal and leaves the decay when triggered, plus a bit crusher. The sickest thing about BeatLookUp is the 2 FX sends. If you route them correctly in Ableton you have the "option" to send to other FX when mashing the built in FX. So you can make your JUMP 1 have some reverb, JUMP 2 maybe some delay, STUTTER maybe going to Ableton's BEAT REPEAT. You can get really creative with it. After getting everything just right I made a special midi clip that resets it to some default kind of behavior, as well as the ability to really mangle loops in the piano roll or with APC40 buttons.

One more thing, if you set the TEMPO to just barely move forward or backwards, and have the grain settings just so, it sounds super wicked, especially if you run a fat signal to it, like bass and drums. It sort of sounds like it's getting sucked out of the "MATRIX"

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:29 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Audio Damage's Replicant is even more useful than Beat Repeat ($49) and Dblue Glitch is also a good tool with beat repeat functionality, but the inbuilt Beat Repeat is good.

I don't like the sound of Live's chorus, Cubase's chorus and cloner plugins are much better and for $29 Audio Damage's Fluid is a beautiful analogue type chorus and Syntorus, the new D16 plugin is awesome.
I use Beat Repeat in a really specific way. I make a rack with macro controls and play it like drum fills, but it's easy to over do it. It's a very simple set up, based on the way Apparat has his BR set up in his AbleTen liveset, only with performance controls (his is on/off, mine's mix and grid etc.) Thank you Mr. Apparat. Combined with M4L devices this can get really cool (if careful).

I just downloaded Replicant. At first glance it's very cool for glitch or random madness. I don't know how "playable" it is, it seems like more of a "set it and forget it" thing. Based on the interface it appears it can be mapped for shaping what happens once triggered, but not to control when things happens (on the fly). Oh well, a really nice plugin for most people's uses. I think it's fun to cut up audio on the arrangement page for glitchy stuff, I write new stuff that way.