Ableton Looper creates pops and clicks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spkey

Ableton Looper creates pops and clicks

Post by spkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm

This might have already been logged as an issue, maybe not, however I am getting clicks and pops every time I'm trying to export a loop using the "drag me" functionality.

I would appreciate if anyone has anything to suggest on how to export a loop using Live's looper without the clicks and pops.

Many thanks in advance

fiver

Re: Ableton Looper creates pops and clicks

Post by fiver » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 pm

have you messed with your buffer size at all?

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 pm

spkey wrote:using Live's looper without the clicks and pops.
Many thanks in advance
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! :lol:

Sorry man, I gave up on looper and went back to hardware a long time ago. I would suggest that the clicks and pops might already be there before the drag. It doesn't handle the punch out (or in) point well. Some people say it works fine. What hardware are you controlling it with? Hope u can get it to work. Good luck.

spkey

Post by spkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:40 am

@fiver don't think so, I've experimented a bit with latency but it didn't make any difference.

@anybody human The clicks aren't there at source. It's a prerecorded guitar loop I'm trying to loop.

It seems that changing the period from 1/8 to 1/2 improved the situation substantially, having said that I guess this suggests a CPU situation rather than a looper problem?

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 pm

I didn't mean clicks from the source material, I meant from using Looper since it's very spotty at the punch in/out points. I'm not sure why hardware loopers seem to handle this better. A manual crossfade or loop point could help in a clip or simpler/sampler.

Edit: ot wouldn't be CPU unless the meter at the top right of the screen is pretty high, that would affect all audio. In that case increase your buffer size in preferences.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:16 pm

never had pops and clicks when used it every weekend for gigs.

keep workin at it, sometimes you have to adjust your playing to get the attack transient after (or before) the punch in.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:45 pm

I agree, practice your punch ins, takes a while to get the hang of. Could be the contoller/trigger I was using. I had better luck with FCB1010 than a pedal thru a midi keyboard, should try again. Hardware too, my E.H. 2880 is effortless & 4 tracks, and L.6 DL4 is easier than the newer Jam Man.

spkey

Post by spkey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 am

Guys,

It's not doing any clicks while I loop live (on real time).
It creates clicks and pops only after I drag the loop to a new channel.
The clicks and pops are also not at the end or beginning of the phrase but everywhere within the phrase.

Apologies if I confuse you but I just upgraded from Live 6 to Live 8 and lots of concepts I see I'm not entirely familiar with. If you need more information to help me troubleshoot please let me know!

Many thanks

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:56 pm

Yup. Same issue here. Been that way for awhile. In fact, I've got pops & clicks BEFORE I drag the sample. They occur at the same spot each time.

You're basically fucked. If just ONE person doesn't have the same issue, it's thrown into the 'user is a douchebag' pile.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm

I see. My bad.

Workaround: set up another channel to resample the loop instead of draggin it.

This would at least tell u if he dragging is screwing u over. Zebra, ur totally screwed, have u changed buffer settings etc?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Jekblad wrote: Zebra, ur totally screwed, have u changed buffer settings etc?

Ja. Everything has been tried. Doesn't do it in 8.1.1, but I can't use that version because of massive pops that happen at the start of recorded clip launches - so I'm on 8.0.9 - where that problem is gone but the Looper problem exists.

*sigh*
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

tomatoe_joe

Post by tomatoe_joe » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:05 am

For what it's worth, I seem to be noticing more pops and clicks in 8.1.1 also. Even when sending the Looper output to another track, rather than 'dragging' out of Looper.

spkey

Post by spkey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:39 am

Jekblad, great suggestion!
I will try your advice and let you know the outcome.

Also, as I mentioned previously, changing the loop period from 1/8T to 1/2 improved my situation massively - though there are still pops and clicks.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:17 pm

And there are pops and clicks just normally when it should be simply looping?

Have u tried ur global quantize at one bar?

Have u guys tried looping the output of a simpler or vst? Or if that's what you've been doing, a live instrument?

fiver

Post by fiver » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:39 pm

@fiver don't think so, I've experimented a bit with latency but it didn't make any difference.
yeah, i dont think that messing with the latency would make much difference.

after you record your loop, increase your buffer size to about twice(or more) what it was when you recorded, then drag it over, and see if that makes a difference.

what i think is happening here, is that when live takes all of the different passes(all of the loops you've added) of audio files and renders them as a separate combined file(when you drag it elsewhere), it is sucking down more CPU than your buffer size is allowing it to use.