i found the perfect studio monitors!(Genelec)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TAPPY42

Re: i found the perfect studio monitors!(Genelec)

Post by TAPPY42 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 am

i got some 8040a's. just stunning sound on em!

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:41 pm

For you people who know Genelecs, as I look to replace my (currently broken) Adam A7 monitors...

My room sucks. It's 10Wx20Lx8H feet (1600 cu. ft.). My mixing desk is a few feet out from the short wall. My ears about about 3.5 to 4 feet from the speaker. I plan to put at least some treatment in the room, but don't have too much to spend on that.

According to Genelec, the 6010A is what I should choose. Seriously? I was thinking it'd be between the 8020 and 8030. I don't see how I could possibly get by with even the 8020B (a 4" driver). My Adams have a 6.5" driver. Is Genelec's guide just assuming that everyone will get the matching sub (for another grand!)? Could I go with a pair of 8030 and no sub, instead of a pair of 8020 with a sub?

http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/ ... selection/

Also, why is there an 8020B, while all the other ones end in "A"?
Last edited by dave999z on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:22 pm

"The 8020B bi-amplified active monitoring system, an update to the 8020A, offers improved features with a particular emphasis placed on environmental care. The system—measuring 9.53x5.94x5.59 inches (HxWxD)—has been designed for monitoring work in difficult listening environments, particularly those compromised by lack of space.

The basic change in the “B” model is the addition of a mains power switch, now located on the enclosure’s rear panel. The rotary front panel control is used for sound level adjustment only. The audio signal can still be muted (the front LED stays on) in turning the front panel volume knob fully counterclockwise, but actual mains power is only switched off using the rear panel on/off power switch, which turns the front LED on/off. This also enables turning the power off without changing the set level. Along with this change, the second rear-mounted XLR connector has been removed. This new control configuration offers new options for environmentally conscious users and those looking to cut down on energy consumption."

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:24 pm

dave999z wrote: Could I go with a pair of 8030 and no sub, instead of a pair of 8020 with a sub?
Theres really no point in using a sub when mixing, if you don't have a really REALLY good treated room with bass traps. It will only fuck you up.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:33 pm

ze2be wrote:
dave999z wrote: Could I go with a pair of 8030 and no sub, instead of a pair of 8020 with a sub?
Theres really no point in using a sub when mixing, if you don't have a really REALLY good treated room with bass traps. It will only fuck you up.
i personally totally agree, yet it is very individual and can't be answered as such, you need to figure that out, what works best for you!?

i have witnessed and experienced more 'damage' when mixing with subs if it is not top notch perfectly treated rooms / setups.
*** Image GAFM ***

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:19 pm

dave999z wrote:For you people who know Genelecs, as I look to replace my (currently broken) Adam A7 monitors...

My room sucks. It's 10Wx20Lx8H feet (1600 cu. ft.). My mixing desk is on the short wall, unfortunately. My ears about about 3.5 to 4 feet from the speaker. I plan to put at least some treatment in the room, but don't have too much to spend on that.

According to Genelec, the 6010A is what I should choose. Seriously? I was thinking it'd be between the 8020 and 8030. I don't see how I could possibly get by with even the 8020B (a 4" driver). My Adams have a 6.5" driver. Is Genelec's guide just assuming that everyone will get the matching sub (for another grand!)? Could I go with a pair of 8030 and no sub, instead of a pair of 8020 with a sub?

Believe it or not but 8020 really does have more punch in the bass than Adam A7. A7 plays deeper though.
Personally I think that Adam sounds better, as in if I want to listen to music for enjoyment I prefer Adam. For tracking and mixing I prefer Genelecs though. To me they are better tools.

If you are going for a pair of Genelecs I'd advice that you get 8020 or 8030. 6010 are quite small and the difference in price between them and 8020 isn't that big. If your budget allows - go for 8030 and don't look back :)
Mac, Live, Logic, Cubase, Reason, Renoise and a bunch of VSTs

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:33 pm

Genelecs are rubbish.

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 pm

djsynchro wrote:Genelecs are rubbish.
Would you care to elaborate?

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:10 pm

gumpbert wrote:
dave999z wrote:For you people who know Genelecs, as I look to replace my (currently broken) Adam A7 monitors...

My room sucks. It's 10Wx20Lx8H feet (1600 cu. ft.). My mixing desk is on the short wall, unfortunately. My ears about about 3.5 to 4 feet from the speaker. I plan to put at least some treatment in the room, but don't have too much to spend on that.

Believe it or not but 8020 really does have more punch in the bass than Adam A7. A7 plays deeper though.
Personally I think that Adam sounds better, as in if I want to listen to music for enjoyment I prefer Adam. For tracking and mixing I prefer Genelecs though. To me they are better tools.

