Ableton Live 8 and ArKaos Grand VJ

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
tiburce

Ableton Live 8 and ArKaos Grand VJ

Post by tiburce » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi
I use Live 8 and Arkaos for a while. But I have a problem which is a very big problem on stage when it occurs.
So I would like to know if it's a normal problem and if someone has a fixing solution :

My use of Live is to playback music and to trigger effects and to control parameters in Arkaos via MIDI. I use Yoke virtual midi interface (output in Live and input in arkaos - standard ;-)) but I observe this thing : I need to launch Arkaos First (aka before Live) otherwise GrandVJ doesn't receveid Midi signal from Live. Is it normal ?
your answer is very important because here is the problem :

if Arkaos fails during a live performance, I need to quit Live too !!!!! after that I have to launch Arkao First, to load my video set, and after to launch Live and to load my set... A black out (and screen and ears ;-)) for the audience about 2 to 5 minutes.... it's very very very long !!!

So does anyone have a solution ? does somebody encounter this kind of problem ?*

SO I have to say that it's a very rare issue... but it's possible !!!
Thanks a lot
Tiburce

ToBe

Re: Ableton Live 8 and ArKaos Grand VJ

Post by ToBe » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Hey Tiburce, r you on Mac or WIN ?

I m on MAC doing the same thing, well, just played around with Arkaos Demo really - but! - I had a virtual Midi Bus from Arkaos in Live, so I sent all my midi messages straight into this one - worked fine. So thats just one idea that maybe the MIDI-Yoke Software in between is causing the problem?

Let me know!

Cheers Tobi

tiburce

Post by tiburce » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 am

Hi Tobi
Thanks for your answer. But did you test to launch Live First and Arkaos in second ? If so, are you midi notes and controllers working correctly ? Personnaly with this kind of launching sequence, no midi event is sent to arkaos.
how do you configure your virtual midi bus ?

Thanks a lot
Tiburce

ToBe

Post by ToBe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 am

Hey Tiburce - my MBP is under hardware maintenance at the moment, so I cant check it out if its working if I launch Arkaos first... but I cant remember having this issue (if that helps).

If you create a midi track in ableton you can set the midi out of this track to arkaos directly, which lets you controll arkaos with this track. inside this track you could create midi clips (in ableton) with different midi notes, which you need to midi map inside arkaos.
you could then (midi or key or w ur midicontroller) map these midi clips parallel to your other audio/sound midi clips. Does this make sense to you?

How is your midi sends from ableton to arkaos routing look like? Maybe you doing this already this way?

Cheers Tobi
(FREE) MAX for LIVE devices
http://blog.abletondrummer.com/free-max ... e-devices/

ABLETON LIVE for (but not only) DRUMMERS
http://www.abletondrummer.com

tiburce

Post by tiburce » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Tobi

Yes I know how to control Arkaos via MIDI Notes and Controllers... the only problem I have is the one I described... Arkaos told me that it is normal... so I have to accept, but it's a big problem... cause I play video live (Vjing) and one day during a rehearsal, Arkaos failed.... so Live played music without problems... but I as soon as I launched again Arkaos, MIDI events were no more sent to Arkaos !!! The only way to well work is to quit Live, when to launch Arkaos, and then Live... but during this time the audience don't see videos and don't hear audio !!!! I need to find a B-Plan to be sure that, if the problem occur during my show, audience would hear music without live (probably iPod or CD player connected to a mixing desk )
So Have a great night (or day)
Tiburce

ToBe

Post by ToBe » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Ok I did get your problem but I m guessing it has something to do with the midi routing your using/arkaos midi bus functionality.

I tried turning of and on both ways, the funny thing for me there s only a problem the other way round!
-Opening Ableton first - Arkaos 2nd - OK
-opening Arkaos first Ableton second - arkaos midi bus not working BUT if I switch to another virtual midi bus midi s is getting through! Try changing virtual midi bus after restarting arkaos- maybe that could be a solution without having to quit Live live....

Cheers Tobi
(FREE) MAX for LIVE devices
http://blog.abletondrummer.com/free-max ... e-devices/

ABLETON LIVE for (but not only) DRUMMERS
http://www.abletondrummer.com

tiburce

Post by tiburce » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:44 am

hi
It's seemed I found the problem !!!
I believe Midi Yoke under Windows 7 is the problem
I have installed Live and GrandVj on a new hard drive...
without Yoke, Rewire works fine...
I use now LoopBe as Virtual Midi Driver... everything looks right...
But I need to test deeply to be sure Arkaos and/or live won't crash anymore...

So : DON'T USE YOKE UNDER WINDOWS 7... this driver is unstable and crash
GrandVJ and somtimes Live.