how can a midi track output data to multiple midi channels

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heavensdaw

Re: how can a midi track output data to multiple midi channels

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:20 pm

heavensdaw wrote:Question: Why would you not want to use multiple channels..? Is it purely to save on cpu power and less mapping nightmares?
Or am I missing something here?

Hd
Edit: I meant tracks not channels... :oops:

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Bit of a hack, but if you midi map controls on an effects rack to the correct CC and channel then the values and channel are echoed out to the midi outputs set to Remote On.
wow, that is a fun and crazy hack. not very easily reusable though.

@Heavensdaw, I'd like to do it so that I can send CCs to a midi device that accepts way more then 128 CCs and uses multiple channels to allow it to do that.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

ton

Post by ton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:58 am

bencodec wrote:Is is possible for lives midi tracks to handle multichannel midi?

I want to sent some CC's out to a machinedrum which means having to send them on separate midi channels.

anyway to do this without needing multiple midi tracks?
You can do this if you use for each midi channel a separate midi track in Live. So "without needing multiple midi tracks" it seems not to be possible to my knowledge.

If you would write your whole "midi recording problem description" in full detail here more ideas might be written. It is always good to think about problems and solutions first without any boundaries set by any software tools and later to check which parts of those "virtual solutions" are already fullfilled by that software, like here Live, and then trying to workaround the "missing parts of the solution" by "acceptable workarounds which do not destroy your workflow you prefer".

What I could understand a little so far is you want to
- record in real-time 32 midi tracks from a Machinedrum to Live and then
- play/send those 32 midi tracks from Live to Machinedrum again, which should result in the same output sounds from Machinedrum in the best case scenario.

Also I do not own or know how a Machinedrum works internally, so you would need to explain it to a Machinedrum non-user and non-owner.

What is the solution you are using currently?

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:20 pm

would be nice if some workaround for this basic problem could be found.
The basic problem afai understand is that , in principle, a miditrack can only output to one midichannel. So we need a trick to enable us to output mididata on multiple channels from one miditrack (as the topictitle implies)
I have a specific situation where , by selecting a patch on my Xboard49, a different programchangemessage is being sent on each of the 16 midichannels. This patchchange is sent to a Live-miditrack and routed via Midiyoke to ProteusX2 standalone to achieve the selection of a different instrument on each channel in Proteus.
Right now I have to set up a seperate miditrack for each midichannel to route each midichannel from the Xboard to the corresponding channel in Proteus. Proteus has 64 channels so it takes some Live-realestate.
A midifilter (like MidiChannelFilter) is able to restrict the output to a specific midichannel so ,in theory,you could setup one miditrack with an instrument-rack with multiple (16) external instruments each sending to another midichannel but all receiving the Xboard PCMs and then use the midichannelfilter to restrict the channel each PCM is sent on (not restricting the midichannels results in all channels in Proteus receiving from all channels sent from the Xboard which in the end results in all Proteuschannels receiving the last PCM sent by the Xboard). However such a midichannelfilter is handled as a midiinstrument itself and thus replaces the external instrument in the rack.
Perhaps there is a midichannelfilter (or "midichannelexpander") plugin that can be combined with an ext.instrument to provide this functionality?

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:41 am

Importance of Multichannel Presets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7FTarTrVZA
Create Kontakt Multi-Channel Preset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq-AEcj8ODA
Create UVI Workstation Multi-Channel [url]Preset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1CBGiGGrA[/url]
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:08 pm

^that is the only option if no workaround can be found for sending midimessages on multiple midichannels from ONE miditrack.

ReasonliveUSER

Post by ReasonliveUSER » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 pm

SubFunk wrote:
crumhorn wrote:It would be nice of Ableton if they could store the original MIDI channel with every note recorded and then add MIDI channel as a rack chain selector and have various utility functions like "Split to multiple tracks"

But I guess there would be endless little tweaks needed throughout the program to support it properly - Like exporting Type 1 MIDI files for example.
use logic for that, oops :oops: i should not have said that, my bad! sorry.
IDK but could he just make a instrument rack with different chains and have each chain contain an external instrument with each each external instrument set to a different midi channel and then select the ch you wish to use either by activating// deactivating the chain or by putting each of these external instruments on a chain selector zone :?: this is how I make huge racks with all my hardware with all midi ch already assigned i.e. a given track will have a rack with
device chain 1 with a midi external instrument with the audio on and midi ch set to port 1 ch 1
device chain 2 with a midi external instrument with the audio off and midi ch set to port 1 ch 1
(audio is off so that it does double since the 1st chain is receiving audio from the 1st chain)
device chain 2 with a midi external instrument with the audio off and midi ch set to port 1 ch 3
and so on and so on

I do this to layer all my midi devices in one track.

could this work for you
http://therightbros.blogspot.com
Computer: 2.16Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 17''Imac w/ 500gb internal HD 3gigs of ram on Snow Leopard
Software: Ableton Live 8 Suite & Propellerhead Reason 5
Storage: 5x OWC Mercury Elite 1TB HD
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O