If you are going for a pair of Genelecs I'd advice that you get 8020 or 8030. 6010 are quite small and the difference in price between them and 8020 isn't that big. If your budget allows - go for 8030 and don't look back :)
My monitors do double for just listening. I think Adams are good for that. Except that they BREAK.

So, 8030s would not be too much for my room?

I know subs can mess you up, but I think it's better than not having a clue as to what's going on below 60 Hz. I imagine you have to learn them like anything else.

Another question... Do genelecs break? I'm so pissed about these Adams, I am sort of reluctant to replace them with even more expensive monitors. I know good monitors are important, they really help. But I can barely afford them, and if they're going to break, then I can't afford them.

On a tangent, anyone have thoughts about Focals?

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 pm

dave999z wrote:My monitors do double for just listening. I think Adams are good for that. Except that they BREAK.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've had my A7:s for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems at all.
dave999z wrote: So, 8030s would not be too much for my room?
A7 is actually a bigger monitor, so if those work for you, so should 8030.
dave999z wrote: I know subs can mess you up, but I think it's better than not having a clue as to what's going on below 60 Hz. I imagine you have to learn them like anything else.
A pair of headphones will probably give you a better understanding of what's happening in the low end than a sub in a room that has no treatment.
dave999z wrote: Another question... Do genelecs break? I'm so pissed about these Adams, I am sort of reluctant to replace them with even more expensive monitors. I know good monitors are important, they really help. But I can barely afford them, and if they're going to break, then I can't afford them.
None of mine has broken yet. They are built like tanks, in Finland. I wouldn't be surprised if they live longer than me ;)
dave999z wrote:On a tangent, anyone have thoughts about Focals?
I have only heard CMS 50 and CMS 65, and I can't say I was impressed. In my opinion the Genelecs are more detailed and present a more accurate sound. They seem to be liked by others though so do give them a chance. You should also consider RCF Mytho. In my opinion they are better sounding than the Focals.

bhc303

Post by bhc303 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:36 pm

I am still tossing up between 8030a with a 7050b or just a set of 8040a with no sub, I do all electronic stuff, I rent, so my studio space changes every once and a while & i don't think the land lord would like me treating the room...

Thoughts?

cheers

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:43 pm

bhc303 wrote:I am still tossing up between 8030a with a 7050b or just a set of 8040a with no sub, I do all electronic stuff, I rent, so my studio space changes every once and a while & i don't think the land lord would like me treating the room...

Thoughts?

cheers
I would pick 8040. Subs are tricky to get to sound good.

Jens Burkert

Post by Jens Burkert » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am

Last summer I was about to replace my gens 1030a with a pair of 8030. Fortunately I decided to invest at first in the room acoustics. So I bought a low priced measurement microphone and did some extensive testings. I really couldnt believe how bad my room was. Giant peaks and combs all over the spectrum. Then I bought rockwool, big plastic bags and black fabric for around 400 Euro and built around 30 tube-like, very big absorbers. I placed them in almost every corner of the room and above my sitting position.
To cut a long story short, I love my room now and I still have my 1030. I wont sell them. I know them and I like them more then ever. They sound much more expensive then before. But I have noticed one thing. They roll off really steep below 50 Hz. So I bought an Adam Sub8, calibrated it in 15 minutes (thanks to the measurement micro) and now everything is fine.

With just a new pair 8030s I wouldnt even come close to the sound I have now.

I have attached you a before/after-image of the low frequncy response of my room. The after image is without the sub.

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 am

gumpbert wrote: A pair of headphones will probably give you a better understanding of what's happening in the low end than a sub in a room that has no treatment.
Yeah, I have Sennheiser HD 650 phones. They are useful for that.

Thanks for the input.

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:31 pm

Jens Burkert wrote:Last summer I was about to replace my gens 1030a with a pair of 8030. Fortunately I decided to invest at first in the room acoustics. So I bought a low priced measurement microphone and did some extensive testings. I really couldnt believe how bad my room was. Giant peaks and combs all over the spectrum. Then I bought rockwool, big plastic bags and black fabric for around 400 Euro and built around 30 tube-like, very big absorbers. I placed them in almost every corner of the room and above my sitting position.
To cut a long story short, I love my room now and I still have my 1030. I wont sell them. I know them and I like them more then ever. They sound much more expensive then before. But I have noticed one thing. They roll off really steep below 50 Hz. So I bought an Adam Sub8, calibrated it in 15 minutes (thanks to the measurement micro) and now everything is fine.

With just a new pair 8030s I wouldnt even come close to the sound I have now.

I have attached you a before/after-image of the low frequncy response of my room. The after image is without the sub.

WOW! you got pics?