USB hub recommendations?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cway

USB hub recommendations?

Post by cway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:06 pm

First of all i am sorry if this has been mentioned before. I currently have an oxygen8 and a launchpad and I am planning on buying a zero sl mkII therefore thinking of buying a USB hub. I have used google and found no recommendations but have read things about latency and automap problems and I want to avoid this. I would love to hear from anyone who's using a similar setup to me or if anyone has any recommendations.

tlennon

Re: USB hub recommendations?

Post by tlennon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:20 pm

There should be no audible latency using a USB hub. I have been using one forever and have not experience any such problems. The only concern is your hardware manufacturer's recommendation in using a hub at all. I have NI Kore hardware connected to a hub and must pull the USB cable out and in after each boot for it to connect properly. Yamaha suggest that you not use a hub to connect a Motif. And it is never a good idea to connect a dongle or ilok to a hub. These are the issues you may experience.
Terrence Lennon

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:21 pm

belkin or D-Link hubs powered are reliable, i have a 7 hub belkin since years that hosts controllers, midi hub, computer keyboard and hard disks, no problems.

that said i was looking recently for a really slim new 4x hub (also powered) and did not found a design from D-Link or belkin i liked and got a recommendation form an old colleague at my old work, he is a very good hardware developer and really knows his stuff, he recommended me a company called Lindy, and i found from them a really slim 4 port design i liked, i ordered it, so i can't say how good it is yet, but i always could trust blind recommendations the guy made previously, so i don't expect any trouble.

http://www.lindy.de/

http://www.lindy.co.uk/
*** Image GAFM ***

jimi_k

Post by jimi_k » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:41 pm

I use a cheap as chips "generic no brand" 7 port powered usb hub running 4 midi controllers with no problems!, just be sure to run any audio interfaces through there own dedicated port!
macbook 1st gen unibody 2ghz/4gb 10.5.8
live suite8.1.1
novation nio
launchpad
axiom 25&61
novation bass station keyboard
laney vc50
esp ec,ibanez s series,fender 57'strat
boss/ibanez/g2d/crybaby guitar pedals
espresso coffee machine;)

cway

Post by cway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks for the replies people it has cleared things up and I will shop around this week!

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Belkins have insane short ass power adapters so make sure if you do go belkin, to make sure it has a long one. Or go Iogear. I have a belkin and the power cord is 1 1/2 feet long...how retarded is that. Going to be buying another 7 port and its probably going to be an iogear this time.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Bleep Blop Ima Robot wrote:Belkins have insane short ass power adapters so make sure if you do go belkin, to make sure it has a long one. Or go Iogear. I have a belkin and the power cord is 1 1/2 feet long...how retarded is that. Going to be buying another 7 port and its probably going to be an iogear this time.
well, i think it is more a mater of knowing it, i have a belkin and it has a long cable i have to coil up to avoid mess, i would happy trade it into a very short one... it depends on the needs, i think D-Links are super save, the thing about belkin is that they have a lot of very unusual designs, that can come in handy depending on your needs such as short cables :wink: or how the ports are placed, etc.

i ordered a new Lindy (4x powered) mainly because i was looking for a very particular design that i could not find from belkin or d-link.
*** Image GAFM ***

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:33 pm

yeah i agree belkin does have some funky designs, i have this tiny ass 7 port from them, like its only 4 inces long, but gets the job done, i dont really have a problem with short cables, some might tho, as on new egg i went and read through multiple products with people complaining about short power adaptors. Mine just always falls behind my desk and i have to go under and string it back up...now i just loop what i can around one of my nobs on my mpk lol. Ill have to check out this lindy as im looking for a new or an additional hub.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

jimyson

Post by jimyson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 am

D-Link DUB-H7

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:37 am

jimyson wrote:Image

D-Link DUB-H7
Very disappointed in my 6 month old D-Link 7 Hub. Caused issues with my sound card and some software prog's on my Mac. Have not tried it on my PC yet as a double check. All I know is I can't run it any more. Makes the comp boot in safe mode :(
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:55 am

^ that's not a problem with your hub. if there was something wrong with the hub, it would just fail. it wouldn't cause a computer to start in safe mode. it might be a peripheral plugged into the hub but a hub only shows up as extra usb ports. try it with the PC and let us know. i've got 4 d-link hubs (three 7-port and one 4-port) and none of them have ever failed. i've had them for at least 2 years now.

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:09 am

McQ714 wrote:^ that's not a problem with your hub. if there was something wrong with the hub, it would just fail. it wouldn't cause a computer to start in safe mode. it might be a peripheral plugged into the hub but a hub only shows up as extra usb ports. try it with the PC and let us know. i've got 4 d-link hubs (three 7-port and one 4-port) and none of them have ever failed. i've had them for at least 2 years now.
OK... will give it a go again on the macbook as well as the PC. Strange thing is all the peripherals were the same as I have always used. Also, Sibelius took a dump as well, loosing all of the note heads on all of the sib files. It was not a font issue because as soon I unplugged the D-Link and rebooted all is well. On top of that I tried all of the peripherals individually and none of them crashed the macbook. :?
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Abby

Post by Abby » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:59 am

hi there

belkin makes one for the mini, but never used it, so cant vouch,try for it and go for it

thanks
Abby

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:14 am

I have a Belkin powered hub and it's pretty nice because it has 5 on the side and 2 on top, and it's slim.
Looks like this is the newer version (ooh jet black instead of matted grey!). It has 3 on the side and one on top that you can connect a portable 4 input adaptor to, that might be cool as you could take the 4 adaptor thing to gigs maybe, but then it wouldn't be powered anymore. Anyhoo...

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage. ... _Id=377068#

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:13 pm

the Lindy powered 4x hub (can be used unpowered as well) just arrived, makes a solid impression, well built, short USB cable (which i like, cause you split from there again with longer cables) long cable, very light, small electronic international switch PSU. and what totally jumped at me is the fact that the PSU adapter locks really tight with a solid fat click into it, there is no worry that you pull it out by mistake if you use it on a stage, if that pulls out then you drag your whole equipment on the cable across the stage before that.

it was 16 euros @ thomann, recommended

german: http://www.thomann.de/de/lindy_usb_20_smartprohub.htm

english: http://www.thomann.de/gb/lindy_usb_20_smartprohub.htm
*** Image GAFM ***