doepfer pocket dial & live ? grmbl ...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lb

doepfer pocket dial & live ? grmbl ...

Post by lb » Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:22 pm

Bleh ...

Thanks to some guy on this message board I ordered a pocket dial in assumption that his statement was correct. However, this is wrong. Thanks for making me spend >$200 when I would be able to do the same with my phatboy !!!

Well, the problem is that I wanted to use it as an endless controller, meaning I could save a song in a certain state and once I opened it again, I could control the volume by saying "+/- the current value". To my horror, it doesn't work that way. In Live the controller makes a jump to the default value and continues from there ... not what I wanted ... you have a volume that is 0 and you want to go up smoothly, it first jumps to 100 and then continues it's way. That sucks.

I think 1.5 will solve this problem, but I have a concert next week and thought this investment would be earned instantly. A sarcastic thanks to the guy who was screaming it worked that way.

-- LB

FrankH

RTFM!!!!!!!!

Post by FrankH » Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:51 pm

No reason to get rude,
JUST READ THE MESSAGE
You are not using the right preset.
Use preset 111.
Here is my original message:

To all,

WOW, yerterday i got my self the Doepfer Pocket Dial.
This realy is the ultimate controler.
16 Knobs, 4 Banks, 16 MIDI chanels = 1024! controlers on one single unit.
For controling AL (Ableton Live) i use Preset 111, dipswitches to 0111 0110.

Stop looking for midi controlers, get a pocket dial (No, i'm not a Doepfer Salesman).
I've been looking for a 4-controll, milennium, phat-boy, all these unit's were not what i was looking for.
But this unit is the solution for diehard Live users like me.

Best regards,

Frank Heijkamp

lb

Post by lb » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:13 pm

Hey Frank,

My apologies, I'll try it right away. Sorry if I sounded rude, but I just spent $200 and really thought someone just "guessed" it would work like that. If it works like you say, please accept my deepest apologies for the bad remarks towards you.

-- LB

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:20 pm

Hi Frank,

Using your dip switch setting [and I also looked into the manual] - I still have the same problem. When I set the midi learn mode and assign rotary button 1 from bank 1 to the volume controller on channel one, and I turn it, it jumps from 0 > 127 or reverse [127 > 0] ... It doesn't progress smoothly like I would like it to do ... I'm completely lost now ... can you explain how it works at your side ?

-- LB

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:01 am

H!

G4-MT4-pockert dial:

befor i had the same problem,but with preset 111 it wørks fine

???

thanx for the preset tip

pe

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:03 am

H!

G4-MT4-pockert dial:

befor i had the same problem,but with preset 111 it wørks fine

???

thanx for the preset tip

pe

FrankH

the green

Post by FrankH » Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:20 pm

Remember the green,

Assigning a relative (Incremental) controler, remember that the knob in live will go from blue to green. When the knob background is colored green it is recognised as a relative controler.
Try it. You didn't know this feature? Well that's no shame because this phenomenom
is called "an undocumented feature".
And remember not to send snapshots from teh Pocket Dial. So, do not press the same bank button twice because that will send the default values.

Enjoy the music,

f

FrankH

RE: the green

Post by FrankH » Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:54 pm

LB

Did you managed to get it working? You'r free to ask if there are any problems.

f

> Using your dip switch setting [and I also looked into the manual] - I still have the same problem. When I set the midi learn mode and assign rotary button 1 from bank 1 to the volume controller on channel one, and I turn it, it jumps from 0 > 127 or reverse [127 > 0] ... It doesn't progress smoothly like I would like it to do ... I'm completely lost now ... can you explain how it works at your side ?

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:56 pm

Hey Frank,

Yes. Dumbass I was ... I didn't install the 1.1 update ... it works awesome now. And I thank you very much for the tip regarding the undocumented feature.

My apologies for starting this thread in an unfriendly fashion.

--LB

FrankH

Enjoy

Post by FrankH » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:36 am

No problem budy, this technical stuff is not always the most easy thing to do, and many times very frustrating :cry:
But once it has been done it will all work great
:!:
And you'll agree, Live and the Pocket Dial together are a revolution.

I made a template song with over 300 pre-asigned knobs.
I can mix a lot faster than on an ordinary mixingdesk, because the knobs are not so much spread over the surface of a mixingdesk, less handmovement needed, just some knob turning and BANK - CHN switching.
Once you're used to this methode, it works very fast.
And the best thing i like, you can connect more than one Pocket Dial to Live. Me doing the arrangements, my partner doing the mixing, and one Pocket Dial in front of the stage, for performing some stunts. Well that's the plan, just need some time to practice the performing.

Hope you'll have many hours of Live fun.

Enjoy the music!

f

gemalcolm

Post by gemalcolm » Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:21 pm

i was considering purchasing the doepfer drehbank, 64 knobs...but the way you describe the pocket dial this might be a better lower cost solution to the "knob gap"

thanks for the info...wish i could try out both before purchasing to see what would work best for me, but unfortunately doepfer only has one outlet for sales in the US, in nebraska, and when i say the name doepfer in any local music store i get blank looks.
GREG MALCOLM // TWINE // HTTP://TWINESOUND.COM

FrankH

oh hi oh

Post by FrankH » Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:09 pm

Hi gemalcolm,
gemalcolm wrote: ...when i say the name doepfer in any local music store i get blank looks.
Yes, Doepfer is a small german factory with not many outlets. So just give a blank face back and order it somewere else. BTW. you can also order online at Doepfers website http://www.doepfer.com.
But without joking, you would definitely like the Pocket Dial. It's far more flexible then the Drehbank, especially when using software and automation (Automating faders and controlers, recording and playback of controler value changes).

Enjoy the controll,

Frank Heijkamp