Mac Mini

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FrankieP

Re: Mac Mini

Post by FrankieP » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Slightlydelic wrote:
FrankieP wrote:Just bought one (2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM)...
I was looking at a 13" Macbook Pro with the same spec but I really didn't need another laptop and I have an Asus 24" monitor I would want to pair it with. The Mac Mini was around $650 less. The extra savings went to the purchase of Logic Studio and other accessories. I bought the system exclusively so I could enroll in some of the Point Blank Online courses.
looks like he same s the one im after, how's it working out for you?
It was just shipped today so i'll probably get it by Friday the latest, if not then Monday next week. I'll report back my findings then.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 pm

FrankieP wrote:
Slightlydelic wrote:
I was looking at a 13" Macbook Pro with the same spec but I really didn't need another laptop and I have an Asus 24" monitor I would want to pair it with. The Mac Mini was around $650 less. The extra savings went to the purchase of Logic Studio and other accessories. I bought the system exclusively so I could enroll in some of the Point Blank Online courses.
It was just shipped today so i'll probably get it by Friday the latest, if not then Monday next week. I'll report back my findings then.
ah ok look forward to it,

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Poster wrote:
Rave wrote:just max the RAM out and you are done.
and as always; do NOT buy the extra RAM @ Apple.. you'll be paying double the price..
Kinda like with the computers

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 am

Slightlydelic wrote:

Okay, got my Mac Mini MC239LL/A (2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor/320GB SATA Hard Drive/4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard) last Tuesday. Here's a short review...

Unboxed and hooked up to my Asus 24" VW246H via HDMI, attached Presonus Firebox via firewire with no problems. Installed Logic Studio, full installation with additional loops and Jampacks took more than 12 freaking hours!!! What a freaking pain!!! Slow as molasses using the built in Superdrive. When the install completed, and after all that painful waiting, the software won't open! I got the dreaded "can't open the application" message! AAAAARRRRGH!!! Reinstalled just Logic this time, still took 2 and a half freakin' hours!!! Sheesh! I was tempted to throw this out the window and go back to my trusty PC running Live 8 and Nuendo!

To make a long story short, once I got it up and running, I opened one of the included demo sessions (The Killers "Spaceman") to preview its performance. 82 tracks with a boatload of Logic plugs and instruments across each track. Audio performance meter and disk I/O barely hitting 40-50% and that's running off a 5400 RPM internal OS disk! I'm impressed! The Mac Mini handled it like a champ. Best bang for the buck Mac system hands down! If you already got a nice monitor, the Mac Mini is the way to go. Just pop a Xanax before you start installing Logic Studio though coz it's a freaking painful wait!

Now time to install Ableton Live Suite...

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:31 pm

That's what I want to hear...mac mini running live 8!!!

jimyson

Post by jimyson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Give me one with an i7 processor and I'm in.

dothedru22

Post by dothedru22 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 pm

jimyson wrote:Give me one with an i7 processor and I'm in.
Build an i7 system for the same price as a mac mini with 6gb of ram, a nicer video card, a nicer hard drive, and over clock to 4ghz and your in. Oh and also run MacOSX.

dothedru22

Post by dothedru22 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 am

Hey guys. I had a couple people message me on this board and also calling my bluff on the i7 build.

Mac Mini(higher end) http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... MINI-INDEX
$799.00

i7 build. Compatible with most hackintosh pre built kernels. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=195248 (this is just the easiest one to setup)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=17773807

total $746. Shipping typically going to come out to $756. Snow leopard $30

Total $786

Easily put a better graphics card and hard drive for just a tad more. Also that board I put in the setup is awesome and 100% full supports mac OSX.

edit:

Silly me. I forgot the dang power supply. Personally you could go on newegg and pull the cheapest PSU and still be 50 times better than whatever Apple will put in it. But I'm going to put this one in there. It's a very nice, and highly reliable psu. I have it in one of my builds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139003

It's $69.

So $856. You could pull at $30 - $40 psu and still be ok. So it put me right over the limit. This doesn't take in account that I didn't do any combo deals. This is straight buying which I would never recommend. There's always combo deals. Especially with PSU's which I didn't do. Still a way better system than the mac mini.