Fx chain for vocal channels

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Rave

Fx chain for vocal channels

Post by Rave » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:28 pm

I need your help fellow Abletonians.
I would like to know if there is a good practice in adding fx to a vocal channel and also what order would you recommend?

Here is a track I am working on. The idea is i give it to a vocalist to sing properly.

http://soundcloud.com/aronbas/lil-emotional-vocal-mix

The vocal channel was recorded in mono using cubase and touched up with vari audio. I added a couple of cubase presets such as vocal lead eq , compression and gate then mixed it down and ported it into ableton.

Cheers

heavensdaw

Re: Recommended Fx chain for vocal channels

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Just listened to the track bro.. you got that vocal well low in the mix with almost the fx louder than the source.. I realize that is not the performance you want, but, is that the sound you're after?

I'm in no way an expert.. But I'm finding Voxengos Voxformer2 http://www.voxengo.com/product/voxformer/ to be a really valuable addition to my plugin arsenal .. It is very simple to use and sounds pretty fookin great imo.. You could try and create a chain in Live Gate/Compressor/EQ/Saturator or Limiter but tbh I haven't got anywhere close to achieving the sound I'm getting with V2.. It helps to focus the voice really well in the mix also..

One other thing recording a voice is all about 'recording' it well.. ie.. good front end mic and pre's are so very important. As obviously is a good performance from the vocalist!

Like the melody of the tune geezer! 8)

Hd

shimmy

Re: Fx chain for vocal channels

Post by shimmy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Last edited by shimmy on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks guys I really appreciate.

@HD just call me swampy (with the fx) from now on :lol:
TBH the vocal mix sounds at the right level to me if not a little loud on some systems. I haven't A/B ed it with any other vocal tracks though because i tend not to play them so I guess that is my next task :)

Thanks once again

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:54 am

Slam it
Crank it
Brickwall it
Spank it
Saturate it
Overload it

Then have a beer and record some vocals.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:01 pm

:D

When are you gonna invite me for a 'session' over at yours?

Hd

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Assuming just you 'Summer time' :mrgreen: I got a big pool, a fridge full of beer, loads of grub, music and stuff including a laser (arriving soon) :lol: all on me for a weekend but no 'party food' as my 'friend' is 'away' for a long time :cry:

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Hey Ravey boy.. Or should I say 'swampy' :D

How you getting on with the vocals?

What's up with your friend?
djsynchro wrote:Slam it
Crank it
Brickwall it
Spank it
Saturate it
Overload it

Then have a beer and record some vocals.
That's what I was referring to when I asked for an invite.. synchro does paint a pretty picture! :D

And yeah WE must hook up sometime... we keep promising :wink: Let's do it!!

Hd

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 pm

I also have Voxformer, I like it and use it in about 60% of the work I do. It's good because you can set it up as one compressor, one de-esser, gate and saturation all in one plugin.

I am a fan of slap back delay for that John Lennon type effect, it works better in mono IMO. (a delay set to about 50-80ms or 1/32 tempo sync (it's usually better not to sync it but each case varies) depending on tempo of the song with mix of about 25% and feedback of around 25-30).

Compression, the better the singer, the less is required, if you're a total hack like me, then something like a 4:1 ratio is required with a fairly quick attack and medium release.

If you don't do the tape slap, some other type of modulation FX is good, a light chorus, I like the cloner plugin in Cubase, which is like a short multi tap delay with detune for a rich effect.

I always use reverb too, typically layered, one short plate or small room with a longer predelay as the main effect and one medium room or small hall with shorter predelay or wiped and used just as a tiny hint of extra ambience, will probably play with early reflections to vary them too for a richer sound.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.